Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trailrunnerbiker

treading water...

trailrunner
10 years ago

I had thought to post this under the check in but wanted to reach a wider audience in case some didn't plan to check in. Love hh's thread !!

I know that several folks have mentioned not being able to run for various reasons or to bicycle. Also there are those that don't have a pool that is big enough or the right shape for laps or they just don't have any interest in swimming laps. I thought I would present this as an alternative exercise that is better for getting an " all around " workout as well as no stress on joints.

Treading water was something I first tried in 1996. I had broken my r fibula on a trail run when I slipped on a wet log I was going over. I got a cast that had a gortex liner and used a flotation device around my waist that is meant for pool jogging. i went to the pool at AU every day and jogged/tread water for an hour. Rinsed out the cast and blow dried inside it ! I had the cast changed every week. In 4 weeks my leg was healed and I had a great way to complete workouts for an upcoming race...a 50 k .

I stopped using the flotation device and finally sold it. If you have a pool that is at least deep enough that you don't touch the bottom with legs extended while treading water then that is all you need. It takes no space. You will burn approx 11 cal per min or the same as running a 6 min mile ! It works way more of your body than any other exercise and is much better than plain swimming.

You will want to start with a minute and then rest and then another minute and build up slowly. It is a very good workout and deceptively tough. You can use a pool noodle for flotation if you like...wrap it around your back and hold the ends in front of you. Gradually get used to doing a minute without any aids.

You will see a definite difference in your arms and abs and legs and butt in a week. Only do a minute though to begin and work up. I will link a good article on this....there are more out there if you Google.

If you have any questions I would be glad to answer. I usually swim laps for 1/4 mile then do this a while and then swim again. If you don't do laps then move to the shallow end or side of pool and use the water as resistance for other exercise and then go back to tread water again. Good Luck ! c

Here is a link that might be useful: Treading water

Comments (13)

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

Thank goodness - I imagined something very different from the title and anticipated an huge issue in your life!

Treading water as exercise - phew! As you were...........

• Jamie
    10 years ago

I haven't read the article yet...

I second that treading water is strenuous. Depending on how your body is made up, it can be more or less so.
    I sometimes attend a deep water class with people who have a lot of body fat. They can keep their arms above water, just kicking with their legs, for many minutes. I, on the other hand, cardio fit on land to the max, have to use a noodle. These people can do very little cardio on land.

It's interesting also how using resistance hand weights in the water is so different than on land. I love the feeling of being in different gravity, enjoying how much more -- and less -- I can do of certain exercises.

If only I had a pool nearby that was oxygen cleansed instead of indoors and filled with chlorine. I really hate sucking deep chlorine breaths.

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    10 years ago

haha..dlm...
    jamies I will link below. the pool smell is due to NOT enough chlorine..a bad situation. they need to see the linked article immediately and be inspected by whoever is in charge in your area. It is true that the slimmer one is the harder it is to float...you should leave off all flotation anyway as it will really make you work ! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: chlorine smell...

• hhireno
    10 years ago

Ooo, what an interesting idea. I used to like to tread water in my sister's pool. Sadly, she moved from that house and the new owners did not offer me a pool pass. My problem with big, public pools are they are too cold for me.

When I'm down in HHI I'll give treading water another try. The water there is warm in the fall. If I like it, I can join an indoor, hopefully warm, pool around here so I can add to my exercise repertoire.

Thanks for the suggestion.

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hh, I sure hope you get a chance to give it a try. You will be amazed at what it does for you as far as a total workout. Also the benefit to your abs is amazing. You can vary the arm movements and the leg movements. Also add in some of the exercises on the other links you will find. I only do the " V" formation...it is really tough on the abs and I can't hold it very long but it is amazing. A lot of bang for the buck. Please let me know what you think.

I hate public pools too...if I didn't have my own I wouldn't be doing this...I just used the AU pool for rehab as it was in Feb !! I didn't live in this house till 2002 so have had fun in the sun ever since. c

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

I am very interested in this. Due to bad knees, and limited mobility due to my lymphedema affected legs, AND my slowly healing broken back, I can't do much aerobic exercise. My PT told me to start doing water walking, and I plan to check out some of the places she listed in a couple weeks.

I'm not exactly sure I followed the article...I can't quite get my head around what it was describing. I might try to see if there are some youtube vids. Thanks for the suggestion!

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey pesky..I was thinking of you when I started this thread. All they are saying is to move your legs back and forth front to back like scissors. But you don't have to do it that way at all. All you do is pretend you are walking in the water while moving your arms out at your sides. Have you ever tread water ? Use whatever form works for you at the beginning. You don't need to do fancy movements. Once you get used to it you can vary your arms and legs. You can do a movement that is exactly like cross-country skiing with the legs and arms swinging in the water and it is perfect ! You may want to look into getting a waist belt to wear since you have had so much trauma. I will link below. It would free you to explore the workouts and then you can start going without it when you feel ready. Good Luck and please let me know how it goes. There are a lot of youtube videos on it too . Good Idea. c

Here is a link that might be useful: this is the kind I had..there are others

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

As part of my continuing rehab therapy after having both knees replaced a year ago I started water exercises. The timing was perfect since our hospital just opened a Health and Wellness Center about 5 miles from home. It's a beautiful facility - not cheap, but my health insurance gives me $20. off each month which helps.

It has all the typical exercise machines but I love the pools and have been doing water exercises since December. Twice a week I do Aqua Boot Camp in the regular pool and one day a week I have an Arthritis Foundation warm water class - 94 degrees is lovely.

I don't know what method they use to purify the water but there isn't a chlorine odor and my swim suits have held up really well. In the summer I supplement my classes in my own pool - but since I'm in the Philly area that's only for 4 months.

Many of the exercises we do are mentioned in that article you linked. We also use noodles and Styrofoam hand weights to increase the resistance. It is a great workout yet minimizes stress on the joints.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    10 years ago

Caroline! Thank you !!. I have a pool. " yeah, yeah, I should swim more." Never thought about treading, even though I watch gd in awe as she plays water pole, seeing what a workout those " egg beaters" are.
    Checked youtube for more info, and tried it out this morning. Wow! Great aerobic exercise, and stretching. Thank you for this!!!!
    Marti( LC) ;>)

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mc I am so glad you are able to have such a great facility available to you ! What a treat. It is definitely a great workout and as you say no stress at all.

Marti YEAH !! I am so glad you are enjoying it. I have to laugh when I read that you don't need to sweat to do this workout...ha...I drip sweat when I do the treading. And the "V" is really hard in the water. I am not buoyant at all and have to really work to stay up. I love the water polo but that is SO hard . I admire the kids that can do it. I hope that you will all check back and keep us all posted on how the treading goes. c

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    10 years ago

Glad you got a lol, but not me re. No sweat. Well, hmmm, it was a workout, so pretty sure my head was sweating. All else under water, pretty much!

• awm03
    10 years ago

I'm a long-time water treader, learned in a college swim class years ago, and I always do it when I get in a pool to stay in practice. When my kids were too old for the kiddie pool, but still needed a lot of pool supervision, I would get in the pool and tread water so I could watch them, be fairly close to them, and get exercise at the same time.

The nice thing about treading water is, you can carve out your own space or move to another if the pool's full of kids, and you don't have to wait until adult swim for exercise in the pool.

• trailrunner
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Go awm ! Exactly...it is the perfect exercise and as you say ' no space needed :) '. So let's all check in in Sept and see how it has gone for a month. c