Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamie1s

B&B room darkening

Jamie
9 years ago

I often find that streetlights, security lights, business signs, etc. shine into these rooms at night. (Not talking about at the bottom of the door, which I can fairly easily block)

Have you come up with a simple solution? Do you pack black plastic and duct tape?

Comments (11)

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

Light from those kinds of things bothers me, too. The hotels we've stayed at all have had good blackout curtains, so it hasn't been a problem. We haven't stayed at a B&B in several years, but if I was concerned about it I would call the B&B owner or manager and ask if it might be a problem and what their solutions are.
    Lynn

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I use a sleep mask similar to the ones you get on airplanes. I get the silk ones.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

If they have blackout drapes but light is still coming in because the drapes don't close all the way, we have used binder clips or bag clips to hold drapes together tightly.

• Jamie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I chose what appeared to be the darkest pet-friendly room I could find that was otherwise acceptable. And then, before I posted here, I phoned. The person I spoke to acted like I was raising a never-before-heard issue. You can never tell whether there will be street light that shines in. Google maps helps only so much.,

I've never seen a B&B with blackout drapes. Some are *really* bad, having only sheers. Must be a lot of people who don't care about this. The one I'm looking at has wood blinds.

I just tried on some of DH's eye masks. I thought it would be too bothersome, but I think it's the best option. I'm going to get myself one.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Eye masks definitely. I use one at home sometimes in the summer when I want to let the air into my room, but not all the sunshine so early in the a.m. They work well and are not at all uncomfortable.

• roarah
    9 years ago

I have travel blackout blinds similar to the ones in the link below and they have worked well for my family.

Here is a link that might be useful: travel blackout blinds

• Oakley
    9 years ago

Silk sleep mask like Cyn suggested. Make sure they're silk though. Much easier than having to darken the room, and I can hardly tell I'm wearing them. I sleep like a baby. :)

• texanjana
    9 years ago

My black eye mask has changed my life. I ordered it online from Dream Essentials.

• bestyears
    9 years ago

Perfect timing. Just moved DD into her dorm, to discover that there is a bright security light right outside her window which stays on all night. We were brainstorming window ideas. A sleep mask would be so much easier. I was all set to push the button on my Amazon Prime account to buy one for her and one for roomie, when a thought occured to me -does the band mess with your hair? Remember these are 18 year old girls...

• tinam61
    9 years ago

Also (since you are buying this for someone else), do you think the girls would use the sleep mask? I ask because there is no way I would wear one. Fortunately I don't have a problem with room darkness/lights, but I would have a problem with a sleep mask.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Best, the silk one I have has a delicate, narrow, stretchy band. I pull it on so it is down around my neck, pull it up over my eyes and ears in front, but it is down below (or right at actually) my hairline in back. No worries. The silk is so light and thin, I don't even know I am wearing it, but it blocks all the light.

This post was edited by cyn427 on Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 15:37

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH