Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
faron79

Stuffy schools closed here!!!

Faron79
10 years ago

This may surprise some out there, but our schools are CLOSED due to this oppressive heat and humidity we've had lately! At least there's some smart school administrators here too!!

Like many cities, ~ half of our elementary-schools don't have A/C. Bigger/older buildings get so damn hot & stuffy, that learning anything is a moot point...
Like most of the central-midwest, we've had HOT and unusually humid weather for a week+ now. As I type now, the dew-point here in Fargo is now 72deg., with temp. @ 88. A few nights recently, our LOWS have been 75+!!
(last nite, it was still 77 @ midnight...)

Obviously, when overnight cooling is so minimal, the older schools just don't cool down. Fans don't do SQUAT in that kinda environment. In a news article today, some Fargo buildings' maintenance-staff measured room temps @ 6am of 80+ degrees!!
(we've had mid-upper 90's most of the time too. Today's a little better, but humidity is the worst it's been...)

How have your Cities' schools been faring?!

I've posted this b4, but here's that NWS Interactive Graphical weather link for temps, dewpoints, winds, etc....

Faron

Here is a link that might be useful: NWS Graphical-Weather info...

Comments (11)

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

Our schools start next week, after Labor Day. Our weather has been weird, cooler and wetter than usual for August up here in the NW part of the state. Down south they`ve been dealing with the forest fires.

We joke that during the State Fair run (its in our City) its either raining or 100+ degrees. This year its cool & rainy.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

I'm in TX Faron, need I say more about the HEAT? lol I haven't heard anything re:schools w/o AC~I taking it for granted it's a given. School has started in Austin, and the 100 temps ain't stopping it.

• jlj48
    10 years ago

Southeast Iowa here and schools have been let out 2 hours early all week with tomorrow a closing planned, unless you have air conditioning. My kids have air-co so they're in school.

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

My oldest daughter's school does not have a/c, and they still go! It has been terribly humid here, too. Several schools have closed in the afternoons, but not hers! She has not complained, though, and she is one to prefer cold weather over warm.

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

None of my schools had AC when I was a kid and school was never closed because of the heat. Schools are closed a lot now days - too hot, too cold, etc. How did everyone survive these conditions in the past? I think we are becoming wimpy.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

lol Gibby. I think you're right! Wouldn't want to be uncomfortable! lol We didn't have air conditioning and it took a huge snow storm to close our schools. I guess it would feel much hotter to some if it's unusual weather for them though.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

All of the schools in our district have AC so they went the full days this past week. But the schools in the surrounding areas that do not have AC all let school out early. Most between 1:00-2-00 pm. The heat and humidity here in Illinois has been awful too. The kids can't learn in this heat so what is the point?

Our kids were kept in from recess one of the worst days this week.

We should see some relief about Monday.

• Faron79
    Original Author
    10 years ago

EXACTLY Red-lover!

Now, @ 11am here Sunday in Fargo, it's 60 deg!!!

Faron

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

Kids could learn to persevere under "difficult" circumstances if nothing else. From what I observe in trying to hire young people today there is a need for some to develop in that regard.

• Faron79
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Then again....

We routinely have school when winter conditions are pretty terrible here.
    Every single year, national news reports show "snowy" conditions that close schools around the country. HERE, we just laugh, & think about putting on our jackets...& head off to school.
    (and NO...I'm not overstating this!)

Faron

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Yep Faron, same in Chicago where my dd is an educator. Now, those folks know how to handle snow!

I do agree that at times, kids overall should be a little tougher. Hard to toughen up when they spend so much time sitting around playing video games in the AC instead of out shooting hoops and climbing trees.