Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hhireno

August Healthy Check-in

hhireno
10 years ago

It's August 1st and time to reassess your health and fitness.

From More magazine:
The average French woman stands 5 foot 3 and weighs 139.
The average American is the same height but 27 pounds heavier.

The French consume 38% of total calories in fat, Americans 34%

They spend more time on meals each day 135 minutes vs 74 minutes but eat less often 3.9 times vs 5.5. This suggests they enjoy longer meals and are less likely to snack.

Americans consume 8x as many crackers, 6x as much cereal, 5x as many sandwiches, 3x as much nuts, 2x as much packages food.

The French eat 7x as much pate, 6x as much cheese, 5x as much added fat, 4x as much pastry, 3x as much meat, and 3x as many vegetables.

Total individual alcohol consumption is similar but French drink much more wine per capita (45.7 liters) vs (9.42).

Within a 2- day period the French consume 16.8 different food products, while Americans eat 13.6. The difference is explained that the French prefer to have a little bit of everything at all meals.

The American diet-exercise regime : eat lots of takeout, processed and fast food, go to restaurants often, consume most calories at dinner, and exercise strenuously, usually at a gym, most days of the week.

The French regime: cook most of your meals, including substantial breakfasts and lunches, focus on high-quality, minimally processed foods, sit down for meals, preferably with family, eat slowly, exercise mainly by walking around doing errands.

I live more like the French in many of theses things although it looks like I need to up my pastry intake. Yay! My pate intake is non-existent but I don't plan to change it. Pastry, yes; pate, no.

Other than how you compare to the average French woman, how's your life going? I know we have a few weddings coming up this month, I hope we get to see a picture or two.

Comments (94)

• hhireno
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

1) ellendi and kellyeng, how did you know you needed a thyroid biopsy?

2) I think it's interesting to have so many different ideas presented here. Something one of us is doing may just be the spark someone else needs to make a change. Just as one size does not fit all, one method is not the only way to reach a new size.

2a) I get frustrated when I see my SIL make bad choice after bad choice while she complains about her weight. I mentioned (alright, I complained) about this a year ago and nothing has changed. I can't make her come to the realization that SHE is the only one that can do anything to improve her situation. She weighs even more this summer than last while I made a few simple changes and weigh 8 pounds less. When I made the suggestions last year she said I guess I'm not ready to do anything about it yet (said after taking part in a multi week better eating program at her work). She has time to play candy crush but no time to tweek her eating habits. Drives. Me. Crazy.

Maybe that's one of the reasons I like this thread. It's ideas, support, and encouragement for and by people who are taking responsibility for their health.

• luckygal
    10 years ago

Hhireno, I never talk about my way of eating with friends or relatives any more as it's a waste of breath. When I first started this family and friends all knew why I was doing it and some also changed their eating habits. Some have continued with it and made permanent changes as I have which is great. However other friends who were not impacted by the deaths are in the "it's never going to happen to me" camp and I just have to button my lips when we eat out. If they do bring up the subject of their weight I will say that I use stevia because it's a healthier alternative to sugar but it's painful to watch someone who is very overweight have refills on sweet tea.

Your SIL is correct that she is not ready but I hope she becomes ready before it is too late because it's not a healthy way to be. I'm amazed that people are not motivated by the urge to be more attractive if the health aspect escapes them. When I was 50 pounds overweight I did not feel as good about my appearance as I do now and really wanted to weigh less. It's so much fun to shop for clothes now! I cannot imagine the self body image of a person who is 100 or more pounds overweight. Guess there is a lot of denial going on.

• golddust
    10 years ago

I recently purchased Chia seeds at Costco. Currently I'm mixing 2 TBSP with unsweetened Habiscuss tea. (Starbucks calls it 'Passion Tea' but they add simple syrup). The benefit claims of Chia seeds include filling you up, lowering Glycemic index, fighting tummy fat and raising good Cholesterol levels. I will see. I don't take any medications on a regular basis and would love to continue on that path.

I'm trying Chia seeds in addition to my morning green goo instead of coffee. We work hard to watch our carbs, dont 'do' sweets and limit red meat. I haven't baked in years. My downfall is a beer. I love handcrafted beer in the summer. It must run in the family as our cousin was Mendicino Brewing Company. He sold and is part of another start up called Napa Smith. Whole Foods carries his beer now but not sure if it's a regional thing.

I'm 5'4 and weighed 140 pounds at my last Dr visit. (I dont own a scale). Certainly not the weight of my younger years but I'm generally a size 8 and satisfied with my weight. I'm just trying to maintain my health better as I move toward 60. Nothing is free now and bad habits seem to have instant karma.

Anyone have access to Killer Dave's bread? That is another sin of mine. I love his story.

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

"I cannot imagine the self body image of a person who is 100 or more pounds overweight. Guess there is a lot of denial going on."

I will not be able to post on this thread any longer if this condescension continues.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Mine was found when I was learning about my brain tumor. The neuro ophthalmologist decided to schedule a MRA for my neck as well as the MRI.
    My brain tumor was only discovered through a visual field test at the optometrist. I couldn't detect lower quadrant of my right eye.
    The neuro ophthalmologist decided on both ad he wasn't sure of why.

Kelly, I hope you don't leave.

• User
    10 years ago

kelly I sure hope you will be able to over look the thoughtless comment made above. I will link to one of many articles that debunks only one of the massive bits of misinformation posted above by a couple people. There are so many false presumptions and misstatements above that I won't even attempt to cover them all. The only thing I will say is that the absence of ANY food group from your diet is a mistake of vast proportions. Leaving out fat is one of the very WORST food choices a person could make.

And NO cancer does NOT love sugar...sheesh...

http://www.mdanderson.org/publications/focused-on-health/issues/2012-november/cancersugar.html

Here is a link that might be useful: You must eat some fat

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

Trail, thank you so much for the dose of logic and reality. I've been biting my tongue because I didn't want to turn this thread into something it's not - but others did it for me.

Anyway, to answer Hhireno - I've had thyroid issues for a few years now (probably much longer but diagnosed late.) I have Hashimoto's disease which is hypothyroidism caused by autoimmunity. I get a regular ultrasound and the most recent one showed that I have a couple of nodules in my thyroid that are growing rapidly. Along with the nodules I have chronic fatigue and I just can't seem to lose weight anymore - obviously something is going on. Hopefully, we can get it straightened out with a change of medication.

Ellendi - The procedure was way more uncomfortable than I was led to believe. Thank goodness I brought DH along with me because I would have had a hard time driving myself back home. First they gave a shot of lidocaine which pretty much feels like the shot a dentist would give - except it's in your neck. It caused some muscle cramping and I had some heart palpitations. Nothing major just uncomfortable. I never saw the needle and couldn't feel it so there was no pain, just a lot of pressure and discomfort.

The real problem was after the procedure. I felt a little disoriented (like after waking up from an afternoon nap). They took my blood pressure it was normal. My neck felt (and still does) like I have something tied very tight around it. My throat and neck are real sore and stiff so I can't turn my head to the side (bad for driving). I was told to not do anything strenuous or lift anything heavy for a couple of days.

Hope that helps!

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Thanks Kelly, I am not looking forward to this but it has to be done :(
    Please check in again tomorrow morning. I am planning on going to work on Thursday. Wondering if you will be able to get back to your regular schedule.
    I have a least four nodes. Do they check them all?
    I planned on DH coming with me.

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

I was told that normal activity is fine except what I noted above. I have a feeling I'm going to be very bruised tomorrow.

My ultrasound revealed six nodules but just two of them warranted the biopsy. They use several different criteria when determining if a nodule needs aspiration like size, solid vs. fluid filled, presence of blood vessels, irregular margins, something about the absence of a halo around the nodule - that's all I can remember.

• User
    10 years ago

Praying you both have good results.

• User
    10 years ago

kelly...wishing you good a much better day tomorrow ! And no problem on the "biting the tongue" ! I was going to stay out of it too....but then...well you know. Sometimes one has to do what one has to do.

ellen...sending healing and powerful thoughts to you. Please do check back both of you . c

• luckygal
    10 years ago

Kelly, I wish you well with your thyroid condition and hope it is soon resolved.

I am surprised at your comment accusing me of being condescending as condescension to me means feeling superior and I do not at all feel superior to those who have issues with weight as I also did for many years. However I do know how *I* felt when I was 50 pounds overweight and cannot imagine how a person who is even more overweight feels physically but it cannot be good and denial is often a way of dealing with distressing situations. I cannot even *lift* 50+ pounds now but was carrying that around every minute of my day. That's just very physically uncomfortable.

Of course, like everything else, we each see others and situations through our own lens so this is only my perception and others will certainly have differing ones. I have a great deal of empathy for those who struggle to lose weight having been there.

Threats to withdraw from a thread say more about the person threatening than they do about the perceived reason for withdrawing. Let's all be adults and allow people to say what they feel and think. I don't see that I've attacked anyone personally but if someone feels that way it's unfortunate as I've never meant to do that.

The subject of weight loss and obesity is obviously such a highly charged one that I will no longer speak to that unless someone asks me a direct question. I have wondered if my attitude over accomplishing my weight loss goals makes me seem condescending to some but it was a long and difficult road that took me over 5 years to accomplish and I think it's quite normal for me to feel proud of that accomplishment. I often hear others brag on their accomplishments which are beyond me and don't think they are being condescending because of it.

As to the subject of sugar in the diet - inflammation has long been associated with the development of cancer and it's known that sugar causes inflammation which is why it's been recommended to me to avoid it. Both of the 2 Doctors I depend on for info are avid in learning all the cutting edge research on this disease, most of which has not yet reached the mainstream allopathic medical community (which is firmly entrenched in the pharmaceutical model) so if you are depending on your physician for info on disease you are not likely to know the current info as he/she is unlikely to have that info. Time will prove much of the current thinking on cancer is quite incorrect. Hope that doesn't make me seem condescending but it's just what I am told by Doctors who make it their business to learn about the latest studies.

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

I've had cancer three times and no one's ever been able to tell me what caused it - not even the docs who DO the latest research, not just learn about it. Glad to finally find out it was caused by all that sugar I ate (and continue to eat). I am clearly doomed but I gotta' say I'm thoroughly enjoying every day of life, however short it may be!!

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

Lol Gibby :). Amazing how someone can narrow it down to two specific causes right?

Most doctors at the two transplant centers where I have been a patient at (md anderson and Hutchinson) advocate moderation on all things. I think that works for most. I hope my last message didn't come off as you must eat vegan, because I certainly think my way of eating presents several obstacles that I have to adjust for (b12, d3, etc). I also eat fat, just never in the form of the evoo or mayo. But I fully support everyone trying to live their chosen healthy lifestyle. In general i just get alarmed when I see someone selling quick perfect fixes (saying a diet high in fat or solely focused on paleo or whatever the latest trend) is the solution to everything.

Kelly and Ellen- wishing the best for you both. The hurry up and wait cycle of testing and results can be stressful. Good luck.

All said I think I will refrain from posting while enduring a sleepless night in the hospital again. I do fear I come off as snarky then.

Our rowing machine is rather basic. No fishing games sorry. That may help make it less boring though! HIIT is just a really intense interval training. For example regular interval training on a walk/run may look like this: 4 minutes of walking at 3.5mph hour followed by 1 minute of running at 8.5mph and repeat 5x over. Whereas a HIIT session would be more like a 10 minute session where you do a very low intensity 3mph walk for 1 minute followed by the fastest possible run you cando (max out your HR) for 30 seconds then walk for 1 minute and run repeat cycle for 10 minutes. It basically takes the principal of a tabata work out and applies them to any cardio activity (spinning, rowing, running, step aerobics etc) not sure if that answers your question about the fishing game or not.

This post was edited by iheartgiantschnauzer on Tue, Aug 13, 13 at 7:27

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

Gibby, I had no idea you had cancer THREE times. Are you a warrior or what?

The whole sugar/cancer thing is so ridiculous it's laughable. I'll just go ahead and continue trusting in prestigious institutes like MD Anderson thank you very much.

Ellendi - my day-after report is pretty good. Just some localized soreness and no swelling or bruising. I guess they knew what they were doing! It does kind of look like I was bitten by a vampire . . .

Thanks to everyone for your well wishes and support!

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Thanks Kelly.

• User
    10 years ago

Glad that you are recovering nicely Kelly . Ellen please post back too. c

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

Ya, I had a rare sarcoma when I was 15, a recurrence of that when I was 25 and then an entirely different rare sarcoma when I was 55. I kind of figure I was born with whatever causes cancer - genetic defect or something - and what I eat isn't going to change that. In spite of all that my prognosis is very good and because of all that I am VERY focused on enjoying life. Obsessing about what all is bad for me to eat just isn't my idea of a good time. Everything in moderation, regular exercise, maintain a healthy weight, don't stress, think positive good thoughts, be nice to people. That's my approach.

• User
    10 years ago

Congrats Gibby for being a survivor and having a great attitude :D

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

Hey, I wasn't supposed to live to age 20 so at 56 I gotta' be one of the luckiest people around. Makes it easy to have a great attitude.

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

Gibby your attitude is inspirational. I try to stay positive like you but my latest go round with leukemia is pushing my limits. Thanks for the reminder that we are lucky.

• User
    10 years ago

Keep up the fight I♥giantshnauzer ☺

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

I think it is all relative iheartgiantschnauzer. Usually you don't have to look too far to find someone facing even greater challenges which can make you feel relatively fortunate. I also think it's important to find joy in each new day because you never know when things could take a turn for the worse. You just can't waste any good minutes, hours or days because they are so precious. Sometimes it's hard though.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Just got back from my thyroid biopsy. Only two needed to be checked. Four samples per node. So far I feel fine but it will take an hour for the local to wear off.
    Monday I will find out if they are clear (crossing my fingers ).

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

Glad it went smoothly. Monday? I have to wait for two weeks.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Kelly, I wonder why so long for you. The doctor mentioned too that sometimes it's a gray area and it goes for genetic testing.

• texanjana
    10 years ago

Praying that both of you get good results from your biopsies.

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

I second that!!

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

My doc wants me to come in for the results and I think part of that is to make sure they have time for them. I had some blood drawn too and they want those results as well.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Wishing you all the best, ladies, with the thyroid biopsy results.

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

Kelly and ell- wishing you the best. The waiting can be nerve wracking,

Gibby, relativity is so true. You really help remind me to put it in perspective. Ive been so frustrated this go round.I've been forced to take a loa from work. I have had to take a step back from my sons soccer team which I had planned on coaching and I've decided to only attempt one 4 hour class this semester. Its an adjustment to admit my limitations right now. But by doing so, I've allowed myself to focus on what matters most when I'm not in the hospital. I was 5 years out from a sct and had allowed myself to think we wouldn't be dealing with it again. But as you say lots of living to squeeze in to life. and like you I am truly lucky and blessed to still be here with my family. Can't wait to hit lake home with our friends this weekend. Thanks again for helping me adjust my attitude.

• hhireno
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kellyeng and Ellendi,
    I hope the worst is behind you and you get good results. I was going to say positive results but that is NOT the terminology to use in this case! Just reading about your procedures made me squeamish.

IHGS,
    It's only human to occasionally get mentally worn down by what's happening to you and your family. A lake weekend sounds like just the thing for clearing the mind and becoming rejuvenated.

Gibby,
    My goodness, what a medical history. Thanks for sharing it and for participating in these threads.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Hhierno and all here on Healthy Check In! Today I feel fine. Took off the small bandaids and I have just two puncture dots. I feel fine, just a little funny when I swallow.
    I think I was lucky that my doctor only wanted to check two nodules.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

My thyroid biopsy came back benign!

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

Great news, ellendi !!!!!

• User
    10 years ago

Fantastic news ! c

• hhireno
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh good! Now that the thyroid and the brain things were investigated and determined to be benign, is that it for you? I hope it's time to resume a normal, healthy life without medical procedures.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

I hope so! I am very lucky. I actually went back to my usual routine six weeks after surgery. (I went back to my part time job after four)
    A few relatives have benign thyroid nodules so I was hopeful that mine would be too. But you never know.
    Thanks everyone for your support. It is very much appreciated :)

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

Ellendi, so happy to hear your results are negative! Will you be going back for a regular checkup?

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

Just a quick check-in before the month is over! For the first time ever (or in many years) I spent several weeks at our beach house without gaining a pound. My intention was to LOSE weight, which unfortunately did not happen. I could have been better with exercise, I could have been more diligent with diet, but hey, I was on vacation. I was trying to stick to the "no white stuff" approach but I did have single bites of other family members' desserts if they ordered them at restaurants; I had exactly one ice cream cone; I drank one margarita and many lite beers (over the course of 3 weeks); and we ate at restaurants quite a bit, which always throws me off course no matter how careful I am.

Anyway, I am pleased with myself for exercising much more control than I normally do on vacation. I have been home for only a few days but have reigned myself back in and already have lost a pound.

My new goal: I turn 50 in a little over a year, and I want to lose 10 pounds by then. Seems like it should be ridiculously easy, but I have been losing and gaining the same 3 lbs. for about a year, so I don't think it will be as easy as it sounds especially at this stage of my life. My doctor has been recommending the DASH diet to me for years because my blood pressure is on the high side (but not high enough to warrant meds), so I've been taking a look at that over the last day or so. It's also highly recommended in a comparison of weight loss programs on WebMD.

• hhireno
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kellyeng,
    How did you make out with your thyroid results?

Sueb,
    Sounds like you had a good start to your 50th bday goal by not gaining while on vacation. Build from there. Keep thinking positive and about lifestyle changes, not just weight loss. Trim 100-200 calories everyday, not so much your body misses them, enough to make difference over the course of a year. A little less cereal, a smaller amount of yogurt, one less piece of bread - you get the idea. Don't worry on the actual calorie amount, just tweak each meal by taking a smaller portion or skipping a calorie laden beverage.

Whether we like it or not, movement is crucial to weight loss and maintenance. You need to find a way to move more. You know the usual things - park farther from the door, take the stairs, stand up more. Can you add an activity that doesn't seem like exercise? Horseback riding? Ice skating? Bike riding? Swimming or treading water?

For fitness the expression is: don't sit when you can stand, don't stand when you can walk, don't walk when you can run (although I only run if I'm being chaaed). For long days touring when we travel, I tell my husband the rule changes to don't stand when you can sit, don't walk when you can ride, and don't ever pass a clean bathroom without using it. But I digress...

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

Thanks, hh...I have the exercise down when I'm at home. I walk at least 3-4 mornings usually with a friend (if the weather doesn't cooperate we go to the gym), which is crucial. Without company I get bored or take shortcuts. With a friend, an hour passes so much more quickly! One thing I need to do more is lifting weights -- not the he-man type of weight lifting, but I have a little routine with 5-8 lb. weights that I learned from a trainer years ago, and I can do it at home, but.... what I need to do is put the weights in a prominent location, like in the kitchen so I can use them while waiting for dinner to cook or something.

I hear you about the small differences. Here's one. I am not a huge drinker, but when we go out or visit with friends, I'll have a couple of drinks. Love the fruity martinis or margaritas, but I know how many calories they have! I used to have them more often, but now I limit them to just once in a while. I also like certain beers, and over time I have moved from Amstel Lights to more craft beers, or Blue Moons...leaving lite beers in the dust. So this summer I have moved back to lite beers. I wish I liked wine more because I know that's a healthier option. And yeah, I know not drinking at all is the healthiest option.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Kelly, my doctor wants me back for a sonogram in six months. But since I also have to do follow up MRI for my brain, I am going to question why znd see if it can be yearly.
    Tired if all this testing and I don't want to over due it.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Glad to hear your biopsy turned out well Ellendi and waiting to hear about yours Kelly!

I had a thryoid biopsy years ago and I must have had a great doctor. I had very little pain, was not numbed but the biopsies (I can't remember if there were 2 or 4) were by needle aspiration. I was barely even sore later! I left the doctor's office (didn't know they were going to do a biopsy) and then met friends for lunch!

tina

• User
    10 years ago

Congrats Ellendi

• ellendi
    10 years ago

So cute, CL!

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

Well the good news is that my biopsy was negative. Yay!! Looks like I'll need an US every six months.

The not so good news is that I have more tests ahead of me. I need to be tested for insulin resistance and adrenal fatigue. Hopefully we'll figure out what's going on with me.

I'm thinking I need to set up a camera to see if I'm sleep walking to Whataburger in the middle of the night. That would explain being tired all the time and not being able to lose weight! ;)

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Kelly, Glad to hear that your biopsy was also negative. Hurray!
    Hope you will soon find out what is causing your fatigue.

• hhireno
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kelly,
    I'm glad your biopsy was negative and I hope the other testing reveals an easy to fix for your other issues.

Hee, hee, hee about Whataburger. Hide your car keys at night just in case.

• hhireno
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I probably mentioned this years ago but was reminded about it this morning so I thought I'd mention it again.

A few years ago my whole family was visiting for the holidays. One sister had a great cell phone ring tone and every time her phone rang we would all stop and dance. From my 18 month nephew to my 80 year old Mum, we would all free form dance for the duration of the ringing. Naturally, we called her phone frequently because it was so cute and fun.

It was the holidays and we were indulging in bagels and cream cheese in the a.m., holiday baked treats, wine with dinner every night, a real food and drink splurge. Yet I lost 3 pounds over those 4 weeks. It slowly crept back on once the dance parties, and additional physical activity from being around little kids, ended.

What's my point? We, and I include myself in that, need to move more, all day, everyday. Not just dedicated exercise time, which is important, but any movement. Do a dance every time your phone rings. Use the upstairs bathroom instead of the main level one. Pace while you talk on the phone or read your emails.

Make your mantra the song from the movie Madascagar:
    I like to move it, move it