Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dlm2000

Sevierville, TN - Suggestions?

DLM2000-GW
10 years ago

A good friend is driving to Sevierville next Monday with her DH, teen son, adult stepson, BIG dog.... and her DH's ex. (wouldn't you LOVE to be a fly in THAT van for a while??)

Anyway..... stepson made the hotel/cabin arrangements and says he has the activities handled but she's not so sure - he tends to fly by the seat of his pants. So she's wondering what else to look forward to. They'll do some hiking, of course. She doesn't want to get into the touristy/kitchy shopping stuff, they've ziplined multiple times in other places so no interest in that. She's particularly interested in good restaurants, historical sites..... is there a botanic garden or historical home /museum? She's not hooked into any computer travel sites so I thought I'd ask here for the great first hand experiences.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Deb

Comments (7)

• tuesday_2008
    10 years ago

Regardless of how touristy it is, everyone should drive ACROSS the Great Smoky Moutains over into Cherokee.

We are about 4 hours away and many of our friends and acquaintances go quite frequently and NEVER cross the mountains. I just think it is a must for the view and scenery.

Tina should be along soon - I think she lives close.

• sis3
    10 years ago

Another vote for Cherokee. Just the drive over the GS Mountains is an activity in itself especially if they drive up to Clingman's Dome and climb up to the scenic lookout. Link below. Also Cade's Cove is well worth a visit with its lovely scenery and pioneer cabins.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clingman's Dome

• moonshadow
    10 years ago

I was going to mention Cade's Cove too if she likes historical sites. I found it fascinating going through the cabins and even reading the old headstones in the cemetery.

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

They should check on the dog. I had to meet a friend to collect his dog when he was hiking the Appalachian trail because dogs were NOT allowed in great smoky mtn park... Maybe things have changed, but I suggest they check that.

• DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great suggestions Tuesday and Sis - thank you. I'll have to make sure to get to Cherokee myself next time i'm in Asheville! Moonshadow - Cades Cove looks like a great choice. Iheart - good point to check on dog regulations. They're renting a house, I just found out, and hadn't planned to bring the dog with them on all outings so that may not be an issue.

Does anyone know of any can't miss restaurants or bakeries?

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Yes, I'm right outside Sevierville (waving @ Tuesday!).

Sevierville is really nothing much - but it is very close to lots. Now I am not crazy over Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg and all the touristy stuff. But there are some good restaurants there and if I had not been to the area, I'd definitely go through Gatlinburg. It's a little more upscale and not as "cheesy" as Pigeon Forge. Pigeon Forge has DOLLYWOOD (LOL Dolly Parton's amusement park and neighboring water park), zip line, nascar theme park, etc., etc., etc. and tons of outlet shopping. I avoid the area other than going to some of the restaurants, and then we know the back roads.

Cades Cove and the Smokey Mountains are absolutely gorgeous. We sometimes camp at Cades Cove but there are hikes, picnic areas, tubing, etc. A drive over the mountains is a must. Many hiking trails in that area.

I thought dogs were allowed in the area - we've taken ours many times and I have never seen signs that dogs are not welcome. Interesting.

Blackberry Farms in nearby Walland is a wonderful, first class restaurant. Pricey. Gorgeous location. We also like Cherokee Grill in Gatlingburg. The Peddler, Greenbrier - both located in Gatlinburg. Also, there are many bed and breakfasts in the areas with some fantastic dining. The Pancake Pantry in Gatlinburg is a much visited site. I, personally, don't think the food is anything outstanding, but it's very popular.

No gardens, but the mountains, cades cove, etc. should make up for that. There are some very unusual plants, etc. in the area.

tina

• DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm so glad you popped in here, tina - that's exactly the kind of info I was hoping to get for her. In fact we were just having coffee and I checked in here then read her your suggestions and will c/p the specifics for her now. Thanks so much to everyone!