Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terezosa

Touching prose on Craigslist

terezosa / terriks
10 years ago

I just read this "posting" on Craiglist, that I found quite touching and well written.

Here is a link that might be useful: Craigslist missed connection

Comments (9)

• Jamie
    10 years ago

Oh, Terriks! Haunting, Chilling, close to home. I just printed it out to show DH.

• Jamie
    10 years ago

Since my husband retired and I work at home there are hours every day when I have to deliberately disengage from him even though I am physically present. This situation has emphasized the type of "connection failure" that the Craigslist post so poignantly illustrates.

At the end of the work day, when I no longer have to keep my mind on "the book" he relaxes, as if grateful for no longer having to hold back, but he holds back nonetheless. I think he feels that it's ok to pretend, in the evening, that you have worked all day and must unplug from everything, including wifely and domestic concerns, in order to recover and fortify yourself for the next day of work. This was probably a false way to live when he worked and traveled long hours, but it was his method. I am not without fault. Sometimes I just want to take care of me in the evening, or to take care of domestic things that make me feel better once they're complete. But since I don't take care of myself by sharing TV with him, I'm still distant, reading the book.

It was one thing when we both worked long hours apart. The failure to connect could be excused as a necessity when time and attention were elsewhere to that the "gravy train{{gwi:807}}" could be fueled. But how do people cope with love on the train when age advances and you could so easily be more present?.

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by jamies on Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 14:04

• User
    10 years ago

found this when I went looking..I never read craigslist so didn't know how much this happens. thanks for posting. c

Here is a link that might be useful: missed connection

• ellendi
    10 years ago

I have heard about the missed connections. But, there is something about the 60 year one that seems contrived.

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Of course it's contrived, it's a work of fiction in the magical realism genre.

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

I found it fascinating - a little Craigslist short story.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    10 years ago

Beautiful, terriks. Perhaps some are skimming and not reading till the end. I found it very moving. Should win a CL literary award...or perhaps, simply a lit award, prriod! I loved it.
    Marti

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I went to read it and it's been pulled from CL.

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

Annie- I googled Missed Connections - Craigslist and there are several other sites that posted it.
    Here's one:

Here is a link that might be useful: missed connections