Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
legomom23

Tips for someone afraid to fly?

legomom23
10 years ago

OK, I used to fly a decent amount, but life circumstances and my distance from an airport has made it possible for me not to fly in 12 years! But now my reprieve is up and I am off.
And I am nervous!
In the time since I last flew I have had anxiety issues, developed a fear of heights, had several panic attacks, and I think became slightly claustrophobic:)
Rationally I know flying is very safe, but I am scared I am going to have a panic attack on the flight, or who knows what.
We are leaving 3 weeks from today.
Any tips or suggestions for me?

Comments (16)

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

I know how you feel. I try to distract myself while taking off - reading, talking to my husband if I am traveling with him, etc. I also always think about the pilot and crew, and that they want to get home safely to their families, so they will take the greatest care.

A few years ago I made my first trip to Europe - flying alone. I was starting to panic, but fortunately the woman sitting next to me struck up a conversation, and I was able to get out of my head.

I'm flying to South Korea next week (alone again), and hopefully I won't be nervous!

• legomom23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thankfully I will be with my husband and son. It will be my son's first flight so hopefully his excitement will rub off on me!

• Jamie
    10 years ago

Perhaps one seat will make you feel less anxious than another? I like an aisle. I always check out the pilot and crew -- I like to feel as if I have done due diligence.

Maybe I shouldn't even mention this, because you may not have thought of it, but I feel better when the plane I'm on has just arrived from another flight. A plane right out of maintenance gives me an additional worry.

I have never had a Xanax, but if somebody offered me one I would take it without hesitation.

It IS better when hubby is with me. I'll be alone on my upcoming one-way trip; he is taking the car home. If you believe statistics, he has a worse chance than I do. That doesn't give me any comfort, though.

• goldgirl
    10 years ago

I was in exactly your position back in June, when I flew from one coast to the other for a conference, with connecting flights both ways.

The biggest stress-reducer for me was Bose noise canceling headphones. They reduce the whiny engine noises and you just plug them into your music device, in my case, and iPhone.

• golddust
    10 years ago

Ask your Dr for something.

• joshuasamah
    10 years ago

Xanax I fly all the time for work, in addition to personal travel. After trying Xanax I vowed I will never fly again without it. I take it about 45 minutes to an hour prior to boarding. I also distract myself on take off by bringing something I enjoy to eat that I pick up in the airport. Silly, I know, but it works for me.

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

I also recommend Xanax. It has helped me get over my flying panic, now to the point where I no longer have to take it when
    I fly.

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

Duplicate

This post was edited by pesky1 on Sat, Aug 10, 13 at 8:50

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

I also recommend Xanax. It has helped me get over my flying panic, now to the point where I no longer have to take it when
    I fly.

• golddust
    10 years ago

There is a bug here. Too many post duplicates from people who know the ropes around here...

• jmc01
    10 years ago

My husband used to be the absolute worst white knuckle flyer. He had a horrible time when he had to fly and he made it miserable for those who flew with him.

He found a free online "overcoming fear of flying" class. The one he completed was the American Airlines version but there are others. The course made an amazing difference with him, to the point that he now regularly flies to Europe for business and he sleeps through the flights.

Check out a class and skip the drugs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flying class

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Talk to your doctor ASAP re: prescription, behavior therapy.

I don't know if/what type of therapy she did, but my SIL had a panic attack at the airport and could not get on the plane for my nephew's wedding maybe 10 years ago. She sat home alone while the whole extended family went. This probably could have been avoided. Heck, they could have taken the train even.

Just don't do alcohol because they won't let you fly if you are visibly intoxicated.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

The more you try to fight and repress and ignore your fears and anxiety, the more power they will have over you. Take some time to meditate and just feel and explore and notice and be aware of the fears and feelings of anxiety, and they will lose their power. They will become familiar and impotent.

• legomom23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So many things to think about. I feel ok with it right now, but I am afraid of what will happen that day. I will take the earphones, and I am looking into the SOAR classes. I had come across that online, but somehow missed that it was a video.
    I've never taken xanax or anything like that before, but it might just be an option this time. I want to be a good flier for my son, so he doesn't get nervous.I used to love to fly. I hope he does too!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Don't borrow trouble. The anticipation and expectation of fear will make it worse and give it more power over you. Instead focus on the present and believe you will be fine, and you will be.

I would suggest taking a practice xanax if you try that route. The last thing you want to do is find out you have a bad or allergic reaction to it on the day of the flight.

• denali2007
    10 years ago

This site was a big help to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: fear of flying