Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellyeng

Philidelphia One Night/Day

kellyeng
10 years ago

My sister lives in NJ and has never been to Philadelphia so we are planning a quick trip when I visit her in early November. She's given me the job of figuring the trip out.

We will be there from Friday afternoon to Saturday evening. The only place we for sure want to visit is the Philadelphia Museum of Art. My sister really just wants to see the "Rocky Steps." I know, she's weird.

We want to walk a bunch, eat authentic, stay in a nice hotel and see some historical sites and do some shopping.

My 9yo nephew will be with us and is a good sport when hanging out with us women but he's a playground junkie so I would love to surprise him with a play pit stop.

Can we do all this without having to get in the car all the time?

Any recommendations?

Comments (6)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Your nephew might love the Franklin Institute and the Mutter Museum (S. 22nd St between Market and Chestnut). Both are walking distance from the Art Museum. He is the perfect age for both!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Gotta see the liberty bell...

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Annie's post reminded me-the Omni is on Chestnut St. Near Independence Hall/National Park which is a must. I just take that as a given if anyone goes to Philadelphia. :)

I love Philadelphia. If you are hiking all around, hit some of the squares, too-Rittenhouse Square is lovely as is Washington Square which is close to Independence Hall.

• camlan
    10 years ago

The Betsey Ross House is a bit further out (Arch and 2nd St.) but most 9 year olds will have heard the story about the flag. When we lived in Philly, younger kids seemed most interested in the Liberty Bell and the Ross House, because they knew something about them. The Constitutional Convention, not so much.

• jerseygirl_1
    10 years ago

Definitely go to the Constitution Center. It's for every age and just awesome.

For lunch make sure you get to the Reading Terminal. It will be very crowded on Saturday but worth the trip. It's located at 11th or 12th and Arch St. Gosh I should know exactly but I have radar since I am originally from Philly. Also, everyone likes the steak sandwiches from Jim's on South Street.

The Art Museum usually has entertainment of some sort on Friday nights along with cocktails and light fare. Exhibits are open also. Check out their website for the dates you plan to visit.

You can just about walk everywhere. Make sure you have very comfortable sneakers. Bus service is also great in the city.

So much to see in such little time.

• funkyart
    10 years ago

I dont know about a play pit but I have very fond memories of the Franklin Institute as a kid.. and love the museum. I agree with Cyn, I'd want to stay near Independence Mall -- there's so much in easy walking distance from that immediate area, China town, Reading Terminal Market, Old city is just a great area to walk around.. and in addition to the Betsy Ross house and Elfreth's Alley, there are a ton of funky vintage and decor stores. If South Street is your thing, it's also an easy walk.. as is Penn's Landing and the seaport museum. Penn's Landing has a lot of activities through the summer-- including outdoor movies.

I've never done a Duck tour but friends of mine RAVE about it-- I'd think it would be a great way to get your bearings and learn about the neighborhoods.. and your nephew would love it.

I've stayed at the Omni, the Society Hill Sheraton and whatever is connected to the convention center/reading terminal market.. they are all in easy walking distance from many of the sites listed. The Omni is by far the nicer of the bunch but I'd stay in the others again if I just needed.