Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
no_green_thumb

.... so how DO you put a wardrobe together??

no_green_thumb
10 years ago

I have been reading several posts here - Annie and her trip, kswl and her upcoming trip.
Coordinating clothing for me is as difficult as decorating. I have read some of Youlookfab, the Vivienne files, etc.
Where do you start???
I am planning a complete new wardrobe. Having lost some weight (not enough yet) - none of my fall/winter pants fit. Some of my tops and jackets still do. Although I have gotten rid of a lot that I don't wear (and will get rid of more) - I do not know how to go about starting fresh. What I do have seems so fragmented.
So Annie and kswl ---- what did you do first?? What did you buy first?? If you could direct me to a website or blog that discusses this, that would be so helpful. I have been searching and have had no luck. I did look at the blog Annie mentioned about discovering your style. That is so detailed with facial measurements, etc. I think I need a general direction first. Hope this makes sense!! Thanks a lot.

Comments (48)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

First you have to define your lifestyle so the wardrobe will meet your needs. Do you work? Do you need business formal? Business casual? Or are you stay at home so need comfortable casual all the time? Also you need to consider climate...are you in warm weather all the time? Or will you need cold weather gear.

Once you determine how formal/casual/at home/dressy/warm/cool it needs to be, then you can shop for the pieces that will work together for you.

Find a printed blouse or a scarf that you like that has some basic colors in it and then start building off of those colors.

Let's say this one:

Then start building your wardrobe with basics that work in those colors...

black pant suit that can be worn together or separately...
    Red and white striped shirt, white blouse, yellow blouse
    Tan skirt
    camel cardigan

Then you can start mixing and matching all the pieces and as time and money permit, add along those color lines so everything works together.

Maybe find a print blouse that uses some or all of the same colors...like maybe a black and yellow shirt.

I think the vivienne files does it nicely where she lays out exactly the pieces she pulls together including shoes and accessories.

Or in the other blog, she does a 6 pack wardrobe which is 6 pieces that work together to create the basic bones of a wardrobe.

• no_green_thumb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Annie. I knew it was relatively simple!! I have so many things in my closet that I have never worn - go to a store --- this is really cute! --- bring it home and have nothing to wear with it - but then I keep whatever it is figuring I will eventually get something to "go" with it. Usually doesn't happen.
    So now I need to focus, study the Vivienne files more - and not buy anything that I am not going to wear! I keep going through my closets and pitching stuff - and will do so again when I put summer things away - if I haven't worn it this summer, out it goes. Thanks again.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Well the first place to shop is your closet. It is full of stuff you like...or did at one point. So see if you have a print blouse you might want to build a wardrobe around, or maybe a scarf you already have. Then look at the basics like pants and tops and see what may work. Then you can look at pieces you might want to have that you don't and shop specifically for those items.

You want to keep an eye toward building outfits, not accumulating unrelated pieces.

• no_green_thumb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And that is where I always go wrong - I accumulate unrelated pieces. I need to go through my closets - see what will work to "build around" - what can work by itself, i.e., with jeans or black pants --- and stop buying the unrelated. I have had a plum colored beautiful lace camisole for about 5 years --- never have found the perfect blouse, jacket, whatever to go with it. It is a very odd color, so it sits there!

• ms-thrifty
    10 years ago

Two suggestions-one look at the youlookfab.com site. Look at all the photos-and look at fashion on pinterest. you will see lots of combos of everything..Just browse and check out what you like ad don't like..
    Maybe it is not just the plum color of your camisole, maybe it is the fabric-lace is not easy to work with, but like me, maybe you are attracted to it, and it doesn't fit with your "mostly" style of other stuff..But with all the shear tops around this year you should find something to wear over it. Also plum/magenta etc.are supposed to be big for fall.
    Unlike pulling a room together, in pulling together an outfit, you can have just one piece of a "color" to be a statement piece, or just to add a little bit of a color-

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

I do the same thing -- I find a top that I think I love, buy it, and for any number of reasons I don't ever wear it. Usually it's because it doesn't match with anything else in my closet. Sometimes it's because when I buy it, I'm in an "I'm fabulously stylish and daring" mood, but when it comes time to actually wear the thing in public, I chicken out. Sometime it's because I lose/gain weight.

Just yesterday, I came up with a plan for myself which might work for you. I'm going to go through EVERYTHING in my closet and try it all on. It will be time consuming and probably depressing, but it has to be done. I'll make a few piles: a discard pile, a keep pile, and a "keep but buy something to wear with it" pile. Anything that needs to be altered (I have at least one pair of pants that are too long, I never got around to having them hemmed, and I have pulled them out to wear only to realize...oops...and then, stupidly, I put them back in the closet!) will go to the tailor. Discards will go either to goodwill or to a clothing consignment shop. THEN I'm going to take a day to myself (my birthday just happens to be coming up) and get working on my "to buy" list.

I'm hoping that this exercise will help me avoid the wardrobe paralysis that I have every time I have to wear anything other than typical everyday clothes. Whenever I have a dinner out, a party, wedding, funeral...figuring out what to wear stresses me out.

So that is my fall 2013 resolution!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Great plan, sueb.

You might think about a specific occasion as you are buying or trying on your own clothes to build an outfit. What works for work, for out to dinner, etc.

Also, sometimes dry cleaners are cheaper than tailors if you just need something shortened or a zipper repaired. I do my own mending and added substantially to my wardrobe just by getting through that pile...I had some nice stuff in there I'd forgotten about.

• no_green_thumb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Ms-Thrifty - I have been looking at youlookfab.
    Sueb - we must have been sisters in another life - that is exactly what I do, buy something fab, then have nothing to go with it. And then, I am reluctant to get rid of it. I figure that I have paid a good amount of money - and someday it will come back in style - or fit.
    I am paralyzed right now. Having lost some weight (just enough so pants are one size too big) - I have tried on my fall/winter pants and while they don't fit - and I don't plan to grow back into them - still I have not put them in the donate bag. Or things I have knit that I don't wear - or purses. And then they just sit. Or things my DIL bought for me - things I probably should have taken back when they had the tags still on!
    I think your idea of actually trying things on is a great one. I go through my closet, keep things which really are not my style anymore. I need to purge out everything I am not wearing or plan to wear. Then take a shopping day. I wish it were as easy as going to one store and putting things together. It seems like I could try on 10 pairs of pants before finding one to fit!! Men have it soooo easy, don't they???

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I'm bigger on the bottom than on the top, so I buy bottoms in neutral solid colors...pants in black, khaki, navy, brown, gray. Then I look for tops in colors and prints or with embellishments to keep the attention up toward my face. This way, as the bottoms are neutral, the tops pretty much work with them.

• no_green_thumb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annie - I will always think that I am bigger on the bottom!!
    Since I have no fall/winter pants that fit, I think I will start with one pair of basic black and maybe a pair of khaki or brown. I need to lose about 13 - 15 more pounds and that will take me down another size. I also want to be careful about tops, because that could make a difference. I think shopping my closet and trying everything on and getting rid of what I don't wear will be a great start!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

I find it easiest to stick to colors I know I look good in ( No going off on a limb) and buying an entire outfit at one time.
    Overall, over time, by buying colors that flatter you, eventually it all works. I dropped 2-4 sizes two years ago and have had to replace almost my entire wardrobe.
    Buying too much at one time is overwhelming, but buying one outfit is not.
    Matchy matchy is way out, btw! I love Boden if for nothing less than to window shop at the way the items are combined.
    Combinations that wouldn't naturally occur to me.

Also, I shop sales at the local dept. store and will buy things that are great deals even if I don't have something to wear with it. I know eventually I will. $90 shirt on sale for $10, looks Fabulous on me, what's to lose? I have bought many things like that before and waited a year to find the right pieces to go with them. It's all serendipitous.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

What I am doing differently is ordering more clothing online from Loft or Ann Taylor. I am notified of their sales which go on all the time.

I am a petite size and the selection is very slim in the stores. I never wanted to order online but started to as a past time when home after surgery. After a while, you get a feel for what will fit. I don't mind returning anything that doesn't fit to the store, as that's my excuse to see what is in the store.

I like to buy in multiples. If you find a great pair of jeans, go back and get two more. My philosophy: One on, one in the wash and one in your closet!
    I also get tops in different colors, again if it looks great and is comfortable.
    I am also try to wear everything in my closet. I work a very casual part-time job, but it doesn't hurt to get a bit more dressed up once in a while. Same when going out for a casual dinner with DH.
    If you are starting from scratch I would get: a pair of dark rinse jeans, a pair of khaki straight leg slacks, a pair of black slacks. (flare bottoms too, see what looks good on you.)

T shirts, blouses and sweaters. Cardigans sets are great.
    You have to try everything and see what looks good.
    This year I purchased more tops than t shirts. They cover your waist better.

You can post your choices here and we can all have fun giving you our opinions!

• luckygal
    10 years ago

" I find a top that I think I love, buy it, and for any number of reasons I don't ever wear it. Usually it's because it doesn't match with anything else in my closet. Sometimes it's because when I buy it, I'm in an "I'm fabulously stylish and daring" mood, but when it comes time to actually wear the thing in public, I chicken out. "

I can relate to that altho am now at the age where I have the courage to wear the "fabulously daring" items I love. Since I read about Iris Apfel I made the decision I will wear whatever I like regardless of what others think. Fashion can be so much fun that it's too bad if we miss that by being concerned about what more conservative people think. I don't think I'll ever wear bracelets wrist to elbow like Iris does but I do applaud her courage and style! Since dressing in a more boho and funky style I have received many compliments (usually by younger women) on some of my more daring styles.

About putting a wardrobe together - even tho I am now buying, wearing, and enjoying unusual styles I still have the basics on which to build. I lost more than 50 pounds over about 6 years so had to buy new clothes many times. I found that having 3 pair of pants, one skirt, and a few tops were enough to ensure I always had something to wear. As I was losing weight and determined to lose more I was reluctant to spend much on clothes that wouldn't fit me for long. I found some generic black pants at Walmart for $10. which were very useful and worked with many things. Elastic waistlines were a must then.

Later I found Simon Chang 'jeans' which are somewhat dressy jeans which fit me well and can be dressed up or down. Because I live in a rural area near a very small town I wear them with t-shirts when grocery shopping but also wear them with dressier tops for dinner in the city. I have sizes ranging from 12 down to 6 and need to give away the larger sizes as I don't plan to ever fit them again.

My wardrobe now consists of pants in many colors, most of them neutrals (white, black, stone, beige, taupe, brown), as well as a few neutral colors, slim pants and tights to wear with tunics, dressier pants, skirts of various styles (most of which are black), and jackets, cardies, and sweaters in mostly neutral colors. I 'collect' tops but edit every year and either give away or relegate them to gardening attire. While I have some neutral tops I prefer colorful, patterned, or unusual ones to wear with the basic bottoms. I have a few casual dresses for summer. Also a few really dressy tops/jackets I wear only a few times a year but which I'll probably keep for a very long time as the styles are a bit over-the-top. I know I'll be comfortable wearing them into the future. Now that I've let go of preconceptions of what my style 'should be' I can buy things I like and know I will wear them.

Because I now have the basics which should last me for many years I don't really 'need' anything so can shop around and find new additions on sale. Many of my basics were also on sale. One store has the SC jeans on BOGO (buy one and get the second at half price) a couple times a year so that's when I buy them.

Now I mostly shop for jewelry and scarves. I find they are so useful in varying the look of the outfits. I've also bought remnant fabric pieces and serged the edges for totally unique scarves.

Even tho I've lost a lot of weight I'm still larger on the bottom than on the top.

I wish you great success with attaining the weight you aspire to and have fun putting your wardrobe together!

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

I second the idea of buying something you love in multiples. I have a pair of J. Jill linen pants from 3 years ago that are the Perfect Pants for me. Once I realized that, I tried to buy more but they were out of stock. I'm still sad about it. I treat my own pair of those Perfect Pants as if they were diamond encrusted because I never want anything to happen to them!

The only pair of jeans fits me right is Lucky Brand Easy Riders. I still have to get the waist taken in (my waist is maybe a size 8-10 and my butt is a size 12) but they're the only jeans that my thunder thighs are comfortable in. I have probably 7 pairs of these jeans! Time for a couple new pairs because they're all starting to fade too much. (Can you dye jeans back to a dark denim color?) I'm sure everyone I know thinks I wear the same pair of jeans every day. They're my uniform.

I also like Gap perfect trousers (I am pretty sure that's their real name, not my made-up name). I smartened up and bought 3 pairs of those.

• User
    10 years ago

I could probably exist in a wardrobe of all black, or all brown, or all navy---- as long as I could keep my scarves and jewelry and cute shoes. That tells me a lot about my preferences. I have only ONE piece of patterned clothing in my closet--- a RL boat neck cotton top in navy with thin white stripes (ahoy!) --- and that's it. I wear strictly solid colors and vary the look with scarves, jewelry, and cardigans, blazers or other jackets. And cute shoes :-)

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

When I get a hole in my yoga pants, they go into the "paint clothes" drawer then I buy another pair for my "everyday" drawer.

;-)

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

I agree with Bumblebeez. Don't buy anything because you like how it looks; buy things because how they make YOU look. I have learned to not buy colors that overpower my own, as thy washout my complexion. I look great in black and terrible in navy. Great in pink and terrible in red.

I also never buy something I don't already have shoes that will go with it. I have a hard foot to fit well and insist on shoes that fit. So if I can't find shoes I cant wear the outfit

I also tend to buy at the beginning of the season. That is when the selection is best. There are always sales, especially if you get on email lists.

Waiting until the end of season clearance is a big mistake generally. These are the thing that don't fit well, don't go with anything, and the season is over so you are paying now and not wearing for 8 months. Not to say that from time to time you dont find something great at a deal. But better to have fewer things that are exactly what you want, in my experience.

• no_green_thumb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to all of you once again for your thoughtful (and thought-provoking) replies. I was reluctant to post originally, thinking my question was pretty stupid - so I appreciate all of the replies.
    As I have been thinking more, first I need to go through and try on everything. When I go through my clothes, I seem to just get rid of what I know I don't want. Trying it on will be the determining factor. I agree about multiples, especially pants. They are so hard to fit -
    I think I can get by for one more month with my summer pants. I have one pair of black for fall/winter I think I can alter for temporary use. I have another pair of dark wool that may be serviceable for bit. At this point I need to see what I have and what my immediate needs are - and make a list!!
    Julie, I so agree with buying at the end of the season. I do that - get some super deals, but then never wear it. The reason it is on sale is because they couldn't get rid of it during the season!!
    This morning time is not permitting me to comment on each of your responses, but please know that I appreciate and am pondering each and every one.
    Happy Sunday to all!! Hope it is sunny wherever you are!!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

No such thing as a dumb question, though I have heard lots of dumb answers!

• luckygal
    10 years ago

"Posted by kellyeng (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 18:32

When I get a hole in my yoga pants, they go into the "paint clothes" drawer then I buy another pair for my "everyday" drawer.

;-):

While I don't have holes in any of my yoga pants some are looking pretty faded and old so I need to make the decision tomorrow which is the worst which will become my painting pants. I have an outdoor painting project to do so the worst ones will become painting pants and the others either kept or given away after I buy some new ones. I often buy them at Costco as they have the best prices and I'll be going there next month.

I remember a couple of years ago after losing a lot of weight I was dismayed to find I had no grotty old pants to wear for painting projects. I had given away everything that was too large.

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

Excellent ideas above for making decisions on what to keep; one thing I did a few years ago when I was faced with deciding what to keep, if an outfit or piece was to be kept, I actually wore it out at least once in order to be really sure if I wanted to keep it, looking at myself in store windows , etc… it helped me evaluate how well it fit or if I was comfortable in it, specially when it was an expensive piece I had a hard time parting with.

For a few pieces, it meant putting them in the "discard" pile : if I hadn't actually worn them to go out, they would have stayed in the "keep" pile forever.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I have 2 major frustrations with wardrobing.

One is, I did go through my entire closet, tried everything on, tossed and donated and mended to get it up to snuff. Then, of course, I added a whole pile of stuff for my vacation wardrobe, so now it should be great, right?

Well not really. When I was going out to dinner with friends the other night, I tried this top on, but it wasn't quite comfortable...this other top kept slipping so my bra showed...this other top wasn't that flattering...etc. So rather than just right then and there biting the bullet and putting them in the appropriate pile to be dealt with, back on the hanger they went and they'll be there until the next event where I'll go through the entire process again. Why, because like that other shirt that didn't look so hot on me before, the last time I put it on with the new bra, it looked good. Go figure.

The other frustration is, now that I'm retired, there's a thin line between nice casual and every day casual with potentially some cross over. Every time I get a nice casual shirt on that works well for me, if it's a light color, I seem to wear it, try to be neat, but get some kind of spot or other on it that I can't get out and then it goes into the every day pile, which then gets huge; the nice casual pile starts to dwindle. And of course, it happens to my favorite stuff as those are the go to pieces I wear most often. Frustrating.

• no_green_thumb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annie, I hear you loud and clear!! That is what I am going to start working hard on.
    But then ---- I threw on a pink jacket over black pants and cami yesterday for church. I haven't worn said jacket in a while --- the lady on the other side of the lunch meat counter at the grocery commented on how pretty it was and how the color looked so good on me. Go figure!
    I, too, keep "every day" type clothes, which I am going to get rid of. "This top is perfectly good, a little faded, a little pilled, but it's still good". I find that I just don't feel as good when I have not so nice clothes on. I work mostly from home and just do not accomplish as much when I am sitting at my desk in a bathrobe as I do when I am dressed.
    Slowly, I am purging and then will very s-l-o-w-l-y start adding to my wardrobe.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

I am not one of those who can build a wardrobe around a few basic colors. I like variety and I like many different colors! What works for me is basic bottoms - I have many pairs/styles of black pants. I will wear brown on bottom only - never near my face, khaki, lighter tan color, jeans, some prints for summer bottoms, etc. I do not care for many printed pants. I do have a few more for warm weather - prints, etc. but for colder weather only a couple of pinstripe, a pair of houndstooth, etc. But when it comes to tops - I throw caution to the wind! I love bright colors and look best in those or the pastel versions of the same colors. Pink and turquoise are my favorite colors. I also do a bunch of tanks/camisoles/tees and then add jackets, cardigans, shirts mostly in prints, but some solids also. I do not do "suits" but love jackets - more casual style and trendy. Love cardigans and have them in many colors and prints. Long and 3/4 sleeve lengths. I am known for my funky necklaces and have quite a collection. I also wear a lot of scarves in cooler weather. One color I rarely wear is navy - for some reason to me it seems "old lady". I don't know that I have ever owned a pair of navy shoes other than I once had a pair of strappy, heeled sandals. Same with tan. I will wear khacki, stone, etc. but there is a shade of tan that I stay away from. I think it reminds me of business type suits I have seen older ladies wear.

tina

• hhireno
    10 years ago

I just found this style blog that has real potential to be helpful.
    Inside Out Style

There are tips on body shape and proportion, colors, etc. If you sign up for the newsletter you can download a book of 5 steps for picking a wardrobe.

I'm not affiliated with it and have only spent about an hour reviewing it but it seems like it will be interesting and helpful.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

I don't think all wardrobe pieces have to coordinate. Unless you have very limited space, outfits that stand alone add variety.
    Sometimes in magazines (the old days anyway) they would have a feature on how to make 6 clothing pieces into 21 different outfits or some other such nonsense. It all has the same look to me. Like tina, I need LOTS of variety.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Well a wardrobe need not use a handful of basic colors. But, if the question is, how do you start, then that is the way to start. If you have limited funds and time and need to put a wardrobe together, it is the fastest way to get maximum outfits out of minimum pieces. But certainly one can add variation and variety to build it out to a complete wardrobe that best meets one's needs.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Personally I don't deviate from certain colors~everything is color co-ordinated in my closet. Gray, ivory/cream, white, tan/beige, black, brow, olive, and turquoise or pink pastels. All these colors work together beautifully! If you get too many colors, it can get too confusing, and make it more difficult in putting an outfit together.

• legomom23
    10 years ago

I always learn so much on this forum.

I realized a few months ago I never have the right thing to wear to where I need to go! I have been consciously trying to fix that.

I think for me wardrobe capsules are a great idea. I know I do better when I buy an entire outfit and not orphan pieces. My other problem is I do not like to accessorize. Not a fan of jewelry every day. In winter I do like scarves, but I'm not sure they are the best look for me and my double chin. I have to pick wisely. That can lead to looking very boring. I might have to start carrying a purse for some interest.

Thanks for posting all this info. It has been really helpful to me! Both blogs mentioned are great and I did get the free e-book from inside out style. No annoying emails yet either.

• luckygal
    10 years ago

While I never hesitate to buy stand-alone outfits what I've found is that I've never had one where part of that outfit could not be mixed with other neutral items I have. So IMO there really is nothing I've ever found that is truly 'stand-alone'. I like brands with several items in coordinating colors/patterns such as a top, pants, and scarf. It's a very complete stand-alone but each item can work with other things as well. It's why having as many neutral colors in pants as possible can work so well. Starting out 3 would work very well to mix with many colors.

• no_green_thumb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

All of your comments have greatly helped me. I have been weeding out my closets. I have been trying every item on. In fact, the purple cami I had nothing to wear with -- I decided I don't even like it!!!! It is not a flattering shade of purple for me. So after hanging in my closet for a very long time, it went into the discard bag. I am still not done, but I had my husband take all the discards I have to a place I donate my clothes before I have a chance to change my mind.
    Also, between appointments the other day, I stopped at Burlington and T.J. Maxx must to browse for s few minutes. While I am sure there are some great deals there and I may be able to pick up a few things, for the most part, these are items that didn't sell in stores so they are now at an outlet. I think I will do better buying at the beginning of the fall season at other stores. Thanks again for all of the insights. Thus has helped me so much.

• no_green_thumb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

duplicate post - sorry

This post was edited by no-green-thumb on Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 8:58

• no_green_thumb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

sorry for the duplicate - my tablet kept rejecting - come to my desktop and I have 3!!

This post was edited by no-green-thumb on Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 8:57

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

I started my own closet try-on/purge today. In the process, I discovered some things, some of which I kinda already knew but chose to ignore. Some fun facts (for me, my body type, style, etc. -- I hope not to offend anyone or sound as though I'm trying to establish rules for anyone else!):

Eileen Fisher clothes are worth the investment and make me feel good.

Same for Boden, at least sometimes.

Almost all of the J. Jill clothes in my closet make me feel matronly.

Tops/tunics that hit at mid-thigh are terribly unflattering on me.

If a top has a neckline that makes me uncomfortable (too low or too high), no matter how much I like it on the hanger, I'll never wear it.

I found two tops I bought at Target and never wore. Thinking they'd be going to the discard pile, I tried them on and voila, I looked fabulous in them!

I don't look good in crew necks or turtlenecks.

The Eileen Fisher pants that I splurged on after much ado last year are so wonderful, I've decided to buy another pair.

After going through about half my clothes, I have about 10 things for goodwill and 10 things for the consignment shop. I also have three tops that I'm going to have hemmed (I take pants to be hemmed all the time, had a lightbulb moment when I realized I can do the same with shirts!).
    Even the simple act of trying things on gave me a few new outfit/combo ideas, as well as the beginning of a list of things I need.

Next week I'll tackle the rest of the closet and my shoes!

Thanks for the inspiration!

• no_green_thumb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Keep going, Sue. I just donated my clothes. I had thought of a consignment shop as many of my discards were practically new. I wanted them out of here before I change my mind.
    What I do have now - - a LOT of hangers!!
    I still have a ways to go. I have decided it will be cheaper in the long run if I just buy better stuff in the first place. I threw away a top I bought with Kohl's cash. I never wore it. It was Chaps - so one of their better brands - but I bought it just to buy something before the cash expired. This time when I had Kohl's cash I bought dish towels!
    Shoes --- I have purged many pairs. I had a pair of Borne sandals, paid a lot of money, wore them a few times. They weren't uncomfortable, but were really heavy. I always felt like I had lead on my feet - but couldn't get rid of them because they were pricey. And purses! Many are gone.
    Trying stuff on was the best thing I did. I need to go through another time and see what I have left. We are almost between seasons here, so it is a little harder. I do need to get some pants as I have two pairs of fall pants left - one of which I hope I can alter to be able to wear for a while.
    At this point, I would rather have just a few things in my closet than have this huge amount and not be able to find anything to wear.

• texanjana
    10 years ago

This thread has also inspired me to weed through my closet this weekend. I am going to try every single thing on and if I don't like it, it's going to Goodwill.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

What is interesting is how something simple like a t-shirt can look dated. Some years they are shorter than others, or more form fitting or more boxy.

The best is when you get good quality but on sale. For pants though, I will pay any price if I stumble upon something that fits really well.

I wear Gap jeans and Loft jeans. At Gap most often you get a survey with your purchase. When you complete the survey you get 20 percent off a regular price item.

Sue, I agree with you about JJill. There was a while when I had a few sweaters, but lately it is all awful.

• ms-thrifty
    10 years ago

My biggest mistakes are when I am going to a special function, and have nothing to wear,,then I buy something for that event, and wear it only once-these things I get in sort of desperation. Am working on eliminating that and those kind of purchases.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I think I've mentioned it before, but just in case, they say one way to work your wardrobe is to hang stuff with the hangers reversed. Once you wear it, put the hanger the other way. They say you'll find that you wear the same 10-20% of your clothes over and over and the rest just sit there.

I've never been able to follow that rule of thumb that if you haven't worn it in a year, get rid of it. That to me is a function thing, and there are times when, as ms-thrifty suggests, that you need something special...and that one thing may be it, even if you haven't worn it in over a year. I mean, you just never know....

• ellendi
    10 years ago

I agree, a year is way too short a time to dismiss something. My personal feeling is 3 years. If something is sitting for 3 years, and I am talking about regular clothing, not formal wear, then it is time to evaluate.

Usually there is a reason why is was not worn. When I put it on and am totally honest with myself, I am able to give it away.

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

Ms-thrifty

Good insight on the special event clothing. I read this in a recent better homes and garden issue, and applied it.

I have started to consciously tried to steer into special clothes that can transition down to dressy casual. And then add accessories that can work with other outfits to bring UP casual to be dressy casual.

Example is my niece is getting married tonight.

I bought a solid color sheath dress that goes to the knee, and a chunky colored crystal necklace.

I can wear them together tonight with heels for the evening wedding.

To bring the dress down to dressy casual:
    I can wear the dress with silver jewelry and sandles.
    I can add a denim jacket and flats for fall.
    I can wear the dress with black tights, boots, and a cardigan for a winter.

I can wear the crystal necklace with a white T shirt and dark rinse jeans for dressy casual.
    I can do the same with a turtleneck and boots for fall/winter.

So I think what I figured out with this is you need to be selective in choosing the dress so it can work up or down. And be willing to also buy that accessory to bring it up to the full dressiness of the more formal occasion.

• no_green_thumb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Julie,
    That sounds wonderful -- and something I wish I could do. I just have no vision for putting things together that can be used elsewhere. I am hoping I will be enlightened more -- especially since I have whittled out my closet so much. Enjoy the wedding!!
    Do you have a pic of the dress??

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Souns like a great plan Julie.

My problem (one of many, I'm sure) is that I've collected jewelry the way I've collected clothes...not with outfits in mind, but because I like it or its on sale. Then I have even more of my mothers. The problem is, it's very difficult for me to justify buying more when I have so much...and I never get rid of it as, you never know when it will come back in style. But when I go to put an outfit together, I'm stuck. I have a lot of good jewelry, but it's small so it doesn't work with the large casual look now, so that too sits.

Another bunch of it was great for work wear, but too staid for my dressy casual needs now that I'm retired.

As tough as it is to do the whole try each piece on and make a decision, I find it impossible with jewelry as, on top of everything else, it all always fits!

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

Here is the dress. I bought during the pre-season sale, so extra bonus!

Here is a link that might be useful: sheath dress

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

This isn't the exact necklace I bought.
    Mine has 3 different color blue crystal stones, and more silver between the stones. But this is the general idea.

Here is a link that might be useful: similar necklace

• no_green_thumb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Beautiful, Julie. Hope you had a great time at the wedding. This is what I am striving for - something I can wear more than once with other things.

• ms-thrifty
    10 years ago

Thanks Julie--I have just gone thru my closet dressy clothes section-pulled out two dressy jackets, are from the evening wear, dressy section at Stein Mart-one is silver and gold and the other is a tapestry print, sort of satiny, with bits of cut velvet like--and I already have a purple dress (my version of the little black dress-that I bought recently when I decided I was tired of the "little black dress". Guess what , silvery gold jacket will work with the dress, and the jacket works well with a plain black pencil skirt and a black maxi skirt. The other dressy jacket can go with almost everything else black-maybe except black jeans, so I am starting to mix and match the dressy pieces with others to make dressy outfits, and some of the same for more business like dressing. Now I can play around with what to wear under the jackets for the special occasions and not have to purchase any more things like long crepe skirts, or dressy dresses that don't get worn more than once. This still leaves the sequin tops, and such, so maybe in the future I will get rid of them If I don't wear them, and not buy any more of such things.

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

Annie,
    I really had to force myself to buy that necklace. It is not in my nature to buy a necklace just to go with a dress.

And I think I spent $80 on the dress, and $40-50 on the necklace!

But I have already worn the necklace to work, so I will probably get good use from it after all.

I work in commercial sales in a distributing warehouse, so my work attire is primarily Lands End or Dockers type of clothing. So I discovered that the crystal necklace nicely adds some feminine charm to an Oxford shirt.