Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheila53

gift for a recuperation

thankurnmo
9 years ago

A very dear friend is going to have some foot surgery in a few weeks. She is going to be on disability for about a month.
I thought about sending flowers but I am pretty sure she is very allergic.
she does have a wonderful husband so she will be taken care of (and she lives a few hours away).... so any ideas?
thankyou

Comments (6)

• polly929
    9 years ago

Gift cards for take out food. When you are laid up after surgery you cannot cook. I had a knee replacement and my very thoughtful co workers brought me meals every day, either home cooked or take out. Since she does not live close, that's not possible for you, but take out would be great. In my area we have a deliverynow.com and several local restaurants participate.

• hhireno
    9 years ago

I like Polly's food idea but it that doesn't work how about a book or music cd? A DVD of a favorite movie? Nice skin lotion?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

When my GF who was hours away was recuperating from surgery, I made her a pumpkin bread...they travel very well and are delish. She so appreciated having the bread and that I made it for her.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Magazines! Pick up the newest ones in the racks-gardening, decorating, food, fashion, whatever. A fun assortment would probably be welcome.

• kimberlyrkb
    9 years ago

How nice of you!! I have been recovering from foot problems for five months now. Much of that time has been sitting on my butt with my foot in the air. Here is what helped me.

1. Food. Gift cards to places that have take out or delivery. Snacks. Meals to put in the freezer or easily reheated. Bowl of cut up fruit. Specialty yogurt or fun bread. Anything that doesn't require much preparation is great.

2. If she has an ipad, an iTunes card so she can buy books or music.

3. If she is going to be on crutches, a cute backpack or bag she can easily carry. I have been carrying my tablet, reading material, craft projects, vitamins, etc., on my back for what seems like forever!

4. Magazines. In the first couple of weeks after my surgery, I couldn't keep my mind on anything, even mindless TV. Magazines are nice because they can be flipped thru if one's mind is foggy (the first few days after surgery) and again when the brain come back. One of my step-son's teachers sent home a stack of her previously read magazines, which I thought was great!

5. Assistance. Offer to water plants, dust, vacuum or whatever else she might need. While I also have a wonderful husband who did everything around the house and waited on me hand and foot, it was a lot for him after also working 10 hours a day and taking care of a kid. A friend came over and watered all my outdoor containers a couple of times and it helped immensely. (Especially since my husband has a black thumb!)

6. Call or visit a few times. When you are laid up, your world becomes so small and it's all about you. Not to mention the boredom! It's nice to have someone to chat with, and even better to think about something besides your pain and boredom.

I had no idea how bad it can be to be off your feet until it happened to me. I feel terrible that I didn't do more for friends and family who have had a broken leg or ankle, but now that I know, you better believe I will do as much as I can to be there for them!

Bless you for being such a good friend!

(By the way, I know you said you are a few hours away, so stopping by may not be an option for you, but I still included that as an option for anyone else with the same question who might read this.)

This post was edited by kimberlyrkb on Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 20:53

• camlan
    9 years ago

A reacher/grabber thing so that when she drops something, she can pick it up without having to call for help.

These are great after she recovers, for fishing things out from behind the sofa, or getting things off high up shelves.

If her husband will be out at work all day, an insulated carafe might be nice, so that he can make a pot of coffee or iced tea, and leave it right next to her in the carafe, so she doesn't have to get up and down to get something to drink. Ditto a small insulated lunch box--snacks can be prepared and left right next to her.

Here is a link that might be useful: reacher grabber thingy

Sponsored
Longhouse Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Prominent Architecture Firm Creating Cohesive Designs