Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

My Sweet Furkid's Terrible Post-Op Complications

lynninnewmexico
10 years ago

I am devastated. My sweet dobie, Ronin, had to have a toe on his right front paw amputated last week. I took him in initially because he had started limping and I thought he might have somehow broken or sprained his toe. It was quite swollen and icing it and keeping him off it did not see to help. The vet (a new one for us because our longtime vet retired) examined it and took an x-ray of the foot. He told me that it looked like a large osteosarcoma (cancerous bone tumor) in that toe. He said that these kind of cancers are more common in large German breed dogs such as Dobermans, Rottweiler's, German Shepherds, etc. as they get older.

We scheduled the amputation of the toe for last Tuesday. It all went well the vet told me and sent us on our way around 5PM that evening (8 hours post-op) with instructions to bring him back the following Tuesday (this past Tuesday) and gave me a bottle of meds for pain.

I'd told him we had to drive with DD back to college at the University of Oklahoma on that Saturday morning and would be flying back Monday evening, but that our housesitter would be there with him those 3 days and could bring him in before if he wanted to see Ronin earlier. He told me no and that following Tuesday would be fine.

This past Tuesday I took him back for his check-up and the foot is terribly infected with open oozing sores caused by the bandages being put on too tightly and no antibiotics given and some of the tissue has died from lack of blood circulation. The toe next to the amputated one is hugely swollen and tissue necrotized. The vet apologized profusely and blamed himself. There is a very high possibility that my poor boy will have to have the next toe or even his foot amputated in the next few days and I am devastated! And, the biopsy of the toe came back negative for cancer. It was just a badly infected bone cyst.

I feel like the worst mom in the world. Why didn't I think to ask why he wasn't prescribing antibiotics? For pete's sake, his toe was just cut off! And why did I trust this guy when he said Ronin's first post-op visit was 8 days after the surgery?!?!? I trusted him! Those days after his surgery were filled with taking care of Ronin and getting DD packed for college.

Since this past Tuesday, I have been taking him back to the vet's every afternoon (30 minutes away) to have his foot checked and dressing changed. Last night DH, a family practice doc, called the vet and suggested we put him on a super-antibiotic. DH was a pharmacist for 5 years before heading to medical school, so he knows his drugs. The vet agreed. 8 pills cost over $100, but Ronin is so worth every penny and more.

I am sick with worry and feel so responsible because I took him to this new vet and then stupidly trusted his decisions. Now I need a miracle so that my sweet furkid doesn't lose another toe or his entire foot.

Will you keep him in your thoughts or prayers for me, please? He's such an innocent, sweet, gentle, loving boy and he didn't deserve this. Below is a pic of him
Lynn

Comments (74)

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thank you! The vet clinic called and they want to keep Ronin over the weekend in order for the doctor to treat his foot intensively over the next 72+ hours . . . but they needed me to drop off his "super antibiotics" that DH had started him on. Sooooo, I've just gotten back from another trip down there.
    We probably won't here anything more until I pick him up on Monday.
    Lynn

• teacats
    10 years ago

Sending along hugs and good strong, healing and very positive thoughts and wishes .....

• Delilah66
    10 years ago

Lynn - I'm so sorry to hear what happened to your dear, noble boy. Such a terrible time for you. I hope to see a report next week that he has turned the corner! I know your weekend will be stressful, but we'll all be thinking of you.

Java

• texanjana
    10 years ago

Lynn,

So sorry for this ordeal for all of you, and especially beautiful Ronin. I am thankful that a new vet is now in charge, and I am praying for complete healing and a positive outcome. Please don't blame yourself for the first vet's negligence. ((((Lynn))))

Jana

• jakabedy
    10 years ago

Poor handsome boy. You have all the well wishes of our pack from the woods of Alabama.

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

Oh poor, poor Ronin! The furheads in the Pesky household are all sending their healing, positive vibes. As are Mr. Pesky and I...we love our babies and know just how you feel!

Oh...Max just looked at Ronin's picture on my screen and schnorted his best wishes.

• runninginplace
    10 years ago

Just saw this and adding to the chorus: so sorry about your baby, and one more thought. Please try not to blame yourself for this. You made the best decision you could with the knowledge you had at the time. For some reason, this philosophy has always helped me so much. Really, if you are a person of integrity and good conscience--as you surely are--you must grant yourself the same grace you would someone else in the same situation. I'm sure you can truthfully say you never intended or imagined the problems that unfolded!

Hope everything goes well this weekend and your beloved pet is back home safe and sound very soon.

Ann

• eandhl
    10 years ago

It is so difficult when our pets have problems. Positive healing thoughts and prayers for Ronin..

• dedtired
    10 years ago

I'm so sorry that Ronin ran into a quack of a vet. What a dumbbell. I'm also happy that he is in good hands now. I hope all will be well.

My family had three Dobies, one after the other. They were all named Rip. My mom tried to give them different names but we just went on calling him Rip. They are such wonderful dogs, so loyal and loving to their family.

I hope Ronin recovers well. Be sure to let us know.

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Busy weekend! The (good) vet called us this morning. He's been treating Ronin's foot 3 times a day and called to tell us that (1) Ronin is not going to have to have another toe or his foot amputated, but that (2) he feels Ronin needs to stay another couple days, at least, at the hospital getting more treatments. The dead tissue has been sloughed off and the scar tissue and fresh tissue has started the healing. I'm going to go spend some time with him tomorrow morning. It breaks my heart that he's been put through all of this trauma and pain, but I am incredibly glad that this wonderful doc has been able to save his foot. More later. Thank you again for your kind thoughts, well wishes and prayers.
    Lynn

• golddust
    10 years ago

Go Ronin! I have full faith that she can get this issue in the past. Thank goodness for great vets.

Still keeping her in my mind...

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

Wonderful news to log on to! I'm so glad that the vet is taking the extra caution to make sure he's well on the way to healing before he lets him come home. I can imagine how hard this is for you, not having the sweet kid at his home where some extra loving is bound to help, too! He will be thrilled to have his 'mom' spend time with him!

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

Oh that is indeed good news - enjoy your visit with Ronin and let him know we were all thinking of him.

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

As hard as it is to not have Ronin home and getting your love and attention, I'm so glad the vet is erring on the side of caution and keeping him a bit longer. The more healing that takes place there, the better, because once home it will be difficult to not allow him his normal routine. So happy he's mending well.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Great news!

tina

• texanjana
    10 years ago

So grateful that Ronin is on the road to recovery!

• golddust
    10 years ago

Wonderful!!!

• Jamie
    10 years ago

Overall good health goes a long way in healing. She looks strong and healthy. Got to keep him that way.

Are they feeding Ronin what you would feed him?

If he hasn't been allowed to get up and go to the bathroom or exercise maybe you can take him when you visit?

• Irish2
    10 years ago

Ronin is certainly a stunning looking "guy"!
    Being a lover of animals I have been anxiously following
    his progress. Sending positive thoughts along...

• Bethpen
    10 years ago

Ronin is very handsome. I'm sending lots of prayers and good thoughts to you both.

Beth P.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Well, in many ways I am glad I was late to this thread, Lynne. I would have been beside myself with worry as was everyone else. I just hate it when our pets go through something like this, especially when it was the first doc's fault. Thank goodness you no have someone else caring for Ronin (yes, he is a beauty). I hope he is well and home soon. Sending hugs (to you) and scritches behind the ears (to Ronin).

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, the new vet surprised me and said I could bring him home with me yesterday afternoon, but only because I can be with him here all day long. We are so happy to have our boy home here again!

He's still on pain meds and antibiotics. His foot is getting better every day, but it still looks pretty awful. Three times a day I soak it in a strong Epsom salts and warm water solution, then wash it in a very mild soapy warm water; rinse and pat dry. I then apply a light coat of Silvadene, which is a thick, white topical antibiotic used on burns. Pretty much the entire top of his paw looks like it was burned, mainly raw now that the dead tissue has been sloughed off. The vet wants his wounds to dry up, so no dressings. He has one of those big plastic cone collars that he needs to wear 24/7 for the foreseeable future, so that he is not able to lick his foot. Poor boy walks into everything with it on, but he's learning. So is Mom, as I've had to move all of the lamps to the sofas and chairs to keep them from being knocked over.

But, we're focusing on the positive. Our sweet boy is home where he's getting lots of round-the-clock care and lots of love. Although this is going to be a long, long road to a fully healed foot, it has been saved. We have vet visits scheduled every 3 days or so for the next few weeks, as well.
    Thanks again for all of your kind thoughts and prayers. Both Ronin and I have really appreciated them!
    Lynn

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

What wonderful news!

Oh, the necessary evils of the cone. The poor babies look so sad and confused wearing one.

• trailrunner
    10 years ago

So glad to hear the news ! I can vouch for the healing qualities of Silvadene. I had a really serious bicycle wreck a number of years ago. Saved by my helmet but it took off the right side of my face...I looked like a peeled plum. I was in the hospital for 3 days...other injuries also and a severe concussion. They applied Silvadene to my face 3x a day after washing it as you are doing to your pup's foot. My face healed completely in a matter of days and I have only one whitish scar by my nose/upper lip. It is an amazing product. I have used it many times on home health patients for wound care also and always excellent results.

BTW...I didn't have to wear a cone :) c

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

Lynn, if your beautiful boy has to wear a cone for a long time, I wonder if one of the inflatable type would work better for you all?
    My vet, who raises Goldens uses them for one of her dogs who will NOT stand the Elizabethan collar. I don't know which brand she uses, but have linked a page of choices below.

Here is a link that might be useful: inflatable collar for dogs

• deniseandspike
    10 years ago

Check the pet store for a Comfy Cone. We had one for our lab and it was much more comfortable for him than the hard plastic one. It'll save the paint on your walls too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Comfy Cone

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Poor Ronin, having to wear the dreaded "cone of shame" (fans of the movie Up will get that!)! So,so glad your boy is on the road to recovery!!!

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

great news !!

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Whew I was holding my breath but now everythings on the right track and Ronin will be sauntering around in no time sans his neck piece. I'm so happy for you Lynn.

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

He is a beautiful boy! So wonderful he has an advocate like you! Glad he is doing so well now!!!

• allison0704
    10 years ago

So glad he's home! Do check on the soft collars. He will like it better.

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the links to the various cones available out there. And yes, Cat Mom, we were calling it "the cone of shame", too, although the vet clinic folks call them "Party hats" ~ LOL. I would love to get him a different more comfortable kind, but the problem is that it's his front right paw that's affected . . . and dobies have very long legs. The cone has to be large enough and sturdy enough to keep his mouth away from this paw so that he can't lick or chew at it. As it is now, the vet also has a folded bath towel wrapped around his neck below the collar and very securely taped so that the collar can't slip back on his neck allowing him access to the paw. It's a complicated thing, but right now his paw still has stitches from the amputation, pretty much no top skin, just raw exposed tissue where the dead top skin has been sloughed off, and oozing sores from the slowly healing infections that we're fighting with oral antibiotics, the Silvadene and the thrice daily 15 minute soaks in strong Epsom salt water. It would be a huge disaster is he got at it like this. I'll talk to him about another collar option, though, when we meet him back at the clinic at 9AM this Sunday morning for his next therapy treatment. Can you believe it? This great vet is coming in on his Sunday off just to take care of Ronin! Nice guy.
    Lynn

P.S. Trail, I'm glad your face healed so well after that terrible bike accident! I've seen injuries like that when I worked ER and know how damaging they can be. I've only seen one from a "regular" bike accident (my OB/GYN at the time), though, but saw quite a few from motorcycle accidents where they weren't wearing a helmet.

• Irish2
    10 years ago

I'm glad to hear Ronin got to come home for plenty of
    TLC while he is on his road to recovery! I've been worrying
    about that beautiful "boy"! (((hugs)))

• CLBlakey
    10 years ago

Like Cyn I am glad I was late to this thread and was able to read all the good news after the terrible ordeal. I would have been a blithering idot over the whole thing had it been my furkid.

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

Such a relief to see your baby is back home! Hope the road to recovery goes smoothly. Ronin is a handsome guy!

• ice1
    10 years ago

Lynn, how is Ronin doing ?

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

I hope Ronin is continuing to improve. If you get a chance please check in and let us know.

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi and thanks for asking about Ronin. We had a visit to the vet yesterday and we are finally seeing progress! All but one large lesion the size of a quarter of the bottom of his paw are now at least partially scabbed over. The doc told me that this last one will take the longest to heal, up to a month more, because of it's location on his pad.

He still needs to wear the cone collar at all times, unless someone is sitting where they can watch him constantly. Like any dog, he wants to lick his wounds, but this could damage the fragile new skin, some of which is bone deep.

I'm actually sitting out on our covered front portal at the moment, while I let him wander around without his cone. . . but only on the portal. He's gingerly walking on his paw about 60% of the time now. Progress!

My big problem at the moment is finding a good dog boot for him to wear, as the doc has given the ok for him to go on short walks. He wears a cut off athletic sock that I tape around his ankle every day, but it's not padded enough to walk down our gravel driveway or on the road pavement.

So far, though, every boot I've found has many consumer complaints about their dog's boot falling off; getting lost because it fell off on a walk; that it's made cheaply and falls apart quickly; that the design is poor and uncomfortable and/or that the sole of the boot constantly ends up on top of the paw and the soft other side consequently gets tattered and worn out quickly. I have found some sturdy looking waterproof boots, but worry that his foot will heat up in them causing the wound infections to flare up again.

The doc told me yesterday that it will probably take a year for Ronin's foot to get back to normal, albeit minus a toe. And that the fur will probably never grow back because of all the skin that died. Sad, but I'm just very glad he didn't lose the entire foot! Ronin isn't a show dog, he's just our much loved furkid, so it will be ok by us. I guess that it has to be ok for him, too.

Anyhoo, here's a pic I took the other day of him on our front portal with DH. He needs lots of hugs these days and we're always ready to oblige.
    Lynn

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for the update! Glad to hear he is healing.

Those boots just don't stay on. One of our pups cut his pad badly and we just never could find one that stayed on really well.

Every time I see a picture of one of our babies in the collar, they look so miserable. What a sweetie he looks to be.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

What a good sweet boy!!!

So glad he is on the mend!

• nancybee_2010
    10 years ago

Awww, he's so sweet, poor thing. I'm glad he's getting better.

• CLBlakey
    10 years ago

He looks so sad in his cone of shame. Glad to hear he is getting better.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Awwww, what a sweet picture! Glad he is doing better!

tina

• alisande
    10 years ago

Lynn, I just read your story and am so happy to learn your beautiful dog is finally recovering well.

One of my cats had a toe amputated recently. I picked him up the next day, drove home (12 miles) and then realized no one had given me an antibiotic for him. I called the vet, and a tech apologized for the slip-up. Drove back to the vet's.

Then there was the time I had an antibiotic prescription for myself. I took it to Walmart to be filled, drove home (16 miles) and (as is my habit) looked up the numbers printed on the capsules. Turned out the pharmacy had sent me home with antidepressants. The pharmacist didn't even apologize for this one.

And she said, "Just throw them out." I insisted she dispose of the pills properly--after I drove back to Walmart with them. But I wouldn't be surprised if she "just threw them out."

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Alisande: So why did yours need his toe amputated? How long did it take him to start walking full-time on it? Ronin's surgery was July 29, which was 39 days ago and he's still limping around on 3 legs half the time. He still has to wear his "cone of shame" 24/7 and I'm still changing the bandages every day. I am so tired of it all, but then I think of how tired he must be. My poor, sweet boy!
    Lynn

• golddust
    10 years ago

Poor Roan. I feel so bad. My English Bulldog has has three eye surgeries so we know all about those cones of shame. Bulldogs have that smash face and fat necks so she wears a size large. She was tripping all over it and couldn't eat until I refashioned it to fit better.

I certainly hope he heals quickly. Give him an extra hug from Auntie GoldDust.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Aw, poor Ronin. He's been through a lot. I hope he can walk on that foot again soon. They also make "cones of shame" that are softer and more comfortable but still do the job. Have you considered on of those?

Here is a link that might be useful: soft cone of shame

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dedtired: yes, I did look at those soft cone collars, but they ~ unfortunately~ won't work for Ronin's injury. Dobies have long legs and it's his right front paw that we have to keep him from chewing and licking on. The soft cone would allow him access and OMG does he do himself damage when he gets at that foot!

• ice1
    10 years ago

Thanks for the update. I know you love that boy. Why cant anyone find up a bandage they cant chew of. Wouldn't that be wonderful.

• CaroleOH
    10 years ago

I have a goldendoodle and in the winter, his paws would get ice cakes in the curly fur. So, I ordered him a pair of dog boots and in general, they stayed on. We lost one during a crazy romp through deep snow, but on regular walks they stayed on perfectly.

I would think for your dog because he's walking so gingerly they would stay on fine. I found a website that has all kinds of dog boots - the one I linked to is lighter weight so may not be so hot for him to wear right now.

You may find that it keeps him from chewing on his bandage too so if he adjusts to the boot, he may not need his cone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Summer weight dog boots