Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dedtired

If I see one more #, I am going to scream

dedtired
10 years ago

I see those darn hashtags all over the internet. I know they are specific to Twitter, but they seem to be used everywhere now, and for no purpose.

I keep reading things like #adorable #sosleepy #pinktoes --#whatever. It is sooooo #irritating.

All my life that sign was called a pound sign, and it still is on voice mail systems. "If you know your party's extension, press the pound sign now". Does anyone else find them ridiculous? I don't even know their purpose on Twitter. I have an account there but I just don't see the attraction.

#grumpy

Comments (21)

• User
    10 years ago

#agree
    #redundant/ridiculous

And now How about the @ ?

@toomanypeople
    @tryingtoohard

• no_green_thumb
    10 years ago

sad part is that I don't even know what all that stuff means --- and quite frankly don't want to. I don't do FB or Twitter -- and don't want to. Right now we have a very serious family problem caused by a son's girlfriend who posted nasty stuff about us - and I think my son is more angry that we found out than the fact of what she did --- so I just stay away from all of that.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

OMG, LMAO!

#overthehill

• blfenton
    10 years ago

I don't know what it's all about either. What's irritating is that because all the words run together you have to try to decipher what they are saying. And there are no punctuation marks either - no periods, commas, etc.

My son came in after playing an important ultimate (frisbee) game one day and walked into the room and said "hashtag we won our game". That is literally what he verbally said. I just looked at him and said "hashtag don't start talking to me in hashtag".

• dedtired
    Original Author
    10 years ago

#thatstellinghimmom

Ha ha ha. #funny #shootmenow

• kimberlyrkb
    10 years ago

I'm with you guys. Ugh. I have a friend that uses # after every post on FB and I have no idea what it means. It doesn't do.anything in that capacity, right? So what is the point?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Ded, I think it is just plain stupid. Offense to those who use it intended!

That is SO funny, blf. Actually, maybe not. I agree with ded-just shoot me now. I cannot deal with inane communications like # if it doesn't mean pound or number!Really, really just don't get it.

Good to know there are several of us--strength in numbers (#s?) don't you know!

• dedtired
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, and while we're at it, let's stamp out "went missing". When did we become British?

I think FB has gotten on the hashtag (pound sign, number sign) bandwagon. If you click on a phrase with the # before it, it takes you to other comments on the same subject. I think.

• theroselvr
    10 years ago

Did someone say missing?

Getting tired of everyone looking for this or that "missing" person. People share without checking if they've been found; some were not missing at all; just have not called a specific relative in 20 years. It's another thing if they have a police report...

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    10 years ago

A few years ago I was responsible for making food assignments for a hs sports team for tourney meals. I made out the list and listed Kelly 2# ham . The problem was that neither Kelly or her Mom knew what the # sign meant. Kelly asked my daughter, who looked at her crazy, and said "that's the symbol for pound, you need to bring 2 pounds of ham".

Feeling really old.

• folkvictorian
    10 years ago

Ded, I'm glad I'm not the only one irritated with "went missing".

I went back to college this week after a brief 28 years off, and found that I absolutely MUST set up an account on the college's own social networking site. It's part of my grade for one of my classes, I kid you not. I have to get my photo uploaded (downloaded?) before Tuesday, too, so everyone can see who I am. In each of my classes we spent the first day of class introducing ourselves and getting to know one another. ("Hi, I'm Ashlee and I'm 19 and have a dog named Scruffy")

I think all of this is caused by some overwhelming need for recognition in today's youth. I have a very quiet Facebook account and am puzzled to constantly read people's one-sentence smart-phone updates as to where they are and what they're doing.

Looks like I'm well on my way to becoming a geezer! "Hey! You kids! Get off my lawn!"

• User
    10 years ago

I opened a Facebook account right before I went to Oxford in 2009. I wanted a way to upload photos to something other thn photobucket (which i just hate to use, hadnt found smugmug yet) and be able to communicate with my immediate family. I started getting friend requests from people I knew and accepted them--- and soon I had about 75 people looking at my photos, remarking, innundating me with absurd and often untrue details about their personal life. Well.... Lets just say there are very few people I want to know that well, and I defriended all but the original seven. I haven't put anything on it (status changes) except pictures of trips because it is easier for a few of them to view them on fb than another site. Mainly because fb comes to them--- extraordinarily passive way of living ones life, among other things.

I see many older people who use fb to try to project a public life that is painfully at odds with what is actually happening. I see younger people who can't go out and have a good time unless they have pictures on Facebook to prove they did. There's a tremendous amount of over sharing, it's sort of like a conversation between two people who are not listening to the other because they're so busy planning what to say next.

I don't think that fb is evil, or necessarily stupid, but it can rob you of any vestige of privacy, a commodity that, once lost is difficult to reestablish. Several years ago our family went to Miami beach for Thanksgiving and unbeknownst to me I was logged into fb. It announced what hotel I was staying at, and I got comments from people about their experiences at it ! This was during a time when they changed the terms of their agreement with account holders and required an active opt out. Even with that there were problems, and after a hue and cry they expanded personal control of the accounts.

I think twitter is a complete waste of time and an incredible conceit that anyone would actually think his/her tweets are worth "following."

I turned 57 a few days ago and somewhere along the line seem to have become a curmudgeon!

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

I don't get the #, either!

I was an avid FB user for a few years, to the point where I would encourage others to get on, and thought people who didn't were "missing out."

About 6 months ago, I decided to deactivate my account. I was tired of reading what people had for breakfast, or people expecting that I know x, y, or z because they had posted it on FB (so why didn't I know?), or telling people my own news and finding they had read about it from me on FB but had not commented (creepy), reading about one sad story after another (I got very emotionally involved), or just the basic narcissism of it all. I think many FB users think that if they don't post about their lives on FB, then whatever happened, didn't really happen . . .

I also found out that a friend who I considered to be one of my close friends posted this on FB to a closed group we were once both in: "I don't have any friends; well, maybe one or two." (Someone we both know told me.) I couldn't believe it . . .this is someone who I have invested a LOT of time in, in real life. I have known her for years and she is the godmother of one of my children! I was surprised to be an afterthought, if even that.

It has made me a little bitter toward her. I have pulled back from our friendship somewhat as a result. I didn't tell her our bad news about DH losing his job because lately I didn't feel I could trust her entirely. She continued emailing me, so I finally told her what was up (thinking she cared), and she stopped communicating. I know she posted on FB in the meantime (someone told me), so she IS online. I honestly think she was just asking me because she was nosy, and now that she knows, has her curiosity satisfied.

Pinterest, however, I love!

• hhireno
    10 years ago

Folkvictorian,
    I'm sure your great sense of humor will serve you well in your new life as a coed. I really did laugh out loud at your comments. BTW, I'm told LOL is passé. I'm not hip enough to know what replaced it. You can be our boots on the ground to what the college kids are doing and saying (so that we don't do or say those things).

• dedtired
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Folkvictorian, I also returned to college later in life. I finally graduated at age 43. It is one of the very best things I ever did for myself. I just loved the other "appropriate age" students and they were all really nice to me. However, this was 20 years ago when the internet barely existed and I typed my papers on an electric typewriter. I think I'd moved up to a Commodore computer by graduation! Enjoy the experience.

I use FB too much and am trying to just read what others say and not post much. I heard from a friend the other day and she commented that she is keeping up with my posts on FB. I was kind of embarrassed since I post dumb stuff.

I just wish that darn # sign would contain itself to Twitter and quit creeping everywhere else. I suppose it will eventually die out, like LOL. So what do we say instead?? Maybe #haha

• blfenton
    10 years ago

"Maybe #haha" - LOL or whatever has replaced it or #haha.

Either way that's funny.

My DH, when he first started texting to the kids would always sign off with LOL. The kids couldn't figure out why he was always signing off with laugh out loud. But he wasn't. As far as he was concerned he was signing off with "lots of love".

I'm on FB but only to stay in touch with my sisters and all of my nieces and nephews. I seldom post. My life really is boring and there is no pretending or way around it.

Going back to school when you're older is such a life change and I admire anyone who does it. My sister starts school again this week and is starting her masters program. She is 53.

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

It's worse.

At work, we were attending a group online meeting. ( Citrix Go To Meeting).

The log on instructions now say to enter your meeting ID number, and THE POUND SIGN OR HASHTAG SIGN.

Which tells me that there are a generation of users that all know the HASHTAG sign, and don't have any real life experience to know what the pound sign is.

I was in disbelief.

• Faron79
    10 years ago

I've been on FB for a few yrs., but only check it maybe once or twice a week, and rarely post much.

It can WASTE an INCREDIBLE amount of time!!!

#WTH?!?!? People post SO much crap, I just shake my head.
    There's SO much "Hit like if you support the troops, hit like if you vote for this, hit like if you love Jesus, hit like if you love puppies...."
    AAAAUUUUGGGGHHH!!!!

Do you remember this "Puppy" commercial?!

I did like viewing some posts of people posting some pix of my beloved Bison winning @ K-State however!

#Faron
    ...oops! ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: That's not a real puppy...!

• dedtired
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think FB is not all bad. I have reconnected with people I thought were gone from my life forever, such as college friends. I didn't graduate from the first college so I was not invited to reunions or alumni association meetings, and figured I'd never find them again. Lo and behold, two of them found me on FB which led to others. I also enjoy keeping up with family news. On the other hand,I am tired of pictures of kittens and puppies. Mostly I am tired of pictures of food.

I use FB for getting the news by "liking" CNN and others.

But yes, there is a lot of stupid time-wasting stuff there.

The combination of stupid FB posts and #'s is enough to keep me away forever.

Somebody better decide if # means hashtag, pound or number. If someone says their kid is #5 does that mean they are five years old, their fifth child or weighs five pounds??

• blfenton
    10 years ago

maybe it's their name. Just wait someone will name their kid and begin it with a #. #mykidissocute.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hmmm, I wonder where they will go when they are told to sit in alphabetical order.