Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Decorating related to back-to-school?

Sueb20
10 years ago

I write an occasional column (about decorating) for our local small-town newspaper. The editor has asked me to write a column related to "back to school." Any ideas? A decorating column about going back to school. I'm stuck. All I can think of is organizing kids' papers, backpacks, etc., which I suppose I could do but I feel like that's been done to death in every publication on earth. Maybe setting up a kids' "study area" and what elements are important (lighting, etc.). Any other ideas?

Comments (9)

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

Well, if its about decorating, you could write about creative ways to display school work, awards, etc.

Also about ways to incorporate the organization side into decorating- like pretty ways to store backpacks, sports equipment, etc for quick out the door excursions.

If you`re not already surfing Pinterest, you should check it out for some school age kids ideas.

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

Duplicate post

This post was edited by pesky1 on Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 19:59

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Ways to decorate the school calendar and after school activity calendar? That in itself is a decoration in the kitchen.

• wearybuilder
    10 years ago

I'm in the process of creating a wreath for the front door with fall colors and school stuff on it...I think it should be cute, but I'm not very talented! LOL

• bestyears
    10 years ago

You could write about "zones" in the home and how to decorate and organize for them.... The Homework Zone (could be a kitchen table or other); the Loading Zone (where kids grab their stuff and go); the Dropping Zone (where kids bring all that crap home(!), etc....

• camlan
    10 years ago

How to decorate a dorm room.

How to showcase the bazillion pieces of artwork that come home, and how to keep them rotating, and how to choose which ones to save and which ones to toss. (To use the trendy terminology, curating your child's art work.)

How to create a homework space in a small bedroom.

Attractive computer desks, and where to put them--in the family room so parents can keep an eye on things, in the kid's bedroom so they can have peace and quiet doing their homework?

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You guys are brilliant. I only have 500 words, so I think I'm going to do something about creating a study area...whether in a kid's room or in a family space... But all of these ideas are great! Thank you so much. I especially like the Zones idea! Maybe that can be Part Two.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I had 2 thoughts (amazing! in one day!)

One was around sports equipment so maybe garage or mudroom storage ideas as it's not just books the kids bring home or need.

The other was, how about decorating for Mom now that the kids are back to school...a corner for a.m. coffee and newspaper? Jazz up the bath for a soak or a spa retreat?

• Mimou-GW
    10 years ago

For kids who are organizationally challenged I suggest a homework basket (ours was more like a serving tray ) it contained paper, pencils, crayons, colored pencils and weekly homework assignments. Student brought the basket to the kitchen table and had everything at hand.