Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
4boys2

Swim Exercise

4boys2
10 years ago

I know there was a post from Trailrunner at one time but I just can't locate it.
I've been off work for 3 months and have gained 3 lbs.
I can now get "wet" .

I will be doing this alone for now.
I thought I would put my portable DVD player next to the pool for instruction as a learning tool to begin.(Sounds strange right?)
I'm just not self motivated :(

I bought all the supplies but like most of my endeavors this too may remain in the closet.
Any tips on pool exercise is what I'm searching for....
I got this and a kick-board......
Thanks~

Comments (6)

• User
    10 years ago

Fantastic ! I am so glad you are going to get started. The other thread was "treading water", linked below.

There really are only a few things to keep in mind. Don't over do being the first and foremost. No better way to hurt yourself or learn to hate an exercise than to do too much. Just put on the belt and get in the water and in a relaxed way , to start, move your arms in a gentle circle toward each other at shoulder height ...like you are scooping the water. Gently. At the same time pretend you are walking. That is enough. Do 10 minutes...not more. If you want to go every day and do 10 minutes that is great but I would not do more than that the first week at each session. Add 5 minutes each week. If you really do feel fine at the end of the first week you can add 10.

You can do your arms and legs in a swinging motion as if you are cross-country skiing. You can march your legs while moving your arms. Anything goes...just don't over do it. After 2 weeks you can add a little buzz to it by doing a faster pace for 1 minute. You will really feel it and get a great workout. Do not be surprised if your skin itches ALL over !! It is the increased circulation. This is a really great calorie burner and no strain on your parts :)

As for the kick board I haven't ever used one so that is something to look up. Again go slowly. 10 min. each day. Good Luck and please post back . Don't get discouraged !! You will do great. c

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: old thread

This post was edited by trailrunner on Wed, Aug 14, 13 at 18:56

• lizzie_grow
    10 years ago

I've done water exercise...need to get back into it! Anyway, if you do deep water aerobics & use hand held arm weights, be careful not to overdo. You can cause shoulder problems by getting too aggressive with them, such as pushing down in the water. Like Trail said, it is an awesome way to exercise...have fun with it too. I prefer a foam tube rather than the kick board, myself...keeps me buoyant by using under the abdomen when facing the water or under the back with arms linked around it when facing up. That's a good way to exercise the legs with things like scissor kicks, bicycle motion, making circles small & large with your legs.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

I just did some deep water aqua jogging the other day, but I also do a class of water jogging where we do some things in the shallow end and then either go out to the deep end with the aqua-joggers, noodles, or kickboards. It does take awhile to work up to it.

Good luck!

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

I've been referred to a PT swimming pool that is very close to my house. It's a warm water pool, and there is no having to deal with swim teams, lap swimmers, kids, etc. The monthly fee is comparable to what I'd pay the gym-so once I'm done with the wedding, I plan to start doing water exercise. Besides, the PT told me that due to all my injuries, that is the best for me.

I can't wait!

• User
    10 years ago

We have a swim spa that is long-- about 15 feet--- with current for resistance swimming. It's been great for exercise AND relaxation. I think water exercise is the best.

• 4boys2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Everyone~
    Sorry it's taken me so long to get back .

The items I ordered are on the truck for delivery today !
    I moved into a community about 5 yrs ago that has a pool about 2 min. away from my front door that I have never used .
    It's pretty much empty all the time.(Not going to be embarrassed by any bathing beauties)

I don't have a class time to adhere to
    or a swim buddy that is waiting on me .
    This will be all on me.

Trailrunner ~.Thanks for your post.
    The Livestrong link has so much great info.
    Lizzie_grow, Kswl and Gsciencechick thanks for your tips and reinforcing the "don't over do it "aspect .

Pesky~ I don't know your med.insurance situation but a woman I know had her insurance pay for her pool membership because it was medically necessary.

Off to shave my legs and wait for my pkg !!