Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violetwest

Choosing flooring for a house with cats

violetwest
9 years ago

What would be the best kind of floor for a house with cats? I'm thinking about taking up the carpet in one of the spare bedrooms and putting down a different flooring in case I need to isolate an aging cat with potty problems. This is the room with the indoor cat box, too. (Mine are indoor cats, although they have a nice screened porch/catio too.)

I'm thinking sheet vinyl flooring in this small room (maybe . . . 12x12?) would be a cheap and practical alternative to carpet.

--I think laminate would become damaged. .

--I could also put the same kind of ceramic title in there as I have in the kitchen and bathrooms--it's not my favorite but it would do.

--my favorite flooring is Mexican terracotta saltillo tile, but I'm not sure that would be the right choice.

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by Violet.West on Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 12:19

Comments (12)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I was going to suggest the cushioned sheet vinyl. Check out flexitech...I have it in my craft room and it was very easy to clean when our elderly cat went in there...

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thank you, Annie. I probably won't do this for a while--just at the thinking stage.

• eaga
    9 years ago

You might also think about having it installed with a coved floor base to protect your walls.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"coved" -- ? (goes to look this up) . . . .

okay, I see -- it's a separate piece that goes up the wall, and would replace the baseboards. Probably a good idea.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your responses. I have a small house, and don't want to piecemeal it with a different floor in every room!

I would prefer to do the whole house in either good quality saltillo tile or wood. Can't afford it right now, so maybe I'll just do this one room with vinyl right now. We'll see.

• neetsiepie
    9 years ago

We put Allure vinyl planks that resemble wood down in our family room because that is where the dogs stay and it's the room that you can enter directly from the outside.

We needed something that would clean easily, hold up to claws and dog nails (and FUR) and NOT be laminate. Hard wood was out of the running, and we ruled out tile.

It was SUPER easy to install, no gluing and the planks are easy to cut with a utility knife. My mom & her DH put it in their kitchen and swear by it. It's cheap enough that you can try it out and easy to remove if you hate it.

Everyone who's seen it really likes it. It's not going to fool anyone into thinking it's real wood, but it looks nice in the room and is easy care.

Here is a link that might be useful: Allure Barnwood

• Oakley
    9 years ago

I would do vinyl. It's less expensive, and once the cat passes away (sorry), you can lay a pretty area rug on it for when you use the room for something else. I'd get a very light or no patterned floor though.

You're a good mommy.

• golddust
    9 years ago

If you haven't looked at Laminate in a few years, look at it again. Some of its beautiful and many have a lifetime warranty.

We recently purchased a rental with newer Laminate and I love it so much I am considering it for our home. It's bullet proof and doesn't sound hollow like the old stuff.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think my concern with planks or tiles would be fluids (!) seeping into the spaces in between, which is why I was thinking sheet vinyl.

• HIWTHI
    9 years ago

I have 6 cats and 2 very large dogs. I have laminate and ceramic and they can't scratch either. These floors are impervious to their claws.

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

Violet - I agree with you about the sheet vinyl. DS is breaking his lease because the previous renter had cats and he can't eliminate the urine odor. On a hot humid day it's disgusting. He has ceramic floors in the kitchen and laundry room and that's where the litter box had been.

He first looked at the apartment in spring and didn't notice the odor - but he did say that it smelled like flowers and realizes that the owner must have sprayed something. He tried Nature's Miracle on the grout and it didn't help.