Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pammyfay

The funniest movies you've ever seen?

pammyfay
14 years ago

Share, pls!

I really, really, really need some nearly-p-in-your-pants laughs!

Comments (63)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is one of favorite funny movies.

Others I like too:
    Never Been Kissed
    The Royal Tennenbaums
    School of Rock
    Napolean Dynomite
    Down With Love
    Meet The Fockers
    Talladega Nights

Very Funny but subtler:
    What Women Want
    Gosford Park
    The Parent Trap original

• Sueb20
    14 years ago

Weekend at Bernie's
    Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
    Big
    The Money Pit
    The Hangover (newer movie)
    The Vacation movies with Chevy Chase

The one with Jack Black 1-2 years ago with the video store...can't remember the name of it now.

• prairiefox
    14 years ago

Waking Ned Devine
    Little Miss Sunshine
    Ghost Town

• graywings123
    14 years ago

Four Weddings and a Funeral is still my all time fav funny movie.

• teacats
    14 years ago

Yes. Another great one mentioned above!

"Waking Ned Devine" -- devilishly clever. wicked good.

"The Thin Man" series -- Comic Geniuses in the Casting.

Here is a link that might be useful: You Tube -- great lines from Thin Man

• pam14
    14 years ago

Another vote for "Men in Black"

"A Fish Called Wanda" - either you love it or hate it - it's the only movie I've ever seen multiple times in a movie theater.

• teacats
    14 years ago

Here's another collection of classic Nick & Nora moments!

Here is a link that might be useful: Thin Man -- drinking moments

• golddust
    14 years ago

There's something about Mary

My Big Fat Greek Wedding

Monty Python

Borat - really off color alert but hysterical. (Search on youtube to see if this is up your alley)

• yborgal
    14 years ago

The Birdcage
    A Fish Called Wanda

• funkyart
    14 years ago

Another vote for waking ned devine!

• jay06
    14 years ago

Sable--Thanks for reminding me about "The Russians are Coming!" Remember the Russian trying to sound American? "E-germency, e-germency. Everybody to get out of the house.", or something like that. Another corny but funny '60s comedy was "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World". Lots of great old comics in that one.

I liked Woody Allen's "Bananas" and "Sleeper". I also laugh a lot at "Analyze This" with Billy Crystal and Robert DeNiro. I'm not a big Ben Stiller fan, but like "Meet the Parents" and "Meet the Fockers".

I don't classify it as a laugh-out-loud comedy, but I loved "Napoleon Dynamite".

• lynninnewmexico
    14 years ago

You all have named so many great ones that I, too, am crazy about! But I don't think anyone so far has named one of my all-time favs:

"Finding Nemo" . Ellen DeGeneres, as Dory, totally made that movie the hit it was. And, Albert Brooks was perfect as Nemo's worry wort dad, Marlin.

• lowspark
    14 years ago

I agree with some of the above, others not so much. But I just watched a hilarious movie a couple of days ago that I thought I'd mention.

It's French with subtitles but you know, there are some really good foreign films out there so if that sort of thing bothers you, you do miss out on some good stuff!

The Dinner Game (Le der de cons is the French title, literally translated, it means The dinner of idiots). This movie had me laughing out loud for the entire time. My husband who is an action adventure flick kind of guy and doesn't generally get into comedy also loved it.

• imsoconfused
    14 years ago

"The Great Outdoors" another JOhn Candy movie....about camping with family...lol.." oh yeah, well go find yourself another SPIN cycle!" lol ya gotta see this one!

• sable_ca
    14 years ago

Jboling - I love that line! The little kid looks at them and runs off yelling "Ma!" The one that always puts DH on the floor is "Mabel - whatcha doin' hangin' on the wall?"

• THOR, Son of ODIN
    14 years ago

Moonstruck (1987). For the ending:

-Lena

• parma42
    14 years ago

Lowspark, I've seen The Dinner Game. DH isn't too thrilled when I make him watch subtitles, but even he loved the movie.

Mira Sorvino was hysterical in Woody Allen's "Mighty Aphrodite".

Here is a link that might be useful: Mighty Aphrodite

• teacats
    14 years ago

Yes -- another vote for the wonderful movie "Moonstruck" -- honestly that final scene in the kitchen is priceless!! :)

Jan

• littledog
    14 years ago

A shot list from the uncultured, irreverent side of the aisle;

Happy, Texas
    The Addams Family
    Superstar
    Best In Show
    Mr & Mrs Smith
    The Gods Must Be Crazy
    The Incredibles

• parma42
    14 years ago

Another foreign film, this is a movie that made me laugh more than anything I've ever seen before or after. It's an Italian film starring Roberto Benigni named "Johnny Stecchino". It translates to "Johnny Toothpick" in English.

It's a story about mistaken identities and is fall on the floor funny. If you ever notice this coming up on cable, it's a must see!

Here is a link that might be useful: Johnny Toothpick

• THOR, Son of ODIN
    14 years ago

Thanks for this thread, I've enjoyed reading everyone's suggestions.

I don't mean to hijack, but does anyone have recommendations for merely amusing movies? (a lower bar, perhaps?)

I'd recommend (in random order):

Wallace and Gromit (any)
    This is Spinal Tap
    Harold and Maude (great soundtrack, btw)
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
    Forrest Gump

-Lena

• deniseandspike
    14 years ago

American Pie
    The Full Monty
    Shrek
    Bolt

• teacats
    14 years ago

A difficult movie to find -- BUT one of the funniest!

This book was written by Robert Louis Stevenson -- yes -- THAT one -- the author of Treasure Island!!

It is the story of a Tontine -- and the resulting antics amongst family members to ensure winning the final (and total) amount. Takes place in Victorian England.

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

Here is a link that might be useful: IMDB

• cat_tail
    14 years ago

I completely agree with lowspark- The Dinner Game is fabulous, and I really think it is the funniest movie I have ever seen. It's an absolute gem.

• johnmari
    14 years ago

The absolute best part of "The Incredibles" isn't even in the movie - it's in the DVD extras. It's the animated short movie "Jack-Jack Attack", about the baby and the babysitter. It's on YouTube although the sound quality isn't so great. I sheepishly admit that I DID have a minor accident watching that the first time I saw it... but we've borrowed the DVD from a friend a few times JUST to watch that little 5 minute bit more than once. Except for "Wall-E" (which was incredibly heavy-handed - sledgehammer, anyone? - on the "message" aspect) and "Up" (which I haven't seen because I don't go to theaters) I've enjoyed most of Pixar's movies although they're not necessarily "ROTFL" ones.

I too enjoyed "Mr. & Mrs. Smith" - especially the scene where they do the inadvertent kitchen remodel. *chuckle*

I just do NOT understand what is supposed to be so funny about "Napoleon Dynamite". I have tried several times to watch it but I just get bored and want to whap that fuzzyheaded mouthbreather upside the head with a baseball bat.

• anele_gw
    14 years ago

What a fun thread!

I love all of the mockumentary movies (as someone mentioned . . .Best in Show is great!).

I can't even believe what had me laughing out loud almost the whole time, since this usually is not my humor:

Old School

I don't know WHY I thought this was so funny, and one part was slightly gross (which I didn't laugh about!) but it kept me laughing.

I'll have to keep thinking of others and get ideas from this thread for more movies. I love comedies!

Here is a link that might be useful: Old School

• OllieJane
    14 years ago

Best in Show is hilarious to me!

I also thought Dan in Real life was funny. I love the part when he is in the bar and starts dancing.

I have never laughed out loud so hard in a movie theater than I did when we saw The Hangover. Pretty raunchy, but so stupid it was funny. Although, I can't believe I saw some teenagers there with their parents. I plan on being pretty open with my little one, but, would have been embarrased to see that movie with my teenage son or daughter.

• pammyfay
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Great lists, everyone!
    It's funny: Many of these movies--Greek Wedding, Princess Bride, Shrek, Moonstruck, so many others--I will watch over and over again whenever I come across them while channel-surfing.

Lowspark: "Dinner Game" sounds good--I will look for that later today.

• User
    14 years ago

Since JohnMarie mentioned Pixar films...I like Jack Jack Attack but my favorite is Partly Cloudy. It's at the beginning of the new UP movie. DH and I didn't care for UP but we about fell on the floor laughing at the short film. Liked it so much I went home and downloaded it on I Tunes and when my family and friends came over we had them watch it. lol I think I was laughing more at DH laughing but it still was pretty cute. However, the people in front of us didn't laugh at all. I found this very odd!

• graywings123
    14 years ago

Oh, yes, Best in Show. Snortingly funny!

• marybeth1
    14 years ago

Meet the Parents
    I love when Robert Dinero does comedy."It just a game Falkner!

• texanjana
    14 years ago

Office Space
    Dodgeball
    Anchorman
    Best in Show

Great thread!

• midwestmom
    14 years ago

There's Something About Mary
    Dumb & Dumber
    American Pie

• CaroleOH
    14 years ago

Some others:
    Wedding Crashers - Love this movie. "Hey Ma! How about some meatloaf!"
    Zoolander, Heaveyweights & Dodgeball - Have to like Ben Stiller
    Animal House & Old School - Stupid college humor
    Dumb and Dumber - The first movie, not the second. I watched this one with my kids and resisted for awhile but was quickly LMAO. I especially love the fight scene with the karate master.

• nicoletouk
    14 years ago

Yes - The Dinner Game! I was planning on adding that suggestion when I started reading this thread. I'm surprised that so many others have seen it.

Funniest movie I've ever seen. I actually fell off the couch because I was laughing so hard.

Nicole

PS - Check to see if you can rent it at Blockbuster - that is where we found it.

• IdaClaire
    14 years ago

Oh, so many!

Monty Python & The Holy Grail
    Vacation
    Office Space
    Napoleon Dynamite

Recently saw I Love You, Man and L'd MAO over that one as well!

• susieq07
    14 years ago

Funniest movie, we've ever seen, was "Taxi" with Queen Latifa, we laughed for days at that one...

• sheconquers
    14 years ago

Galaxy Quest
    Oscar - with Sylvester Stallone. The critics hated it, but we loved it at our house.
    Johnny Dangerously
    Office Space
    The Princess Bride
    Any Wallace and Gromet, especially the shorter films, and Shaun the Sheep, which is made by the same company
    The Incredibles

• oceanna
    14 years ago

Littledog got mine. I don't know if it was the funniest, but I did LOL and it was heartwarming and wonderful...

The Gods Must Be Crazy

• polly929
    14 years ago

Anele...... I second Old School. We're going streaking in the quads !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    OMG I LMAO'ed watching that! And everytime I hear dust in the wind, I just can't stop myself from laughing.

Knocked Up and Forgetting Sarah Marshall, both really funny.

I was 37 weeks pregnant when I first saw Elf in the movie theatre and I nearly went into labor.

The Christmas Story
    Finding Nemo
    Wedding Crashers
    Meet the Parents
    Meet the Fockers
    Analyze this/that

The Hangover- omg I almost peed my pants in the theatre

• IdaClaire
    14 years ago

"Meet the Parents" is hilarious! I watched it for the umpteenth time about a week ago, and laughed myself silly all over again.

• dixiedo
    14 years ago

I don't want to rename some of the ones already mentioned, but a few of us have the same tastes =)

I totally dig:

So I Married an Axe Murderer
    Just Friends
    Meet the Parents
    If Lucy Fell
    She's the One

• Faron79
    14 years ago

Did anyone mention Dudley Moore in "10"?!?!?
    (besides my first GF Bo Derrik...;-))

G(D that was funny!
    When he's mumbling with his mouth packed full after the dentist...
    The "I'll alert the media" comment from the butler, when he's gonna take a bath...

The "Airplane" series...
    Johnny saying, "WHERE did you get those shoes...and that dresss, Ohhh!" to the distraught woman.

Zoolander, Dodgeball...good stuff!
    "Oh my god, they're Break-dance fighting!"

The Money Pit...
    When Tom Hanks is "caught" in the ceiling?!?!?
    (I think I almost "went" when that scene happened!)

Beverly Hills Cop I was pretty damn funny too.

Faron

• anele_gw
    14 years ago

polly-- Hahahaha!

Some of you mentioned Office Space . . .how could I forget? I rarely choose to watch a movie more than maybe 2X, and I have watched that many, many, many times! I have barely worked in an office yet I find it hilarious!

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

Wedding Crashers
    Young Frankenstein
    Meet the Fockers

I saw In Glorious Bastards yesterday, you won't wet your pants, but it has it's moments. But they are far and in between. Brad Pitt was pretty good in the movie.

• dixiedo
    14 years ago

Aunt Jen,
    DH and I just watched I Love You Man last night and I laughed my arse off! We are finally hoping to catch the Hangover this weekend....

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

To Spinal Tap and Best in Show (which is Hilarious), I'd want to add Waiting for Guffman. Esp. if you have any theater experience. A Mighty Wind, on the other hand, made me laugh *and* cry.

• amysrq
    14 years ago

Best In Show is very funny, I agree.

My go-to giggler is The Big Lebowski. I guess I am outing myself for having a juvenile sense of humour....odd that no one else has mentioned it yet. I think it is a love-it-or-hate-it kind of movie though. The Coens do tend to polarize viewers.

• rilie
    14 years ago

I love Steve Carell, and could watch The 40 Year Old Virgin over and over again just for the chest waxing scene.... it always makes me laugh.

• anele_gw
    14 years ago

flyleft, the only mockumentary I didn't like was the last one that group did . . .I can barely remember it. DH and I turned it off/fell asleep it was so done. Loved the others!!!!!!