Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bethpen

Big Day Tomorrow

Bethpen
9 years ago

DS is having his big orthognathic (jaw) surgery tomorrow. We've got to be at Mass General at 5:30 AM. They're expecting the surgery to take 7-8 hours.

Any prayers, good thoughts and vibes would be greatly appreciated. I've been praying a lot for Dr. P to have the most successful surgery of his career. :)

I'll be up there for a few days. Hoping we can get out by Sunday.

Beth P.

Comments (36)

• tinam61
    9 years ago

Prayers going out. Hoping for a swift and easy recovery!!

• ellendi
    9 years ago

Healing thoughts your way!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Coming your way. Best of luck, courage, patience and healing thoughts

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Prayers for you and your DH, and for guiding hands of the surgeon. May your husband have a quick recovery, Beth.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Sending along all best thoughts for cool, calm, balance, strength and deepest true healing for all ..... hugs too!

• jan_in_wisconsin
    9 years ago

Prayers for you and your family. He will be in good hands. Keep us posted.

• Sheeisback_GW
    9 years ago

Said a prayer! Keep us posted!

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Lifting your DS and his surgeon, and all those involved with his care, in prayer.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    9 years ago

It will be a huge success! So many good thoughts, positive vibes and energy are surrounding him...I Just know it. Do NOT worry. Keep believing he will be fine.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I'm glad you have access to such superb care, and wish a successful outcome and speedy recovery for your DS!

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Wishing all involved success.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

Hoping for an update later today. Thinking about your boy!

• trailrunner
    9 years ago

Good Luck !! We had a friend have this same surgery and he did very well ...sending lots of strong good thoughts to you all. c

• hhireno
    9 years ago

Wishing your family a smooth experience from the surgery to the recovery.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

wow, wow -- 7-8 hours! Hope you have a decent experience with few problems.

• nancybee_2010
    9 years ago

Hope everything is going well. Sending my best wishes to you and your son.

• Bethpen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm guessing we are getting close to being done. The OR nurse has called me twice. The first time she bossed me and told me to get outside and take a walk. She said he was doing great. Later she reported in when they were done with the top jaw and working on the lower.

I am so grateful we were able to have this procedure done here. Everyone we have dealt with today has been wonderful. Save the check in woman who "hates computers" and couldn't find his name. We found another willing person to help. :)

Thanks for your good thoughts and prayers!!

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

Good to hear it's going well. My prayers are with you. My dd had to have jaw surgery when she was in high school. Lower jaw only though. Lots of soft foods for awhile - I hope you come up with more ideas than I did.

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

Best wishes to your DS!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I just realized I typed 'DH' instead of DS in my earlier post. So sorry about that. Glad to hear your son is doing great in surgery. Staff sounds wonderful, and I'm glad they are giving you updates (and good advice)!

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Thanks for checking in Beth. I've been peeking throughout the day hoping for an update. Every time, I said another prayer that all was going well.
    Glad to hear things are looking good.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Glad it was going well and hoping the second half went well also. Sending every good thought your and DS's way.

• amj0517
    9 years ago

Prayers coming your way!

• voila
    9 years ago

Sending you and your son best wishes for a speedy recovery. How nice for him to have a great team of medical professionals perfecting a beautiful smile! When all is said and done, tell him to smile often. Everyone is thinking about you.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Hoping all went well!

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Hope things are still going well.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Hope the worst is over and all that's ahead is a quick and easy recovery. Thinking of you and sending you hugs.

• neetsiepie
    9 years ago

Hoping DS is home and not in too much pain.

if you don't mind my asking-how did you manage to get this covered? My eldest DD has needed this surgery but neither her medical nor her dental will do it-one claiming it's dental, the other medical and the insurance co calling it cosmetic!

I'd sure appreciate any pointers you can shed light on. Thank you!

• Bethpen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good morning! Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers. I slept at a nearby hotel last night and got back here to the room a bit ago. DS looks better this morning. We have a white board to write on to make communication a little easier. Plus he has a roommate and he and his mom are still asleep.

DS said that last night was tough, he had a nosebleed that scared him, and his pain got a little away from him but he feels much better now. I felt terrible leaving last night, but I'd been up since 2:30 AM and wasn't going to be much use to anyone without some sleep.

They may send him home today. I'm nervous about the ride home, especially if there is traffic. Big Road Race on the Cape this weekend, and it IS August. Also, he is 6'3" and 200 lbs.. I want him to be moving well on his own before we take off. Of course hanging around a hospital for an extra day has its own risk of infection, etc. he smoothed into the bed, they are trying to find an extension, but so far no luck.

The nurse just told me that the surgeons said his surgery was remarkably smooth. I hope the recovery goes as well.

Pesky, I'm not sure what DS's official diagnoses were. I do know the classification of his jaw was a 4. Not sure what that means...and he had a cross bite as well. This has been a ridiculously expensive process, even with good insurance. The initial work up and digital modeling were $3,000 and insurance didn't cover it. The braces were $6,500. (previously he'd had braces as well, then the jaw just grew really fast). With the computer models they determined that he would need work on his chin to match the new jaw. That was considered cosmetic and was another $6,000. With the copays and stuff it has added up fast. I'm sure part of the high cost is having surgery at this particular hospital, but so far I wouldn't change a thing.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Thanks for the update...so glad to hear the surgery went so well. That's good news. Now it's all about recovery. I'm sure it will go well...kids heal so much quicker than us oldsters!

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Thanks for the update Beth. I'll keep praying that all else goes well with his healing and the trip home.

• homersmom
    9 years ago

Glad to hear all went well. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I agree with you about having to transport a still-recovering grown man (physically) on your own in Sunday summer traffic. I'd try to go tomorrow am. Id worry he will be uncomfy sitting up for a prolonged stretch.

So glad it all went well!

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Thinking of you and your family and hoping he will be a good post op patient for you!

• Bethpen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We are hanging in. We got home last night around 6.

Friday night I spent in a hotel very near the hospital. I'd been up since 2:30 Am and knew I needed to get some sleep in order to function for the early recovery.

At about 2AM in the room I felt some bug bites on my feet. I managed to make myself fall back asleep until 4:30 when I ripped the bed apart looking for bedbugs. I didn't find anything, but the welts on my feet were pretty good indicators that there was something in there. I'd worn shoes, long sleeves and a sweatshirt to the hospital.

I went back to the hospital at 5:30, got the kid settled, etc, then went back to check out and inform the hotel about the problem, trying the whole time convince myself I hadn't spread bugs through the hospital. My bag and clothes were on a wooden desk and the reading I did said they couldn't shimmy up

The manager promised an "investigation" and "adjustment' to my bill and that the hotel would contact me. So when we finally did head home, all I could think about was how I could get him settled without bringing any of our belongings in. I stripped in the garage, left everything outside and then proceeded to steam wash all of our stuff. I've been up to my eyes getting DS settled and figuring out how and what to feed him.

He's a great patient. We didn't sleep much last night, hoping for a better night tonight. Luckily the pain hasn't been bad. Mostly the congestion and swelling have been bothering him. That feeling of not being able to breathe out of your nose and having his mouth elastic-banded almost closed is claustrophobic I think.

• texanjana
    9 years ago

Oh my gosh! You and your son have been through the wringer. Praying and sending good thoughts that his recovery is smooth and that you are able to get some rest and take care of yourself. These things are hard on mommas!