Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kswl2

Inspired by The Vivienne Files ... and thank you AnnieD!

kswl2
10 years ago

So, I am going on a ten-day trip in a few weeks to Prague with my daughter. Although I have always packed so that all the tops and bottoms go together and all scarves, jewelry and shoes could be worn with everything I take, the plan has not been as intentional as those I have seen on the blog site the Vivienne files. For this, I have AnnieD to thank, and decided to combine my packing plans with some fall shopping.

So the color scheme will be blue, brown, a tan/gold color, Cream, and white. So far, I have decided on:

one pair brown cotton sidezip pants
one pair tan (almost khaki but darker) cotton side zip pants
one pair of navy wool slacks (ordered, so IF I like them)
jeans, which I rarely wear, or a pair of Eileen Fisher black pants, simply because I can't imagine going anywhere without a pair of black pants!
(If the navy wool pants don't work I will take the jeans and the black pants.)

For shoes, I am taking dark brown suede ecco brogans, and have ordered several pair of blue shoes from Zappos that should arrive tomrrow and from which I will make a choice. (They range from medium brown updated Mary Jane's with blue criss cross straps, to navy blue woven leather loafers.)

4 scarves. all in tones of blue and gold and brown with some black

Stretchy cotton turtlenecks in Navy, brown, gold, white, and tan
a navy blue cotton sweater with brown toggle closures (ordered)

sapphire blue reversing to black mycra pac rain coat (knee length.)

Gold jewelry, not too much of it,

And now the question of a purse/day pack. I have a nice brown leather coach purse that I wear a lot in the fall and winter, but it is quite heavy and doesn't have enough interior pockets to use as a good traveling purse. Our last two visits to Europe were in the summer and The tote i carried for those trips would not be suitable for fall. So I am looking for a new lightweight traveling bag that will serve both as a purse and a day pack and will coordinate nicely with brown and blue. I don't mind if it's leather or fabric or anything else, to me the most important Feature is the size and shape and utility, and of course the locks!

Does anyone have a great bag that fits this description? I have looked many places online but have seen anything yet that inspires. I know there are a lot of shoppers out there.... Help!

Comments (56)

• Lyban zone 4
    10 years ago

Kswl,

Love all the shoes. That is going to be hard to decide if they are all comfortable.

I also like the sweater but it looks quite warm.

I also think you maybe should look at bringing some warm weather clothing.

What about one of the Longchamps Pilage bags or something similar.
    They are very light depending on what you put in them.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I think this is the bag I used...or something similar. It was large enough to fit an ipad...mine is black...

Here is a link that might be useful: Giani Bernini handbag

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lyban, yes, I like all the shoes, too-- wouldn't it be terrible to have to buy more than one pair if they all fit well? :-) We think along the same lines---I was on the Longchamps site earlier looking at the navy medium size Pliage bag, wishing it would coordinate better with my raincoat--- when it occurred to me that the taupe bag work. Nordstrom's got it, so I am looking at it Sunday.

Annie, I like that bag! Can you talk them into making it in a medium chocolate brown or saddle tan for me, lol? It would be a good small bag to take along in a carryon tote for days when I need just a few items. I have an old Dooney and Burke small size bag here somewhere that might work also-- thanks for the reminder, I will look for it!

Thinking about the temps--- I am usually cold when temps dip below 70, but I see that my all-turtleneck wardrobe might be too heavy for even me. The new cardigan and slacks should arrive at the end of the week, so we'll see if they're too heavy. I am hoping the sweater is a thinner cotton than it appears. I usually send laundry out about halfway into a trip, partly because I don't like carrying around a suitcase full of soiled clothing, but also because I love how beautiful it looks nicely folded and tissue wrapped in those individual cellophane bags. It's almost like getting new clothes :-)

• Boopadaboo
    10 years ago

Have you looked at Vera Bradley. They are so light and come in many sizes and colors.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Actually the red would be a nice accent to the blue/brown/gold/cream/white....as would the teal....

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

How about the Michael Kors tote? I have looked at these a million times in stores -- for me they are the perfect size and strap length, and they come in a lot of colors -- haven't bought one yet but I may someday. Not sure what your budget is...but you could use this for years if you like it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tote

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Whatever bag you get, be sure the strap is sturdy so that it cannot be easily cut. I have a Citysafe bag. It works very well in terms of safety and convenience although it is not the most stylish looking thing. It also kind of screams "nervous tourist". Still, it's light, has tons of room, is well organized and I do think a pickpocket might go on to the next person rather try to get into this.

Mine is brown.

Here is a link that might be useful: citysafe bag

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nervous tourist, lol, I love that ded! I long ago stopped worrying whether or not I look like a tourist, and just assume that I do, even though throughout the years the guidebooks turned into stapled copied pages, which turned into scanned and emailed pages, which now are apps. But it's not just the book that marked me as a tourist, lol, as I am a devoted picture taker and sketcher. (please notice I did not call myself a "photographer," I am strictly point and shoot.)

Sueb I like that Michael Kors bag in the medium size, in coffee, dark dune AND luggage. Sunday I am going up to Atlanta for my birthday and will swing by both Nordstrom's and Macy's, taking my raincoat along. Thank you for this suggestion, I believe I will end up with it or one of the longchamps bags, whichever has the most comfortable drop.

I like that citysafe bag, dedtired, and it would be great with a black and white wardrobe. I actually have a wonderful black bag that I could take, and perhaps would have taken but for our Annie D!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Hey! Don't blame me... black is a neutral too and goes with anything....

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

AnnieD, YOU are to blame.... that's my story and I'm sticking with it, lol!

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Some of the shoes arrived today, the first, third and fourth pair above. Only the light blue pair fit well of those three. Still waiting for the Burberry pair (second picture) and the last shoes are out of stock "temporarily" in my size. At least the color will not conflict with all the sapphires and navies I have going on, it will just add another hue. I am going to look like ombre traveler.

I will keep the blue shoes for jeans and khakis and hopefully the others will come in before we leave.

Now, for anyone who isn't already completely tired of this by now.... Have I lost my mind even consodering eschewing a perfectly good--- no, perfectly six months new---luggage for a new case that......matches? Go ahead and tell me if I have lost my grip on reality. Better yet, tell AnnieD!

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

I would definitely omit the turtlenecks, I have a long jersey knit scarf, it's thin weight, and I wrap that around my neck front to back then front again, anytime I travel; you probably have many scarves that could come in handy when there's a chill in the air but not cold enough to wear a turtleneck.

I would have to say you are over thinking the matching of the case, save your $$ to spend on something else to bring back, imho.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Quick someone get a rope!

kswl is going over the edge!

Help me pull her back!

Matchy-matchy is out...things need to go, not match. And luggage isn't one of them. I selected our luggage based on an unusual color that I liked so it would be easier to identify on the carousel...ours are teal.

Oh wait....that did go with my outfits. Purely accidental, I assure you!

• hhireno
    10 years ago

Kswl,
    Yes, you have lost your grip. You do not need luggage. Your other choices are great. Don't forget a small umbrella, as an insurance policy against rain.

I agree with Mitch on both her suggestions. The scarves you're packing will give you more comfort options in changing temperatures than turtlenecks and save the luggage money for a memento of the trip.

For my June trip, I brought two large, pashmina style scarves. That size is great for also covering your shoulders and back in drafty places. I do regret not buying a scarf in the Isle of Skye tartan but I just couldn't justify it. I have way too many scarves and pashminas already. And I didn't want to carry a wool scarf around with me when I was packed so tight.

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I actually don't have warm scarves----I am taking all silk, purely decorative scarves. One is Hermes, which is big but not warm, anther is a RL fortuny pleated silk----- again, not warm, and two others.

In defense of a new case, I do not want a new one that matches, just one that does not collide. I have the victorinox werkes set in Kelly green, all like this one pictured. They replaced my old retired black luggage so they're my only current choices. Additionally, I have wanted to try out a hard side case and thought I might look for one in a neutral brown or blue. I'm not feeling this green with my blue raincoat.

• hhireno
    10 years ago

My June scarves were both cotton, which was just the right weight for that time of year. I am mostly a cold person but I do fluctuate so, for me, the scarves are perfect for keeping my neck warm but easily removable when necessary. For the past 10 years or so, even before menopause, I couldn't/ can't stand the feeling of a turtleneck touching my neck.

I think your silk will function as decorative and to keep your neck warm if it's drafty. I've been curious about hard sided cases so, sure, try one out and report back with pictures of the trip and how your clothing choices worked out. :-)

Guess who I'm meeting while I'm visiting Chicago in September...Janice from the Vivienne Files! I'm so excited.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Okay, I will bite. I agree about new luggage. I have Mark Anthony luggage in a blue that leans toward purple, but it tends to go with what i usually wear; neutrals. I agree the kelly green would clash with a lot! SO you have my vote, fwiw!

BTW, my daughter just ordered Sperry topsiders in black that are quilted like Chanel purses? They remind me a little bit of the woven ones you show above that are backordered. You might like them (even tho she is 11 and loves them, she is an old soul).

Lastly, I always travel with my black Prada parachute material backpack. So light, never in my way, goes with everything. I even carry it if im dressed up; its "Prada" after all. I have been using this bag for over 15 years, i think I am on my third one. They are all fakes. My DH bought me a real one one year and I took it back. The fake ones have snaps under the buckles on the front pockets, the real ones you actually have to unbuckle (PITA). I am not sure where you can get them outside of major cities? Anyway, thats my 2 cents...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Nope...the green is fine...you are already wearing neutrals...white, cream, tan, navy, brown...and the green will go just fine with it. And you won't be going out to dinner or anything with your luggage, so don't worry about it....

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If I wear a sapphire blue coat while carrying a kelly green suitcase I am going to look like a life size Fisher Price Traveling Woman toy!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

No, you would need a red hat for that, a perfectly spherical head, and yellow plastic hair.

While we've never met, I am pretty sure that isn't you.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I have to confess that all the times I've been in an airport, I've never noticed whether the bag went with the outfit. 99 times out of 100, I'm so busy looking at signs to figure out which gate I need or which way to the limos that I barely notice people, let alone their luggage...unless someone is dragging it over my toe....

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I purchased three pieces of the Victorinox luggage partly because I do love the bold green color (and usually it would work really well with my all black or black and green traveling wardrobe) and also because my mother purchased three pieces in the same set (only the rolling tote is the same size), so that between us we have the entire range of sizes and borrow back and forth.

I have spent a LOT of time looking for a hardside bag that I can carry on international flights, and the capacity in cubic inches is just not enough for 10 days, even with laundry. The largest capacity for a 22" spinner is the Lipault plume case, so I ordered that last night in chocolate brown. The chocolate Longchamp bag looks like a good companion to that. My main concern with the Michael Kors is the weight; I called Nordstrom's and they didn't know on the sales floor, so I will still stop there Sunday and try both bags.

Hhireno, that IS exciting! Janice has a very good eye and must cybershop 24/7 to come up with the enormous range of items featured. I am hoping she will help me find the right blue shoes.

MTn, I love those quilted boat shoes and they would be perfect, but they seem to be available only in black and camel. They're a very droll interpretation of that shoe and my hat is off to your daughter for her choice, so much more chic than bluchers!

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If anyone ever doubted the far reach of gardenweb.....several days ago my photos on this post were accessed from Holland....the post had been translated into Dutch, courtesy of Google translate. I'm sorry to say it sounds much more interesting in Dutch than English!

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, went to Nordstrom's today and brought home not one, but two totes--- either of which will work for the trip. The Longchamps bag was too small, the Michael Kors was the wrong color (all of them, and it was pretty heavy), so I tried every bag in the store and finally settled on a Tory Burch leather tote in black (Marion style) and a Halogen tote in luggage color leather. They're both comfortable and the drop is just right, and I will use them outside of traveling. I really did want a nylon bag for this trip, but nothing was really appealing or the right color. Kate Spade has some great totes but hot pink and orange and yellow were all that were of offer, today anyway. All the autumn bags will probably flood the stores next week :-(

Speaking of orange....I have never seen so much of it in stores, catalos, etc. I have an orange twilly with a brown and gold bridle print and have decided to take it along as well.

edited / fawn leather tote is from Halogen, not Hobo

This post was edited by kswl on Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 7:56

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Brown luggage here, and a dry run has almost all my clothing (except the new slacks that are being hemmed) and still has tons of room. Honestly, this is the lightest suitcase I have ever owned!

{{gwi:1518262}}
    {{gwi:1518263}}

I bought the satchel (above, very Mary Poppins-ish, smaller than wheeled bag, photos not in proportion) to go with it but don't think I will need it, but it will be a last minute decision whether to use the leather tote or satchel--- or nothing except a leather crossbody bag.

tote: {{gwi:1518264}}

Blue shoes I really wanted on backorder seemingly forever, chose alternate pair of Fryes, very comfy and same color. (These will join brown suede oxfords from Ecco.) {{gwi:1518265}}
    And ironically, since it is the garment with which I started, the mycra pac raincoat blue is now too sapphire and not enough navy, so I will probably end up taking a navy trench coat that is almost identical to this one: {{gwi:1518266}}

And finally, the three main scarves:
    {{gwi:1518267}}
    {{gwi:1518268}}
    {{gwi:1518269}}

The Chanel scarf is a knockoff I bought in Chinatown in NYC in the 80s, and is polyester--- I bought it in a rainstorm for my head and now often use it with the blue trench without an umbrella as it is impermeable in a way only iron polyester can be!

Have looked at likely temps in mid 70s, taken advice to heart and packed only one cotton turtleneck and replaced others with navy and additional white cotton RL tees that will layer under a brown viscose cardigan that literally goes with everything.

Thanks for being a sounding board--- it helps to see all the pictures in one place!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Pretty scarves, and perfect with your color scheme. I like the trench too, and hope you won't need it because the weather is fab the entire time you are there!

Enjoy!

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lol, AnnieD, patron saint of my travel wardrobe, am I forgiven for the new luggage? It does go,nicely, doesn't it---so much better than the green and black victorinox stuff?

• hhireno
    10 years ago

Everything looks great! I'm getting excited on your behalf. What brand is the brown luggage? I'm always on the lookout for lightweight purses and luggage.
    ETA:
    I think your daughter should take your picture, from behind if you don't want to show your face, so we can see you strolling down a street, pulling your new brown luggage, wearing your raincoat, new pants, & new shoes.

This post was edited by hhireno on Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 16:02

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hhireno, it's made by Lipault--- lightest weight luggage on the internet.

The 21.5" bag is just over 5 lbs and is bizarrely roomy. I admit to a weakness for purses, totes, luggage, etc. My favorite bag is a German made Bree bag that is a pretty gray boiled wool. I'm too protective to check it, but it looks mahvellous with a black, yellow and gray outfit :-)

We'll see how the pictures turn out !

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

You can always take the headless shots like I post.

Actually, I don't have a head...lost it while decorating many moon ago.
    ;)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Patron saint? Not hardly...more like evil imp who has given you an excuse to separate you from your money!

I think the brown bags look fab and you will certainly be among the best dressed in Prague for sure.

If you want to do more high end shopping, my pretty, check out Parisian St. while you're there....all your best friends are there: Cartier, Prada, Dior...

Bwahhahhahaha!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Have a great trip! When do you leave!

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We're leaving Monday the 9th. It's been almost two years since I've been to Europe and I had a ton of FF miles on British Airlines just accumulating like Tribbles. We use them for domestic flights and hotels, but the way Avios points are used for miles (a domestic round trip is just 9000 pts, for example) we cant use them fast enough to make a dent in them. Some family and work issues have kept us closer to home than usual the past few years and I have been READY to go abroad again. I lived in Europe as a teenager and still haven't settled down, lol.

DD and I are both huge Sound of Music and Julie Andrews fans so we are taking the train to Salzburg for a few days to go on the Fraulein Maria Sound of Music Bike tour! We will be the corny (but color coordinated) Americans singing for all we're worth!

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Anne, I am more House of Nordstrom's than Dior, but love to window shop at all the best places. Although I do have a weakness for Hermes scarves, and can always seem to find one i need in a color I don't have :-)

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Exciting update--- NO TOTE NEEDED ! I am astounded at the volume of this Lipault 21.5" rollaboard. I have in it:

3 pair slacks (no jeans)
    1 heavy cotton fisherman's sweater
    4 cotton nice Ts
    1 ribbed knit turtleneck
    1 pr pajamas
    1 robe (these are very thin cotton, Eileen Fisher)
    1 pr leggings
    1 thin knit dress/tunic
    4 scarves
    1 pr shoes
    5 underwear
    5 bras
    6 socks (trouser socks mostly)
    1 cotton tights
    toiletries
    curling iron travel size in case
    makeup
    adapter (for iphone, ipad mini charger)
    3 pair reading glasses
    3 headbands
    1 brown cashmere pashmina (so thin it fits in a small Ziploc)

In flat-ish leather crossbody bag:
    iphone
    ipad mini
    zippered container of health/beauty aids
    sunglasses
    wallet, RFD blocking type that holds passport

Wearing:
    slacks
    T shirt
    brown viscose cardigan
    scarf
    shoes

carrying
    navy trenchcoat

I am hoping that this will be one trip of on and off trains that I won't return home with a flare up of the old rotator cuff injury in left shoulder!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Sounds wonderful!

• goldengirl327
    10 years ago

Nice job. Have a wonderful time!

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

How much does the bag weigh when you have it packed? Will you take a camera or use your iPhone?

It looks like you have everything covered. Is your daughter as well organized?

Only a few days left before you leave - are you having any last minute doubts about outfits? In any case I hope you have beautiful September weather and a glorious time with your daughter.

Maire

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will be using the camera on my iPhone 5, which is better than my picture taking ability deserves. (I bought a cute, medium priced Sony camera about six months ago that uses completely nonintuitive hieroglyphics and has already been relegated to a drawer.) I might take a flip camcorder--- mainly because it will prevent me from running down my phone battery and I don't have that much space n the phone for videos, even temporarily.

The bag weighs an incredible 23 lbs fully packed! DD is very organized but is a clothes horse and always takes far too much stuff. For a one week (6 days) Christmas trip to NYC she took THREE jackets--- one pea coat, one corduroy barn jacket, and one short swing coat. I still don't know how she got them all in her suitcase. But she wasn't the worst offender.....my BIL took three cases (small carryon, hangup and regular suitcase). We gave him heck about it but I have to say he looked perfect for every show, dinner and meetup.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Have a wonderful time, KSWL, climb every mountain and ford every stream!

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you mtn! We have a layover in London (unavoidable with BA) and are doing one of the Beatles London Tours (walking) that culminates in a shamelessly touristy walk across the zebra crossing on Abbey Road. Although I realize this packing zeal has gotten entirely out of hand you will be relieved to know I am not taking a special suit for that occasion :-)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

LOL

Out of hand? Phhh, that describes just about every endeavour I undertake. I get it. : )

• texanjana
    10 years ago

I hope you have a great trip. Thanks for the info on the suitcase.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    10 years ago

Coincidence to share: I just returned from three week trip spent in Paris ,London, amd NYC, travelling with the same chocolate bag! I also had the no-wheel tote. It was crammed so tightly on return, its soft top bulging, that I worried the zipper would break with the strain. I fell in love with its soft, silky finish, but worried it would damage easily. After five flights it still looks new.
    Have a wonderful trip, and report back! Prague is next on my list!
    Marti

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Have a fantastic time Kswl! And, take lots of pictures to share with us (please).

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Marti I am very happy to hear the bag is sturdy. I am taking a tiny fold up tote for purchases in case I am forced to check the wheeled bag on the flight home. I am mad about the finish as well! Texanjana, you now have a more informed opinion of the bag....considering what luggage costs these days it is a real bargain!

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

Whoa - I didn't pay attention to the size of your bag. It's a carry on? I'm doubly impressed that you managed to pack all those clothes in a carry on. Oh, I figured it out - you're a size 0 and all of your clothes are itty bitty. That explains it.

Are you a proponent of the 'roll your garments' or the 'fold them and stow them' school of packing?

Martinca's review is really helpful. I checked their website - I love the Aqua. Now if only I had some place to travel I'd have an excuse to purchase new luggage. .......and then I'd have to purchase a co-coordinating travel wardrobe too.

• kswl2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The vivienne files has a lovely aqua and black capsule wardrobe, Maire cate! I am decidedly not a size zero, so you may well be Impressed at the number of garments in the bag :-) I am not a roller, I tried that method once or twice and it was a hot mess to get things out--- any time you want an item you have to completely unpack and repack. If I am staying in a hotel longer than one night I unpack almost completely, hanging everything and putting other things in drawers. But I usually use the packing cube thingies from Eagle Creek and ebags. I will use a medium or large zippered packing bag for all my slacks, another for all the tops, a small cylindrical one for undies and socks, another for scarves, etc. that way when I want a shirt I can just take that cube out and not disturb everything else. I put these cubes in drawers as is unless something would benefit for being hung up. Alternatively, if we are going on a trip requiring a lot of dressing up, I will pack complete outfits individually in those space bag thingies. That way I have not only the clothes, but the stockings, shoes, jewelry, any special underwear, etc. in one package. Those are the bags you ziplock and then roll it up to,squeeze all the air out, then unroll it to lie very flat. It's amazing how unwrinkled clothes are when packed in those space bags!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

There is something about plastic bags when packing. I always start with a dry cleaner bag as a liner for the suitcase...no idea why, but it helps prevent wrinkles.

• bac717
    10 years ago

I would like to add my endorsement for the packing cubes and folders. We have an assortment from Eagle Creek, but there may be other brands out there, as well. It's amazing how much you can fit in each. I think things don't come out a wrinkled mess because the clothes don't shift around as the bag is handled.