Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ms_thrifty

internet shoe shopping

ms-thrifty
10 years ago

I have been looking at shoes on 6 pm and Zappos. No luck at all and frustrating. Either they are not available in my size or like if they are shown in brown at $69.00 and I want black the price is $109.00. Have you had similar experiences? Know why the price difference the colors-popularity?

I am loving the lower chunky heels an thinking of replacing some ballet flats with them for fall and winter. also they are not out in stores here yet. Of course don't need them yet either.

Comments (5)

• camlan
    10 years ago

The price difference is usually that one color is being added or continued--the higher priced one-- and the other color is being discontinued. Or the lower priced color isn't selling as well, so it's on sale to move more product.

I have to buy wide width shoes, which many shoe stores don't carry, or they only buy one pair of wide shoes per size, i.e. they may buy 20 pairs of size 7 and one pair of size 7 wide. So I do most of my shoe buying on the internet. It's just like any other store--popular things sell out quickly.

And these days, on-line retailers seem to be carrying less inventory than they did even 5 years ago. I've noticed if I don't buy something right when I see it the first time, if I come back, several sizes and colors will be sold out. Fewer sales, too.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Shoes threads come up often. As we age, we want comfort as well as style. Some of us have had difficulty due to size and width. Me, for example. Small wide foot.
    I know your screen name is ms-thrifty, but there sometimes you have to bite the bullet. A comfortable pair of shoes is well worth any price.
    My go to places: Aerosole, and Easy Spirit. I check out the shoe departments in Macy's and Lord and Taylor.
    There is now a crocs store, although not close to me. I like the sandles and ballet flats.
    Macy's in NYC has a whole department dedicated to comfortable shoes, so you can probably get them online.
    Check out Walking on a Cloud.com. Some of the shoes cana be expensive, but you if you find something, you might be able to go to Zappos and get it for free shipping.

• gwlolo
    10 years ago

My experience is similar to camlan. I have wide feet and like platform wedges as I am short and love the height and the stability. I pretty much have only been buying shoes online for the past 8 years. I love being able to search, filter and sort. The reviews on sites like zappos are often detailed and spot on. Free returns help. Incidentally I also reduced my shoe shopping to about 3 pairs a year - a summer flats, a clog or wedge and a pair for work.

• camlan
    10 years ago

If you find a shoe you really like, you can always google the name of the shoe to find other on-line retailers who carry it. There's always the chance it might be on sale, or available in your size/color, at another web site.

• deegw
    10 years ago

I second camlan's suggestion. I have found Zappos shoes on all kinds of online retailers - manufacturer's website, department stores and other online shoe stores like shoebuy and footsmart.