Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchenwitch_gw

Follow-up to Dating over 50

kitchenwitch
10 years ago

About a month ago I posted here looking for advice on dating after 50. I just want to report back and tell you how it is going.

I signed up for match.com and I have to say that it's a lot of work! You have to make a profile and keep it fresh, search the many pages of photos and profiles, write and answer emails and set up meetings - it's like a second job and I was wondering what I had gotten myself into. One thing that I had to get over is how guys look as we get near 60 - women mostly keep up their looks, but the men - well, I had to let go of appearances and look instead at their style and interests and activities. And then, just like in high school, any man I was attracted to wasn't interested in me, and most of the guys that noticed me I didn't like!

I had one meeting with a "match" and it was clear early on that there was no chemistry and the feeling was mutual. Then the next day a guy from a nearby town emailed me and we hit it off right away, just writing back and forth. We had a good phone call and then met for a drink and it turned into a 3-hour dinner. We had so much to talk about and it's been quite a long time since I felt so comfortable being myself around someone. And since he lives about 5 miles from me, we actually know people in common, so I know he isn't a serial killer - another plus! It's only been a few weeks but we've been seeing each other every couple of days and it's going really well. He's a cute bald guy with a great smile and a young attitude (and a good job, a nice house, and kids on their own!), and he thinks he's the luckiest guy in the world to have met me.

So I took down my profile - I have no interest in dating someone else right now. I think I was on match for about two weeks, so it worked for me (so far). We'll see how it goes!

Comments (19)

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

How wonderful! I'm really happy you met someone you're enjoying spending time with-sounds like he's smitten!

• chispa
    10 years ago

KW, hope things work out for both of you. Funny about the high school comment. I have started telling my teenage son that exact statement, not just for relationships, but also when trying to make friends.

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

Wow! It sounds like you've found the perfect new companion. How lucky is that!

• dedtired
    10 years ago

What a heartwarming story. I never had the courage to put myself out there. I actually saw the profiles of people that I know IRL on Match. I got a good laugh at their profile descriptions -- so different from the person I know. Also, it seemed all the men over 60 are looking for a woman in the 35 - 45 bracket.

I hope so much this turns out to be a match for you. There is someone on the Cooking Forum who is now married to someone she met on match.He seems like a great guy.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Thanks for getting back. I know of two marriages from Match.com.
    Interesting that you mentioned he is bald. That is often a deal breaker for some women, and it really shouldn't be.

• no_green_thumb
    10 years ago

Congrats!! I am so glad you found someone. My sister has been divorced for almost 20 years - dated one guy worse than what she got rid of - and hasn't been out in 10 years. It is so sad. She just feels she is going to meet the "ax murderer". IT is so very sad as she is such a nice person. Her children are grown and out and she is so lonely, but won't pull the trigger to do anything about it ---- so I do love to hear the happy ending stories.

• blfenton
    10 years ago

And in high school looks were everything and the most insulting thing you could have someone say to you is "well you have a nice personality" Funny how that turns out to be the best thing to have and what really counts in the end.

kitchenwitch - have a great time with your new friend.

• hhireno
    10 years ago

Oh, that's great! Enjoy yourself. Thanks for reporting back.

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

Wow - that's really great. Hope it works out.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Thank you for the update and congrats on meeting a quality guy!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

That's wonderful! While I hope it works out, if not, you are still having a good time.

• User
    10 years ago

Yeah..I love a bald headed man :) c

• User
    10 years ago

Yeah..I love a bald headed man :) c

• golddust
    10 years ago

I also love bald men. My DH has a head full of naturally brown hair (at 65) but my side of the family produces bald men. I was raised by men who went bald early and I'm grateful for their presence in my life.

Such great news. I am so happy for you. I wish you happiness.

• suero
    10 years ago

Bald means that there's so much more to kiss.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    10 years ago

Christine Lavin and her cohorts did a great, fun song about loving bald-headed men.

Here is a link that might be useful: It's a hoot

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

What lovely news, KW . . . I'm so happy for you!

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

What a great story and outcome! I really could not imagine being single (IâÂÂm 53) at over 50 in this day and age. IâÂÂm sooo happy for you that you found a nice man.

• MrMillion
    10 years ago

Thats a awesome story. I hope I experience something similar soon at the dating site I use. I read others experience of it here http://www.freedatinghelper.com/reviews/ourtime-com/ and it was pretty useful.

This post was edited by MrMillion on Fri, Oct 4, 13 at 1:12