Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are we still working out? Hope so!

Posted by awm03 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 13:41

Just gathering all the exercisers for a group pep rally :)
What's everybody up to these days?

My kbell instructor has been gone for the summer, but she graciously let us use her cottage and equipment to work out on our own (our kbells group). We've been working through Lauren Brooks' Kettlebells For Women and are impressed with it. Her exercise sets are wonderful: excellent cardio/strength work. And I've done some fun biking recently -- poking around coastal Maine on the bikes with DH was heavenly.

At a dinner gathering recently with my fellow age 60-ish friends, the conversation frequently turned to physical therapy for aging parents or for my friends' own issues related to aging & loss of physical ability. I wondered what will their last 25 years be like if they're this weak & impaired already? So glad I'm fighting to keep strength, agility, & flexibility. The work pays off in spades.

Please fill us in on your August exercise! Best wishes and pats on the back to you all.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are we still working out? Hope so!

Hot and humid today so I did Spin class over lunch.

I am doing the weights twice per week.

Trying to do water aerobics a few times per week.

o

Hey everyone, great to hear from you! I was just thinking about our thread this morning on the drive to work! I have been jogging and, up until today, it has been especially nice and less humid in the south. Great for being outdoors! So I've had some great 4-mile runs lately and even shaved off some time in my speed work. Also I think I mentioned I started back to a Pilates class once a week on Thursday nights so that has been good. Besides all the garden work in late afternoon (fertilizing, picking veggies, deadheading and weeding,etc). Keep up the good work and exercise, folks!

o

I'm trying to go to the gym six days a week -- stretch class twice a week, a strength/cardio class twice a week and then treadmill the last two days. Might try to switch around a bit so I can do a barre class now and then. My problem is that once I stop going for more than a couple of days, that's it, I don't return for a while. So I really need to make sure not to take more than one day off.

o

I was thinking of these threads today! Um, no working out.

It feels like every month I am saying, "I just have to get through ____ and then I can get to work". My gym moved in July and haven't been to the new location yet. DS broke his hand, then needed surgery, and now is heading in for his really big orthognathic surgery on his jaw next Friday. This along with new EMR software at my Medical Records job and getting DD settled and the weird phone calls she got...Aaaargh!

I will see you in September! (in my best singsong voice)

On a good note, I'm off the carbs and sugar. Which has been really tough as stress eating is my THING.

o

Hang in there, bethpen. Life gets in the way of our good intentions sometimes, so don't feel guilty. Hope your son gets through his physical hurdles soon & that your life calms down. And congrats on staying off the carbs & sugar during these stressful times. That would be the first weak link to snap for me. Yes, we hope to see you in September!

o

I am! I hadn't started another thread because it seemed interest was waning, but I started another blog (which I barely write on) only to keep myself on track regarding how many weeks it's been. For some reason, the 6 week cycle works well for me mentally.

I work out 5-6 days a week still. I am unsure as to how long I need to rest between workouts. . . .I try to vary muscle groups (upper vs. lower is as far as I get) and just sort of play it by ear. I can see more definition happening in my quads (finally). Slow and steady, I remind myself!

I am also using a 15 lb kettlebell now, having progressed from 10. I think I could go a little heavier for some of the moves (like deadlift), but for anything like a snatch, 15 lbs is right.

I am finding it interesting to continue with routines so that I see progress/get the form perfect but at the same time, add some new things in that really challenge me. It's such a learning process, but I figure if I am doing something, then it's OK.

I bought some protein bars and I think they are helping overall. I have always been "taught" that we overeat protein, so vegetarians are usually fine in that dept., but I think I wasn't getting enough. They aren't the best tasting, but I eat one a day as part of my breakfast.

Beth, you are going through so much right now. If exercise would add stress, then you are wise to skip. If it would help, do 5 minutes. (Just 5 minutes). Wow about the sugar and carbs! Good for you!

Gail, yes-- it's so easy to skip. I find myself too tired in the morning these days to get up and do it, but I do . . .but then I pay because I am tired. I usually want to exercise, but since the early am is the only time I can, it's tough. I know that if I start skipping I'll quit.

Awm, I need to get her book-- it's in my cart on Amazon. The DVDs are so expensive!

Gscience and Outside-- that is great from both of you!

My mom (82!) was telling me she needs to lose 5 lbs. My mom has always been thin-- always. She still is! I told her that the last thing she needs to do is lose 5 lbs. She would likely be losing muscle! (Can you imagine?) I told her to go to the dr. and get approved for an exercise program. Maybe I will buy her a set of really light weights. Anyone know of something super-safe for her? She is very active (walks a lot) but has never done exercise for the sake of exercise.

o

Anele,
I think you should consider paying for, or insisting she pay for, at least one visit to a personal trainer for your Mom. If your Mom is approved for exercise by her doc, you want her doing the RIGHT things for her needs and abilities.

My MIL broke her ankle and had terrible trouble using a walker because she had very little upper body strength, which I think is common in women. It would probably benefit your Mom to build strength but you certainly don't want her injuring herself while doing it.

A personal trainer will be able to recommend if she needs weights or exercise bands or even exercises with household items.

I think a really long term benefit to your Mom working out is your daughters will see that fitness and exercise are important for a woman's whole life.

o

I'm not pleased with my activity level, mainly because the weather has been nice and I so much prefer walking to lifting, so I've been walking...but I need to keep strong.

No worries today or tomorrow though as DH will be renting the log splitter and we'll be spending our days splitting wood. Ugh! Talk about weight lifting, I typically end up moving about 2 cord of wood, twice! My least favorite thing to do. But I do enjoy the warm fires all winter....

If you are looking for gentle basic exercises, check out the CDC site. These may be too gentle for your Mom if she's active, but they can help highlight the areas she needs to work more. Or she can do more reps or add more weight.

Here is a link that might be useful: CDC/Tufts exercises

o

Yes, a personal trainer who specializes in senior adults would be great. This is a huge market. It's not going to be covered by insurance, unless she has some deficit where physical therapy is warranted. But even so, PT pays for so many sessions, then you are on your own. Not only resistance training but balance training.

DH and I are also doing the month of August alcohol-free. When we did this in January, we both lost a few lbs.

o

HHireno, that is an idea . . .but she doesn't even want to go to the doc to get approved (suddenly has a distrust) so I'm not sure a PT would work with her without a note? If I were a PT, I wouldn't. Good point about upper body strength. She is in good shape ATM (in terms of walks well) but I know one fall could be a problem. You never know.

Annie, thanks for the link! I will send her those and tell her to go really slowly. Your walking is great-- maybe add some ankle weights or fill a backpack with weights/soup cans so that you can enjoy the weather while adding a challenge?

Gscience, you're right-- and you know, she lives RIGHT BY a health club that is part of a hospital. We used to work out there together (sporadically) a long time ago. I bet they would have great people to work with her age group. But getting her to go to the doc for a note could be a problem . . .at this point (thank goodness) she has no issues, so it'd be out of pocket, but she lives comfortably, so she has the means . . .but she doesn't like to spend on herself. (Very generous with others.)

On another note, I was looking for a new kettlebell workout this am and found this site ( http://www.fitnessblender.com/ ). Wow! No music for the videos that I saw, but you could put your own on. This husband and wife team has created over 300 free fitness videos (not just KB-- everything). Really neat. I was going to buy their 8 week program (not expensive) but from the comments, it looks like you need equipment I don't have (like a bench) and exercise I don't want (running/treadmill). Maybe I will look at the 30 min program/8 weeks . . .could be different.

I think I am going to start the 5 day challenge tomorrow-- it's free. Anyone else want to do it with me? Says all you need is a set of dumbbells.

Here is a link that might be useful: 5 Day Challenge

o

Thanks, but no thanks. I'm suspicious when they self-describe their workout as "brutal". I'm so afraid of causing injury and doing myself more harm than good. I'm getting too old for that.

But there do seem to be quite a lot of KB routines available on line, some look more strenuous than others.

gsciencechick, you raise an important point about balance and the elderly...a lot of their falls are related to a loss of a sense of balance, and working on balance really strengthens the muscles too.

o

There are balance training curricula out there for seniors: Fall Proof is one of them, but they can also do yoga, Tai Chi, or Qi Jong. A lot of senior groups do Tai Chi.

o

Annie, in the one that was described as "brutal," they also recommend pacing yourself, listening to your body, etc. I am always aware that I may have to modify things because of my knees and such . . .so I don't blindly do routines/moves ever. I will give it a try and report back to you.

Are you looking for no-impact?

Good point, Annie and Gscience about balance. Again, she hasn't had issues, but they could creep up suddenly. She absolutely HATES any connection to being a "senior" (she makes comments like: "I don't want to hang out with a bunch of old people!") so certainly any group of people who are elderly would be a turnoff for her, haha!

o

anele, I'm glad you are careful, but alas, my type A personality is not and it's very difficult for me to see whats on TV and not try it myself, whether I should or not. I've always done what the teacher told me!
:)

o

Ahh, I get you, Annie! I figure if I do it and I do it wrong, it interferes with my perfectionist self, hahaha! So I aim for perfect vs. compliant, LOL!

o

Well, frustration aside that the splitter died with 16 pieces of wood yet to split, here's what we accomplished on Th and Fr. I moved every single piece of wood at least twice...first unsplit to get to the splitter and then after they're split, to the stack. And yes, those stacks are double deep. I guess I managed to get my weight lifting in for this week....

o

Wow, Annie! That is REAL exercise!

BTW, I have done 2 of the 5 day workouts. They are very good and not brutal, because you can change the weights to suit you. Tomorrow is the "brutal" one . . .I looked at a preview and it does look hard. I want to get into HIIT, though . . .I feel like I need to rev up what I am doing. This cellulite is not budging ONE BIT.

o

Yes, I am still at it. I started Adult Ballet in early January and moved from 2x up to 4-5x a week over the first couple months. It is mostly done at the barre and I was surprised to find it is extremely low impact and extremely toning. At 61yo, I am the main regular at the class. The early 30s instructor wants to get me into the real adult ballet circuit lol (I refer to it as Senior Tour as in senior golf tour)

I would love to lose 4-10 pounds (my upper body is almost a size bigger than my lower body) but I do find I cannot stay away from carbs when I work out so hard. I am still a bit soft around the middle but to be honest no one would agree with my "I want to lose weight" thoughts. I admit to being in the camp of "we really should remain the same weight for life". Being a bit thicker in the middle makes me think of all older "fixed" female dogs that have turned into barrels. Ahhh, but I digress.

I can really get into it as my legs are very strong these days - even the backs of my hands are sweaty half way through class. It becomes a harder workout the more fit you are (or you can make it so). Am hoping the old body can keep this up......I am really liking the results.

I started jogging in college BEFORE Nike and Adidas were even invented and ran 3-5 mi a day for years, joints weren't as happy any more so switched it up to 5 mile walks. Stayed thin-ish but no great tone. Ballet gets you tone. I was also the dog walker for the past 20 years (two different Goldens) and found this class after we lost the one that led to my name. DH really wanted another golden boy, so we adopted a great big ball of fur in March but he gets to walk this one.....I do not want to give up my class.

o

Yes, I am still at it. I started Adult Ballet in early January and moved from 2x up to 4-5x a week over the first couple months. It is mostly done at the barre and I was surprised to find it is extremely low impact and extremely toning. At 61yo, I am the main regular at the class. The early 30s instructor wants to get me into the real adult ballet circuit lol (I refer to it as Senior Tour as in senior golf tour)

I would love to lose 4-10 pounds (my upper body is almost a size bigger than my lower body) but I do find I cannot stay away from carbs when I work out so hard. I am still a bit soft around the middle but to be honest no one would agree with my "I want to lose weight" thoughts. I admit to being in the camp of "we really should remain the same weight for life". Being a bit thicker in the middle makes me think of all older "fixed" female dogs that have turned into barrels. Ahhh, but I digress.

I can really get into it as my legs are very strong these days - even the backs of my hands are sweaty half way through class. It becomes a harder workout the more fit you are (or you can make it so). Am hoping the old body can keep this up......I am really liking the results.

I started jogging in college BEFORE Nike and Adidas were even invented and ran 3-5 mi a day for years, joints weren't as happy any more so switched it up to 5 mile walks. Stayed thin-ish but no great tone. Ballet gets you tone. I was also the dog walker for the past 20 years (two different Goldens) and found this class after we lost the one that led to my name. DH really wanted another golden boy, so we adopted a great big ball of fur in March but he gets to walk this one.....I do not want to give up my class.

o

Thank you for reviving this thread awm03. I have been working out almost every day this summer. 2-3 times a week I hit the gym for cardio and weight training. The other days I walk, either inside (Leslie Sanson DVD's) or outside with the dogs.

I don't want to need PT if I can avoid it!

o

Annie, I did the HIIT routine just now. It WAS brutal. I had to modify one ex. and switch one completely. But, the instructor was getting really tired, and he admitted to having a hard time, too. (A really fun couple to work out with-- very no-frills and very focused.) I know I wasn't close to doing everything he was . . .but it keeps you so busy you don't have time to look at the screen anyway.

My face is so red and sweaty from it right now. So red! I have not been this red after a workout in ???

I'm going to start the meditation you suggested today. (Signed up.) Along with that, I am cutting my screen time way back for a week in my attempt to remain more present. Hope everyone has a great week!

o

Anele, thanks for letting me know...when the instructor struggles, it's REALLY brutal for sure!

Just dial it back some...a really red face is not a good thing...don't want any heart attacks or anything!

I'll look forward to hearing how the meditation goes.

It's a beautiful day for a walk today, so I'll be heading out for sure.

o

I’m swimming and biking on the days I can but we have had so much rain. On nice days I have had to double up on my pool routine so I’m very sore today. Normally I would do an exercise cd on a rainy day but my move and remodels have screwed me up a bit. I’m waiting for my new/old media stand to come back from the refinisher so I can hook up all the media components. Before I moved in here and was living with son while house hunting I joined a gym that was very near his home. There are no close gyms near me now and I strangely miss the machine workouts, in the past I hated working out on machines and preferred power matt home Pilate’s or other workout cd’s (I have over two hundred) . I feel in a bit of a funk with all the disorganization in my new home and all the remodels at the moment so think I’ll make a drive to a gym twice a week to clear my head of this place and add more of a cross train. Right now I’m feeling like I’m just barely maintaining. Don’t like this feeling so time to switch it up. Also do not like my belly after vacation and a temporary slight negligence in my diet during the moving process. So, todays the day!

o

I feel like a big slug this summer. I started off the summer on a fantastic note - running nearly every day while my kids were at swim practice, as well as doing paddle yoga once a week, along with push ups, planks, other things at home. Then, one morning while my daughter was at the weight room at school for soccer workouts, I decided to go for a run rather than drive home and come back. Long story short, I turned my ankle on a big rock about a mile in. Hurt like heck….almost fell over, took me several minutes to catch my breath, stretch it out, etc. Then, like a fool, I decided to continue my run for the rest of the 4 miles. Didn't hurt too much while running, but as soon as I stopped, I could barely walk. Of course, this happened the morning we were leaving town for a lacrosse tournament which included a day at Hershey Park. UGH. I'm not one to go to the doctor for every little injury, but this time, I HAD to. Turned out I tore several ligaments in my foot and had to wear a boot for three weeks. I finally got the boot off and have been wearing a brace the last week but just got the green light to ease back into running. I haven't yet.

I did do a sunrise paddle yoga class last week that was amazing so I'm planning to continue that now that I can. Last Thursday, dh and I took a 2-day escape to a B&B while the kids were at camp. We biked over 17 miles through a national wildlife refuge near our B&B, then that afternoon, I swam about 15 laps in the pool at the B&B. I should add that I am NOT a biker or a swimmer!!!! But it felt so good to do both! But I am looking forward to getting back to my normal routine again. I'm supposed to run a 10K in late October as well as a 1/2 marathon in November. I know I'll be fine for the 10K, but I'm a bit worried about the 1/2. I haven't done one since last year and now feel a bit behind since I haven't been able to run at all in a month and will have to start off with very low mileage while my ankle continues to heal. Normally I do a local 10mile race in August, but this year, I forgot to sign up which I guess ended up being a good thing since I wouldn't have been able to train for it.

It's amazing how quickly one can feel the loss of strength and toning. I feel so blah! I did do a ton of walking with that stupid boot on, so my legs didn't suffer too much after lugging that thing around, but definitely jiggly in several other places. Kids go back to school in two weeks, so I'm hoping to get back on track once we have a more set schedule.

o

Amazing how an injury can set you back. And the irony is, here you are trying to do something healthy! I felt that way when I broke my ankle while jogging. The break was one thing....the 1/2 mi walk home on the broken ankle was a whole 'nother thing!

I'm glad you're healing and able to start getting back, but take it slow. Ligaments are really tough to heal.

o

Ouch, fourkids...that's a tough one, tearing your ankle ligaments. So sorry to hear that. I had tendon injuries in my feet last summer, and yes, unfortunately, tendons & ligaments are slowwww to heal. I iced them all summer & had no improvement. But stretching, massaging, & using the water jets at a local pool finally got them on the right track. Getting blood flowing into the injury seemed to be the key. So maybe try heat, gentle stretching, a whirlpool, & massage if you're up to it.

lv_r_golden, wonderful about your ballet classes! Ballet takes flexibility as well as iron-like strength. I find as I age that it's a battle to retain joint mobility, especially in the shoulders and hips. Ballet would be a great workout for that, as well as being graceful & disciplined. And who doesn't want to be graceful and disciplined?!

Pats on the back to the rest of you. It's not easy getting out of a comfy air conditioned house during the lazy hot days of August. We have quite a bit of will power in our little group, don't we!

o

Well, I had wanted to do participate in the original 6 week challenge but life got in the way and I feel terribly out of it. Now life is going to force me to work out. We think the fuel pump went out in the truck but we are not sure when exactly Dh will be able to fix it. That means my 2 youngest sons have to take the bus to school and the bus stop is 1 mile away one way, so it looks like I am in for 4 miles a day, 5 days a week. I felt it today but hopefully this will be the kick in the pants I need.

o

tishtosh, that sounds perfect...20 min out, 20 min back. Good for you and for them too! Or jog one way to save time.

We took advantage of the lovely weather this weekend and went for a walk along a river that is about an hour away from us...it was a lovely walk, except for the narrow, rocky, rooty, muddy footpath along the steep side of the river for awhile. Scares me and makes my heart jump and my stomach drop, so afraid I'll trip or end up in the river, but it's good for me to be challenged. As I'm carefully picking my way along the scary path lest I or DH twist an ankle, a young couple come dancing by, walking along lickety split, not a care in the world. Oh to be young again!

o

Fourkids, I must have missed your post a week or so ago that you tore ligaments in your ankle! So sorry. I know when you are accustomed to running and then can't, it's a hard pill to swallow. I hope you get back to your old form soon. Sounds like you are getting well on your way. I am 66 now (as of yesterday) and wish I had the energy and knees to try a half-marathon. I surprised myself by doing a 10k this year after not racing for a while. Have signed up for two 5k races already this fall, and if a good 10k is going on around Nov, I may try it again. It is supposed to be near 100 this weekend and I am not a hot weather runner. I'll get out and do 3-4 miles but that's all. And I hate the treadmill.

o

outsideplaying, you are an inspiration. Happy birthday, and congrats on your fitness at your age.

tishtoshnm, well, at least your fuel pump problem has a silver lining to it. Sounds like you'll develop good base fitness from all that walking so you can try other, less time consuming exercise when the truck gets fixed.

o

Thanks, awm. I just like to see discussions like this and know that others are so supportive in this group. As we all know, life has its ups and downs and exercise can help get our minds back in gear and keep us on a healthy path.

Anele, I was re-reading your initial post and I am going to try to find the Kettlebells for Women is available on Nook. It really looks pretty good. Unless you know of something else I might try. I have done a few exercises with KBs but not a whole workout. For the coming winter I was thinking of trying a few more things with mine at home since it seems hard to get to the gym some nights.

o

Outside, are you good with form? I can't compare since I don't have the suggested book, but the Sarah Lurie one is very good and super cheap. It's about $7 or $8 for 4 different DVDs. 2 are tutorials and 2 are workouts. I noticed that others (free KB workouts) I've come across don't put the same emphasis as getting strength/inertia from hips, which seems to be the safest and most effective. I am sure the book does, though.

I have not worked out at all this week! Saturday brought me food poisoning and I still have pain in my stomach today. I am going to do something tomorrow. Got some new adjustable weights (range from3-24 lbs) in preparation for my 8 week Fitness Blender workout, which I was supposed to start Mon.

You are all awesome. FOR SURE I would not be at this point, continuing on, had it not been for all of you.

o

outsideplaying, my kbell group has been following the Kettlebells for Women workout schedule this summer and we're very pleased with the results. We all feel we're getting a thorough, balanced workout top to bottom and are stronger. I can't truly comment on her first level workouts because we're doing levels 2& 3 but assume they're as thorough & effective as the more advanced levels. Her instructions and photo examples are very clear. What I especially like about the workouts is you vary the intensity of the exercises by the adjusting amount of resting time (do follow her time suggestions). So as you get fitter & stronger, you can do, say, an easier series of exercises but do them with little rest in between. Or do one of the harder series, but give yourself extra recovery time. It's a really versatile plan, not a strict forward progression where you feel like you can't backtrack without losing ground.

I discovered a useful tip today. We're working in an unairconditioned room, so we are dripping with sweat, and the heavy bells get slippery -- not good when you're snatching or pressing them overhead. We use chalk, but that doesn't work for me for long. But if I grip the bell with a paper towel, the paper absorbs the sweat but still allows for good swing action and a firm grip at the same time. Think I'll bring a roll to class from now til cooler weather sets in.

o

Awm, I have the sweaty hand problem sometimes! I looked up solutions awhile ago, and someone suggested wearing sweatbands for the wrists. Said the sweat often drips from the body, down the arm, vs. just the hands getting sweaty. I've noticed that this helps!

o

Wrist bands work up to a point, then I just overwhelm them! It was a problem back when I was a tennis player. Chalk just turns to goo. And I thought of using my cycling gloves, but feared they might be too hot on my hands. Ought to at least try them... In my own home, I keep a fan pointed at me, but in the group, nobody else likes a fan blowing on them. At least with the paper towel trick, it's a quick fix for snatches, presses, & get ups where you really could drop the bell on yourself, or for swings where you could let fly. I've worked up to a 25 pound bell now -- control is harder, and when the handle is slippery, a little scary.

Looking forward to cool weather & working out outside again. We worked outside last winter, and it was wonderful. Nylon gloves were excellent for kbelling in the cold.

o

No I haven't been. But I started back today. I just feel old and tired I guess. Trying to get it together again.

o

outsideplaying, Happy Belated Birthday. I am a few months older than you so show me respect :-)

I am from Los Angeles where humidity is non existent. Kudos to all of you who work out during the hot summer months. Much like the Wicked Witch, I'd melt.

I exercise almost every day. I either use my treadmill or elliptical up to an hour on days I don't do weights. I usually do weights every other day.

I would love to try Kettle bells but I have a tendency to overdo everything and I'd probably try a 25 lb kettle bell the first time and end up in the ER.

My motivation to continue to work out is as I get older, I am thankful that I can even get out of bed. Seriously, I credit my, knock wood, good health partly to my exercising for most of my life. It certainly made Menopause easier.

o

Anele and awm. Thanks for the tips. I will look for those DVDs. Yes, I am good with form. I have worked a little with kb's previously and also a personal trainer so I am very conscious with form. Also pilates instructor has us do kb's now and then but only a small workout or two incorporated and she is also very form-conscious, especially with the core and hip positions.

I have workout gloves and find that if I use any weights including kbs, they help to minimize sweat and to improve my grip. The trick is to find a pair that really fit correctly around the fingers as well as the hand.

o

Oh man, haven't done pilates in awhile, did it today, and don't I know it. Amazing how I don't feel myself getting stronger, but if I slack, I sure know I'm getting weaker!

Of course, it was much more difficult as Mila was trying to help...kept walking by me and giving me her stink-butt just as I was inhaling! Gotta love kitties!

o

AnnieD, were you the one who could do planks for a minute or more? That's fantastic. I fizzle after 30 seconds. Mila gets a pass because she is a kitty, and all kitties are wonderful :)

joanie38, no beating up on yourself, now. We all go through stretches where it's tough to find time or the motivation. Pats on the back for doing something. Better to do a little something that you enjoy than to make exercise such a grind that you can't sustain it.

o

Yeah, awm, I haven't done it in awhile, but I was up to 2 min. I'm having a lot of shoulder pain lately so have been going easy on it. But today we're going to be splitting more wood, so I'll definitely be working that shoulder...

o

Marlene, I forgot to say...Thank you for the birthday wishes!! And you cracked me up with your comments about ending up the in the ER. DD is an RN in the ER on a trauma team, and also a tri athlete. I keep telling her I may show up there one day....I sure hope not! That's why I'm doing all this.

Joanie and Annie, hang in there. Little steps are also good steps. Annie, take care of that shoulder.

o

Hooray! Wood splitting is done for the year. I hate splitting wood and I'm so delighted when it's done! Celebrated with mocha madness ice cream. Yum!

o

Outside, happy belated birthday!

Annie, yay for the chore being done! That's a great feeling!

We just joined the YMCA. My husband found an ad for it on FB-- no joiner fee. Since he was the one who found it, he was enthusiastic about it. (Anyone else have a spouse/partner like this, haha?)

I already signed the kids up for yoga . . .and they have a skating rink opening in Nov. Hopefully we will all get more exercise!

o

DH has been going to the Y faithfully for years...he goes every a.m. 5 days a week.

I'm thinking that I need a nice compact 20 min workout that I can fall back on busy days. Lately I've had a lot going on and it's easy to skip the workout as it "takes too long". But it's really hard to argue that 20 min is "too long".

Many years ago, I used to watch a program called 20 min workout and it included some stretching, some aerobics, some muscle building and it was great for its compactness.

Anyone know of something equivalent I could try?

o

Annie, I have seen some 10 minute stretches and mini workouts for runners but that isn't likely to be what you need. The ones I saw recently took 10-20 minutes and were meant to improve both running form and additional fitness. I'll have to find the link again if you are interested. I bookmarked it at work I know.

BTW I ran a 5k Saturday morning and really had a great race. I won my age group (65-69)! Really got a good start and had an 11 minute first mile and a little over that for the second. The 3rd mile I slowed down a bit but the course was really rolling hills and there was a hill just before the end of mile 3. I finished in 35:40 so very happy with that.

o

Annie, what does your DH do at the Y?

I keep mentioning Fitness Blender, but if you use their site, you can either find complete, short workouts or put them together yourself. You can search by intensity, length, etc. I'd definitely like to know what you used in the past, if you figure it out. Sounds great. The Fitness Blender program I started last week has been enjoyable (and I feel sore!) and takes no more than 30 min total.

Outside, CONGRATS!! That is awesome and inspiring!!!

o

Outside, hooray!!! Attagirl :) How cool that you won your age group!

o

Way to go OP!!! Congrats!

Anele, DH does the gym stuff, he does cardio (treadmill or bike or orbital) and he does the machines and he does stretching.

I'm glad you asked about the 20 min workout I used to do because I then went looking and found it. They have a few of the programs up on youtube! I used to do it every am before work...man that was back in the 80s, leg warmers and all! Now that I've found them, I can go back and try them and see how I do.

Of course the bad news is, now I've lost my excuse not to exercise daily!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: 20 min workout

o

Ha, ha!!! Spandexhoneys! From your link, Annie. That is the best name ever . . .I will definitely try it out!

o

I joined "Get In Shape For Women" last week. Does anyone else have these franchises in their area? I like it because they do weights, cardio, and an eating plan all under one umbrella. And you have an appointment to show up for small group sessions so you have to show up. Also, for me, when I know eyes are on me, I work harder. Anyway, I have been only twice but signed up for 6 months so I hope to be transformed...

o

I don't remember if we talked about it, but a recent nutrition action letter was talking about the benefits of interval training...apparently rather powerful in as little as 20 min 3x per week. The idea being you work out at moderate intensity for a minute and then maximum intensity for a minute. I was looking and found some interesting videos, but I'm not sure how "interval" they were...they just looked hard. Then I checked in itunes and I see there is a group of podcasts by Skip Orem that are interval training...they are timed and cued for the different intensity levels and the music changes too. May be something fun to play with...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here