Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

Baby Taggie blanket

Annie Deighnaugh
9 years ago

Some of you may remember I made a veil for a gal a year ago. Well she's expecting a girl in October, so I made a baby taggie blanket for her. Inside, I put a floral bouquet cut from the lace I used on her veil. I hope she and the little one like it!

Those dark tags are not red like they appear on screen but a bright pink. So hard to get the colors right on camera...

Comments (16)

• deegw
    9 years ago

AD - That is so cute. My daughter LOVED tags when she was a baby. i wish I had thought of the tag blanket idea.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, deee...I hope the baby uses it...a lot easier to drag around than the full size blanket I did when I was a wee one!

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

Very cute. And sentimental.

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

That's cute. I wish those were around when my kids were little. Would have saved a lot of blankie problems.

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

really adorable !! you are so talented !!

• User
    9 years ago

Nice job and love the idea that it's a taggie blanket!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you red lover, marti8a, mitchdesj and sheesharee. I had a fun time selecting the fabrics and tags, and then figuring out how to put the front together...I'm not a quilter at all so have little experience with piecing and mitering.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

So cute...I had never seen or heard of these.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks joanie...they are "interactive tagged blanket" ...like a security blanket, they have satin and other textural tags on them to keep baby interested. They like to hold, smell and touch satin tags especially. Like a security blanket, but they are smaller so less likely to be damaged as they are dragged around by the little one. Sort of like Linus from the Peanuts comic strip. I never heard of them before either, but I was looking for a baby gift to make and came across them.

• User
    9 years ago

Ingenious idea, and you are a full-service friend!

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

That's interesting it was discovered babies like the satin tags. My DD(now 28) had her "Bobbie". ....it was a thermal blanket with that satin like border...never occurred to me back then she might have liked it for the border only. She slept with it for years and I still have it somewhere...it's pretty tattered!

What are the dimensions of yours Annie?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, kswl....I can wash a windshield, check the oil and tire pressure too!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

joanie mine is about 15" square...

When I was a wee one, I dragged my blanket around so much that Mom kept cutting it smaller to rid it of the most tattered parts. Eventually all I had left was a hunk of the satin ribbon which was the part I wanted anyway.

They sell them on amazon too. And now they make tagged animals like lions and monkeys.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I love these taggie blankets, Annie. You are so talented and thoughtful to include the piece of lace. Very cute!

• lizzie_grow
    9 years ago

That is so cute, Annieâ¦.did you have a pattern for this? I have a 4-mo. old granddaughter & may have to try this!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your kind words, op.

Lizzie, I didn't have a pattern. I explored some quilt blocks to come up with one that I thought would work with the fabrics I got. I appliqued on the bunny in the center block, so I knew I needed one with a center block. I found one, sketched it out on graph paper and then cut the pieces I needed adding seam allowance. I've been watching Donna Dewberry and she's the one who does the decorative stitching over the seams using ombre thread so I decided to try that especially since I wasn't quilting it at all.

There are a number of tag blanket DIY posts on the internet. They're all pretty similar, at least in technique. They go very quickly. But most use plain fronts, and I didn't want to do that, so that's why I did the quilt block which took a little more time. I'll link to one below.

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY tag blanket