Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msrose

Shampoo/Conditioner that adds body?

msrose
10 years ago

My hair used to be thick and a little frizzy, so I've always looked for shampoo and conditioners that helped straighten hair. I'm getting older and my hair is getting thinner, so I'm thinking I need to use something for body, but do they really work? Do you have one you like?

Comments (20)

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

My hair is very fine and thin. I've used just about every product for volume and have finally settled on Pureology Pure Volume Shampoo & Conditioner.

It has mixed reviews but for me it really does add volume and doesn't fade color treated hair. The smell is just okay.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Lately I've been liking John Freida's Root Awakening.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Frederic Fekkai, although pricey, work well. You might have to start layering products. Do you use a really really large round brush when styling? That helps too.
    I go to a Frederic Fekkai salon. I am always asking what is being used and usually walk out with something .
    I am still trying to find the right combination of products for days with high humidity. My hair is dry and frizzy, but you wouldn't know it most of the year.

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ellendi - I do have a big round brush and my hair looks great right after I style it, but it doesn't take long to go flat :(

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annie - I see John Frieda has one called Luxurious Volume. Have you tried it? One of the reviews on Amazon compared it to Fekkai that Ellendi mentioned.

Ellendi - So what else are you using besides the shampoo and conditioner? Any other must haves?

Kellyeng - Some of the Amazon reviews say that you only need a small amount of the Pureology. Do you find that to be true?

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

Yes, you only need a tiny bit - it lathers up a lot. It kind of tangles your hair like a clarifying shampoo but just a little bit of conditioner smooths your hair out.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

msrose, go on the website. You will find specific products for what you want to accomplish.

I use the glaze for periodic conditioning, the ironless straightening balm and the serum. I also use summer hair and I use the glossing cream. I mix and match these products.

I like how the aromas are not over powering.
    I use the shampoo and conditioner for color treated hair.
    I will probably buy a deep conditioning mask this time around.
    When I want my hair to look especially nice,( going out at night) I will shampoo, conditioner and use the glazing product. Then I use a product for damp hair. Blow dry and finish with a finishing cream. If it is very humid, my hair will stay for a few hours.

As I mentioned, I am still working on the right combo for when it is really humid out. I have tried two Fekkai hair sprays and I really would not recommend them.
    When you have problem hair, really good products do make a big difference. My DH is lucky, he can use Sauve!

Bed, Bath and Beyond has some Fekkai products and you can use the 20% off coupon. Also sometimes Costco has shampoo and conditioner sets, so big saving if they have it.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

No, the root awakening is the only one I've tried. I also have very thin hair and have had issues with hair loss over the years so have also used Nioxin which is expensive but good. I buy it in a beauty supply store.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I never understood how putting a topical shampoo on your head could make your roots generate more or thicker hair. I've used cheap shampoos and expensive shampoos and everything in between, and I've never noticed that any change the texture of my hair. I try to buy sulfate-free products that smell nice, aren't watered down, and cost less than $10 a bottle.

Right now I really like Andalou products. Their website claims they use fruit stem cells to thicken hair, but...see my first sentence.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

May flowers, the products that I talk about give the illusion of body and volume. But, I do think that my overall condition of my hair has improved when using quality products.
    I would love to be able to use cheaper products, but they just don't work for me.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

MsRose, I have thick hair that is skinny! I have a lot of hairs but each hair is skinny and tends to be flyaway. I use Pantene shampoo with conditioner for Volume. It helps but what really makes a difference for me is Redken 06 Thickening Lotion, which I put in my hair while it is still wet, then dry it over a brush. The Redken product has done wonders for my flat, flyaway hair. I order big bottles on Amazon.

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My BBB didn't have shampoo of any kind, so I went to Target to look for John Frieda and low and behold they had Fekkai. I just got John Frieda this time and I'll get Fekkai the next time I go.

kellyeng - Do you order Pureology or buy it locally?

dedtired - I've been using Pantene for years, but I use the one that helps straighten hair. I hadn't thought about trying the one for volume. Duh! I'll put Redken Thickening Lotion on my list!

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

Ded, my hair sounds like yours. Lots of it but very fine and I don't even have the slightest bend to it -- it's stick straight. I have found that the key is a good haircut, although obviously the right products also help. I feel like I've tried them all. I used to LOVE Bumble & Bumble Gentle Shampoo several years ago when I got it from the salon. It made my hair seem more bouncy, somehow. Then I stopped using it for a few years, rediscovered it and bought it again -- but it didn't seem to work the same magic.

It seems that no matter what I do, my color treated hair (which is colored the same as my natural color, brown with a hint of red) gets lighter, almost brassy looking, within a few weeks after coloring.

• kgwlisa
    10 years ago

I like aussie awesome volume, or however the heck they spell it in their clever semi-punny way. I am not sure it adds volume but it doesn't seem to take it away and weigh down like so many other things do. I, too, have lots of hair but it is very fine. :-p

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

Pure abundance by aveda. Love the shampoo and conditioner and also the phomollient foam. Great products!

• sis3
    10 years ago

I have very fine, straight hair. I use the paraben and sulfate free organic shampoo from Costco. It was recommended by a GW member and I have been using it ever since, with very good results. Link below to the shampoo on the Amazon site but I buy mine from Costco.
    The biggest improvement to my hair has come with my Fuhrman influenced diet. I have always had a very healthy diet but now I have taken it to a new level. My hair feels thicker and looks healthy and shiny. A friend commented only yesterday how thick my hair looks. I also notice that my skin looks brighter and my nails are stronger.

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic paraben and sulfate free shampoo

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

sis3 - I've had some health issues for the last couple of years and haven't been able to eat like I should, so I'm sure that has something to do with my thinning hair, along with the hystorectomy I had last year. I have one of Dr. Fuhrman's books and if I can ever get back to eating normally, I will certainly be incorporating lots of his recipes. Good to know you can see a difference.

iheart - Is Aveda something you can find at Target/Walmart?

This post was edited by msrose on Tue, Aug 6, 13 at 20:13

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

Was walmart a requirement? I missed that sorry. I buy at my salon, but you can also purchase from the website: http://www.aveda.com

I use the shampoo daily, the conditioner every other day. A bottle lasts for months. The foam is the best! So light weight. I find that it creates body and makes it a breeze to style my hair. Best of all, I don't need hairspray!

• rilie
    10 years ago

Probably not Msrose, there are usually Aveda exclusive salons (at least in Canada). But you can order it online. I too love their products, although I haven't used the Pure Abundance.

You might also consider their Volumizing Tonic, which you spray on your roots prior to blow-drying. They have this tip on their website, and it really does help give your hair a 'lift' at the roots:

"Rough-dry" hair using a blow dryer and your fingers until it is about 80% dry. Lift sections of hair and spray Volumizing Tonic near the scalp area; then use a round brush, blow dryer and hands to further enhance volume."

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

iheart- Oh no, Walmart/Target definitely isn't a requirement. I was just trying to figure out where to get it.

Thanks, rilie!

I'm going to have more shampoo than I know what to do with after I buy all the ones I want to try :)