Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

Windows 8 Version: Anybody Else Having Trouble Learning It????

lynninnewmexico
10 years ago

(Sigh) The laptop I'm using now, a crummy, old, Acer that's on it's very last legs, has Windows 7 on it. Very much like the last version and one I can easily use and understand. But, like I said, it is barely useable these days (keys missing; very sticky keys; loses power quickly; overheats and shuts down often and with no warning; etc.).

So, for Mother's Day DH gifted me with a wonderful new Toshiba Satellite laptop . . . and I have been struggling to use it's Windows 8 version ever since! I feel so stupid because the apps and screens look so wonderful and the premise for this version sounds great. For me, though, it's been tough to learn and DH is now upset because I keep using this Acer instead. I wonder if there is written or an online version of "Windows 8 For Dummies"? Is this Windows 8 version user-unfriendly or is it just me?
Lynn

Comments (15)

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

Lots of people in my office have new computers with Windows 8 and most are having trouble with it. There are programs that you can download that will make Windows look and act like Windows 7, with the old start menu, etc. I would check out Cnet.com for some good downloads.

• jennifer_in_kansas
    10 years ago

I also find Windows 8 very frustrating. My mother recently purchased a new computer that has Windows 8 and is constantly calling me with questions. Unfortunately I can't answer any of them because I'm still using 7. Even when I search the internet for answers I find it difficult to determine how to resolve anything because everyone seems to be having problems.

I've mentioned she should have it uninstalled and Windows 7 installed but she's against it. She feels like if she can't figure it out she'll turn into an outdated old woman.

She's planning on attending a Windows Personal Training session at the retail store in our area. Hopefully it will help.

WHY would they remove the print icon and take away File>Print? Ugh.

Wishing you luck
    Jennifer

Terriks - thanks for the tip. I'm off to Cnet to check it out.

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

There is a lot of help on You tube if you do well following that kind of instruction. You can make some adjustments to the way 8 operates to make it more like 7 but there are major changes in the pipeline because Microsoft knows they screwed up. There is supposed to be a major patch before the end of the year and an overhaul to the whole OS next year. I bought a computer with 8 for DH's birthday assuming that since I have a Windows phone and love it ,I'd be able to help him - not a chance. I was just as frustrated as he was and after a week, returned it and bought him a new computer that still has 7.

Do you have a touch screen or are you working off a keyboard and touch pad? That makes a big difference, too - the touch screen is how 8 is meant to operate and without it, all the 'intuitive' features go out the window - no pun intended.

You are far from alone, Lynn.

This post was edited by dlm2000 on Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 21:33

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

I bought a new Dell desktop last December and after reading a lot online and consulting a 'geek' friend who buys PCs as often as I buy socks, and having him tell me to avoid Windows 8...I paid a teeny bit extra for Windows 7 to be installed on mine.

A friend just got a new laptop last week with Windows 8, and after reading this post, I just emailed to ask how she is doing with it. My geek friend, my other friend and I were in IT for several years, and the geek friend still is. To have him tell me to avoid it was very telling.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

The former IT buddy just emailed back - "It's annoying more than anything. But I have good friends from NY stopping by next week and he will help me."

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

Microsoft knows they screwed up

Kind of like when "New" Coke came out. ;)

• cooperbailey
    10 years ago

We bought a new Dell laptop with Windows 8 on it a couple of months ago. We both love it. The difference may be that we have a touch screen on the laptop. All the geeky reviews my DH read before buying highly recommended a touch screen for Windows 8.

• annac54
    10 years ago

It's unfortunate that they decided that they decided to make it favor a touch screen environment. I do a lot of work on my desktop. I can just get more work done on it than the laptop. My last computer had a touch screen, and I almost never used the feature. It was just really inconvenient to switch between that and using the keyboard. I was helping someone last weekend try to do something on her new computer with Windows 8 and we were both frustrated trying to figure out where things were.

We finally had to switch to the new Office at work. They had to bring consultants in for 2 days of training on the differences so that we could get back to actually doing work. I just don't understand the logic of taking a program that people know well enough to use in their sleep and changing it so dramatically that it almost brings their productive output to a halt. I just see that Microsoft made more money, and our company lost money. There's no great improvement to the software that translates into time savings or improved output on our side.

I have other devices with touch screens and love them, but for cranking out data and text, it's not the way to go.

Sorry, rant over.

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

Anna I totally agree with you. Tweaks and updates that include new material make sense to me. But they tried to reinvent the wheel and blew it.

Yup. Just like New Coke.

• tuesday_2008
    10 years ago

I bought my two adult children new Dell laptops with WIndows 8 for Christmas. It took a couple of days for them to learn how to use them - after that, they say they are great. There is "something" they do to make them look/work more like 7.

I briefly looked at them after they had them "set-up" and they looked like something I had never seen before :). I don't like change, but they assure me that if if/when I have to go to 8 that I won't have any problems. We'll see!

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't have a touch screen on this laptop. I'm glad to hear that it's not just me having a big problem with Windows 8. On a fluke, I googled "Windows 8 for Dummies" and was totally floored to find that there actually is a book and companion DVD out by that name! So, I ordered it from Amazon Prime and it should arrive early this week. I'll let you know if it was worth it. If not, I'll pay whatever to get my new laptop converted to Windows 7!!!
    Lynn

• fourkids4us
    10 years ago

My 14 y/o got a dell laptop for Christmas with Windows 8. She loves it and had no trouble using it - she does not have a touch screen. I suspect that it is easy for her because she was not a heavy PC user so hadnt spent years and years using windows 7. She very easily taught herself how to use Windows 8. On the few occasions I've tried to use her laptop, I've been totally frustrated! Even just trying to get on the Internet!

Two years ago, after being a lifetime PC user, I replaced my Dell with a Mac. I decided, since I'd just gotten my first iPhone, and I also had an iPad, that I might as well make the leap to a Mac. Ive been very happy I made the switch. I almost wish I'd gotten my daughter a Mac, but I just couldn't justify the cost for her. She's very happy with her Dell, but I think it's much easier for a young person to learn Windows 8 than someone who has used previous versions of Windows for a long time.

Good luck! I hope that The dummies book and DVD are very helpful!

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

Here's an article from cnet.com about how to get the start button back in Windows 8.

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

News from CNet today on Windows 8.1.

Here is a link that might be useful: Windows 8.1

• User
    10 years ago

I think windows 8 was a big fail for Microsoft, along with the surface RT, the phone, etc. They are trying to position themselves somewhere between a tablet and a pc, a software and a hardware company, with the end result that they do neither very easily. They are steadily losing market share in almost all lines of business....they think "status quo with a twist" is enough to jazz up their tired products. I would switch over to apple but their consistent refusal to use a front delete function is the deal breaker for me--- I've bought two macs and tried to love them, but ended up giving both away to my kids within months.

I'm waiting for a new wunderkind to come up with something TOTALLY different and wonderful, that is a REAL computer and not a toy. The ipad is a wonderful toy, but it is still a toy.