Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anele_gw

Please vote for my sis-- ugly sofa contest!

anele_gw
14 years ago

My sister has 5 children . . .she is a work-at-home-mom (but she only works at night from home, when her children are asleep). She has no paid help. Really, no help at all! She works constantly, and puts all her money into her children, so there is little left for things like a new sofa.

Our local station is having a contest, and if she wins, she can get a new sofa. She and her DH have never had a new one. The sofa looks bad in the picture, but it actually is much worse in real life.

You vote by rating the sofa. Click on the stars above the sofa-- the sofa closest to the most "5 star" votes will win.

Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ugly Sofa Contest

Comments (30)

• parma42
    14 years ago

Done. :)

• golddust
    14 years ago

Me too. I rated it a '5'. She does need a new sofa, though I've seen duct tape wallets that were attractive. If she doesn't win, she should invest in a few more rolls and go for it! LOL!

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Hope she gets it! Still on 4 though. More votes are needed!

• DLM2000-GW
    14 years ago

I voted for her and then took a look at the others - she has some stiff competition! Gawd there's some uuuuugly sofas out there!

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

When I clicked on the link it went to a pop-up that said I had to install "Silverlight" in order to view. I never heard of "Silverlight" and don't want to risk anything on my computer.

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, everyone! I told my sister and she is very, very touched!!!!

dilly, I had to install the same thing. Silverlight is put out by Microsoft . . .I don't know if it makes you feel better or not! CBS would have plenty of complaints if they made people install something that would infect your computer!

Here is a link that might be useful: Silverlight Info

• theroselvr
    14 years ago

I tried voting on 2 different browsers but not sure if it took it as 5 stars because it kept showing 4.

I'm on a Mac, so I'm not sure if that has something to do with it.

• readerlearner
    14 years ago

done again :)

• golddust
    14 years ago

I downloaded silverstar in order to vote and my computer lived to tell the story. Only took a few moments.

I have a Mac and I kept voting 5 and it kept showing 4 too.

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh my goodness! Thank you all so much!!!!

• User
    14 years ago

Sounds like your sister not only needs a new sofa, she deserves one! She got my vote, let us know how she makes out! Good luck!

• anntique
    14 years ago

Your sister got my vote as well. Good luck to her. You are a good sister to post here on her behalf. Hope she wins!

• golddust
    14 years ago

Oh no, she is no longer ahead. Can we vote more than once? LOL!

• roobear
    14 years ago

I voted, I hope she wins!!

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Continued thanks to you all!!! I am always amazed by the people on this board!!!

• golddust
    14 years ago

Come on lurkers/readers! Please vote. This could be fun to try and get anele's sister a new couch. It would really be all of our win! LOL!

Keep voting people! This is the home decorating thread. We can't have one of our own having a sofa like that! This is war. See if we can vote again...

I know. I'm easily entertained.

• pbrisjar
    14 years ago

Voted.

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks again, everyone!!!

And golddust, you are too funny!!!

• theroselvr
    14 years ago

Voted a few more times, again on the Mac plus my windows computer.

• bebetokids
    14 years ago

Done-you are a great sis anele-just the thing I would do for my 2 sisters-I hope that she wins! We need a pic of the new one!

• amysrq
    14 years ago

Count me in....that takes the tape...uh...I mean cake! ;-)

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Again, you are all the best!!!!! I will definitely post a picture of her new couch if she wins!

• idie2live
    14 years ago

You know what the sad part is? Some of those sofas were probably out in the barn, mancave, garage or whatever. The owners may not even be using them now. But they could knock out someone like your sister who truly needs a sofa. It would be so great if someone like her and her family could benefit from this. I voted too.

• golddust
    14 years ago

Today, I saw some worse looking sofas so I voted against them (evil grin). I voted one star to try and bring their rating down. LOL!

I am so bad but this is war!

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My sister just e-mailed me this for everyone here . . .

Dear Home Decorating Forum:
    Thank you so much for voting for my ugly couch-I can hardly believe how nice you all have been, voting for the couch, checking the ranking, and thinking of ways to help my couch win!!! Really, I am actually sort of honored. My mom told me to enter the couch and I jokingly did it--although of course, I KNEW it was bad enough to maybe win! LOL! I had no idea so many people would care, and in this day and age--it is so nice to get this feeling from people. Again, thank you!
    P.S. The funny thing about this couch is that it actually was a decent couch originally! And it is not like it was destroyed by a dog that ate it or something. Many moons ago, we made the mistake of buying it from the former owners of our house, even though some of the leather color had already rubbed off! The couch really has been in our living room, and I even do most of my online teaching work sitting on it!
    I am still shocked that the couch is at #1, but again, I owe it to you all here! My sister has talked about all of the great advice she has gotten from your group, but most of all I think she is just glad to have the ear of people interested in the same thing she is interested in!

Thanks again,
    Cristina

• golddust
    14 years ago

Well, this is a perfect storm. All lovers of nice looking homes must rise to the occasion!

That foam exposed looking couch doesn't even look like anyone ever made a singe attempt to preserve it (read: Doesn't care and won't take care of the new couch).

Your sister has made every effort to make necessary repairs, showing me a valiant effort to make her couch last longer than its life expectancy. This trait must be rewarded. Go duck tape!

We have to vote 'no' on people who didn't make the same effort! Vote them down by giving them a one star!

I may be easily entertained but I try to think things out... So vote and vote often, people! This is war. Her kids might want to have company over. Let us make them proud.

• pbrisjar
    14 years ago

Voted again and got Hubby to vote, too.

• CaroleOH
    14 years ago

voted...looks like she's winning!

• parma42
    14 years ago

Anele, when does the contest end?

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for the enormous support! I talked to my sis today on the phone and she again told me how stunned and amazed she was by the efforts you are all putting out for her! She is one of those people who really puts herself last, last, LAST on the list, so she is very touched that people would do this for her!

parma, that is a good question! It is very hard to get info from that site . . .I wonder if they have no end date in mind, but just will keep the contest going until they feel they got enough publicity from it?

This is hugely OT, but I feel like an idiot every time I see a Walter Smithe commercial. I used to play the harp professionally, and one day a gentleman came up and said his wife wanted harp lessons. He gave me his card to get things started-- he was THE Walter Smithe! I guess I was too intimidated . . .I never got back to him! DUHHHH!!!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES