Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinam61

Did you see Miley Cyrus on the MTV awards?

tinam61
10 years ago

All I can say is how RIDICULOUS????!!! WHAT is she doing? Yes, we all know she is grown up - she doesn't have to prove herself. She has become totally crass and tasteless. Her outfits, her hair, and holy crap - dancing teddy bears????? Humping, crotch grabbing, that silly big hand - she used on herself and Robin Thicke, who dreams this stuff up??? I'm no prude, but to me, in no shape, form or fashion was that performance "sexy". It had me laughing out loud. Did you happen to see the clip of Will Smith's family watching her performance? Priceless!

(Speaking of Robin Thicke, what'd you think of that striped suit???)

If you didn't see it, google for a good Monday morning laugh.

tina

Comments (39)

• pammyfay
    10 years ago

Didn't watch, glad I didn't, but googled it. I should've known better!

It was ridiculous. She's trying so hard to put distance between herself now and her Disney image that she's gone off the ledge. I do wonder if there are drugs involved, considering some of the stuff I've read about.

Robin Thicke's suit? They should throw him in jail for that. He'd already be appropriately dressed.

Jaden Smith's expression was great -- like, "You made me shower for THIS?"

• golddust
    10 years ago

I googled it. More Celebrity acting out alert. I read (Huffington Post) that the Will Smith picture wasn't taken during Myley's song. It was actually taken during the opening act and represented gum chewing, nose itching and intense concentration.

Whatever. Good news, bad news. Does not matter. Just stay in news.

• maddielee
    10 years ago

Gaga seemed tame compared to Miley.

I didn't mind Thicke's stripes because it was a costume.

ML

• User
    10 years ago

I don't plan to view it, but.... is anyone really surprised? These people are as dumb as dirt. What else would you expect?

Adding that the girl is also completely talentless. She can't sing-- sounds terrible without autotune, can't dance, and is almost viciously ugly---- proof of cultural bankruptcy all by herself. I know older folk didn't like Elvis, but at least he could carry a tune!

This post was edited by kswl on Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 13:38

• blfenton
    10 years ago

I saw a picture and read a review - don't need to see a video. I had already added Miley Cyrus to my ever-growing list of celebrities or celebrity wannabees (whatever happened to Paris Hilton. I'm ever hopeful that the Kardashians follow her into obscurity) that I don't care about one bit.

• no_green_thumb
    10 years ago

Saw a short clip - more than enough. But the show was written, produced and choreographed -- I surely blame those people as well, maybe more. She couldn't have done it if they didn't let it happen -all about ratings and sadly, this is what we have now become. Totally disgusting.

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

Her father must be so proud.

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

I didnt watch since I havr zero interest in todays pop music scene (i couldnttell you who Robin Thick was if you tortured me!).

However, I had heard that Miley was planning to up the shock factor ante. I did see the clip and thought that the entire production was awful. Choreography? Ummm...not much. I suspect Miley chose to do her own thing anyway.

Maybe this backlash in the Twitterverse and social media will move to make her irrelevant. Seems that the Nsync reunion outshown her anyway.

MCs act is already beginning to be yesterday's news. Her Hannah Montanah fans are well beyond her now anyway, and she no longer has much influence over many of the fans. Not with Taylor Swift stealing her original spotlight.

I just wish, however, that the whole `twerking `/stripper dancing thing was over with already.

• nancybee_2010
    10 years ago

Of course she's never thought about it coming back to haunt her when she's a mom and her kids come across it.

I think she's narcissistic and incredibly attention-seeking.

It seems like something bad happens to many people who were child stars, like they MUST have constant attention, no matter what, and if they don't get it they turn to drugs and become train wrecks.

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

Well I guess the people have spoken.
    Although her antics rivaled those of Madonna and Lady GaGa,
    perhaps she will realize a crucial component to be a singer.

The votes were in prior to her performance display. Lost in 3 categories .

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

I know the point of it all was to be shocking but she just looked like a silly little awkward girl trying to imitate a stripper.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    10 years ago

Well, reading articles about the performance (well past my bedtime) I did learn 2 new vocabulary words....."twerking" and "molly"

I'm so hip now lol.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Bad attention is better than no attention, and I think ske knows exactly what she's doing. Besides, sex sells. TV, the Internet, and newspapers love the stuff! . It's not much different than reality shows featuring wives with obnoxious behavior, or a family with accents so thick you can hardly understand them living a life most of us might find disgusting. It's them, not us, who are laughing all the way to the bank.

• Faron79
    10 years ago

I'm not much of a prude either....and, like most RBAM's, I don't mind well-done "stripper-dancing". THIS however, only qualifies as "Odd"...AT BEST.
    I CRINGE when one thinks of her AGE....Uffda.

Sadly, many youth may now think..."Wow, that was really good!"

>>

Faron

• User
    10 years ago

I watched a few bits to see and that was enough. How awful, awkward, and ridiculous! Wow! I bet her parents, if they try to leave the house, are walking around with a bag over their head. We know she did it for the shock factor but I don't get why you'd want bad attention. People are certainly making fun of her. I bet the late night shows will have fun with this. And that Thicke guy, (I know who he is but nothing about him) she wasnâÂÂt up there alone! Creepy and trashy. I canâÂÂt stand Madonna or Lady Gaga either. IâÂÂm so tired of celebs and singers trying to out do everyone else with being âÂÂcreativeâ and âÂÂedgyâÂÂ. We have basic cable tv because most of whatâÂÂs on is mindless garbage. Can wait to see what makes it on tv once my kids are older.

This post was edited by sheesharee on Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 23:21

• alex9179
    10 years ago

Good Golly! How OLD are you people?

Have you forgotten that people in their teens and 20s act out? I'm over 40 and still remember why I acted out in my teens and 20s. Shoot. I don't think I started to understand adulthood until my late 20s.

I LOVE the "her parents must be so proud" comments I've seen rampaging over the net. Good heavens, I don't keep up with celebrity gossip much but even I have heard about the the "not-so-married" behavior she's had to deal with concerning her parents. Pile on the extreme control Disney exerts over its "stars", the expectations, the money, and her romantic relationship issues. You've got quite the cocktail and her "performance" was a perfect example of acting out against all of those forces. Pretty much text book.

Personally, I think she was sending someone (probably more than one) a message. She's knows what you've been doing and this is how she sees it.

Look beyond the shock value and it's not all that unusual for someone her age confronted with betrayal. It seemed to be a parody of all the things that have been cycling through the rumor mill about her and her family. Unfortunately, she's national. All her dirty laundry has been public consumption for a long time.

I respectfully disagree about her talent. She's an amazing singer (check out her backyard sessions on youtube). Just wasted on this whole E! - media crud.

Elvis, Michael Jackson, Prince, Madonna, and countless other acts have performed provocatively. We all managed to get through it.

• redcurls
    10 years ago

I can't STAND to hear the voice on that girl. I'm so glad my g'kids don't play her songs anymore. I guess I've been listening and holding my ears for ten years or so since Hannah Montana! I just find her voice grating. I did just go check out the YouTube, and didn't do much more than laugh. R e a l l y ! !

• caminnc
    10 years ago

kswl, I couldn't have said it better!

• User
    10 years ago

Why do you think our age has anything to do with our opinions? It has nothing to do with mine. I know how she's acting is so-called normal for her age but that doesn't mean it's acceptable. Why is it ok to go on tv and act like an idiot?

• blfenton
    10 years ago

My opinion may or may not have to do with my age and I sure hope that this is not so-called normal for her age. I have nieces her age and my sons girlfriends are a little older than her and envisioning them doing that type of blatantly sexual performance in public fills me with disgust. It belongs in a strip club.

• flowerpwr45
    10 years ago

I never saw the MTV awards, but I actually think she CAN sing :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Jolene

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

I thought of that song too, flower, and I also think she is beautiful.
    However, I didn't watch the clip/award show but have read the bits in the headlines and think, like Brooke, she is desperate. Possibly spiraling down in the worst of ways. Being a child star then transitioning must be horrendous based on the fatalities.

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

She CAN sing yet she chooses NOT to.
    It was all about making herself talked about.(Winner !)
    Leading with sex rather then her voice.
    Simulating sex goes way beyond Madonna kissing Britney and the Janet Jackson nip slip.
    The pg14 rating MTV gave the show was only a grab at audience.

• annac54
    10 years ago

I'm no prude either, but sorry, calling what MC did "stripping" gives striptease a bad name. I really haven't heard any of her songs, so can't say if she can sing or not. She just looked like a spoiled brat trying to say f*** you all.

I'm a fan of Lady Gaga, (although not of everything she's done). However, she's got talent, something MC showed none of in that appearance. I can understand that she's grown up in the business and maybe has a lot of problems. I'm just not sure that everyone watching needed to witness it.

• tinam61
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Shee for the laugh. I totally agree with you.

Alex, just so you know - I do think she can sing. I never said anything about her voice - just her actions. And yes, I can see she is acting out, sending a message, whatever. That doesn't change my opinion in that how she acted was ridiculous. I mean really, it made me laugh! The teddy bears???? That stupid expression she kept doing with her tongue stuck out? It just made me laugh. And it doesn't matter how old I am.

tina

• alex9179
    10 years ago

Age: SOME of the comments took me back to the "Mean Girls" high school yrs (Lord of the Flies and hormones) or reminded me of a certain older group who find it easy to pass judgement and will gleefully rip someone apart (lack of hormones and can't remember what it was like).

I'm sure my past and recent experiences with the above have totally colored my perception of the bandwagon. The only reason I took a defensive stance is because I think she's wounded and I felt the need to present an alternative to the more biting remarks.

I did a lot of crazy-a** things in my 20s that I absolutely would not want to repeat. The dance floor at some of the clubs I went to were seething with overt sexual moves...20 yrs ago. Some of them have changed or have been named, but what she did on stage was not new. Wasn't new when I was going out, either.

Tasteless? Yes. Not even remotely attractive? Yes. A really unfortunate use of dancers and costumes? Oh my, yes! It was like a Furries convention gone horribly wrong.

• annac54
    10 years ago

I did laugh at the expressions on the faces of some of the chorus dancers. It was like "OMG, I'm going to be forever preserved in video as part of this mess".

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

Both her singles climbed the charts.
    An album coming out next month.
    Most tweeted in the WORLD.

She comes from a family of performers
    who know how to work the crowd and get noticed.

I refuse to believe that it was not calculated.

I feel sorry for the performances that where over-shadowed.
    But that's the game.

Don't blame the player~
    Blame the game.

This post was edited by forboystoo on Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 20:11

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I don't have tv, but get my news online and saw all the buzz about this...haven't seen the video, but after all the comments I read, I saw this and it seems very thoughtful and fitting:

Here is a link that might be useful: Letter to Miley Cyrus

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Pammyfay, you said it in your 2nd paragraph~she's trying too hard. The kid got used to being on the tube every day, making public appearances, concerts, you name it. Since HM ended, what has she really done to stay in the limelight consistently? She's on a talk show now and then, maybe concerts, but she isn't getting getting the notoriety she did during the HM years, and she's becoming a publicity *hore who will take it any way she can get it.

Oh, and her last thought is being any sort of roll model. She's too busy ripping her clothes apart so they can be more revealing.

• User
    10 years ago

I wrote earlier that "I know how she's acting is so-called normal for her age..." I'd like to correct that. I don't feel that is the norm.

Alex I'll agree that what she did on stage wasn't new but she wasn't in a night club, she was on tv.

And as far as how things were in the past, that's my point and a concern for the future (I don't lose sleep over it at night). Elvis was 'edgy' and look at everything now. For crying out loud what does that LEAVE for the future?!

I could yammer on but I won't.

This post was edited by sheesharee on Wed, Aug 28, 13 at 3:12

• golddust
    10 years ago

I read an article by a guest op-Ed in Rolling Stone that was thought provoking. I don't know enough about Miley Cyrus to form an opinion but if that performance was a Parody and a statement about what females must do in order to maintain their fame, there is much work to be done within the industry.

Here is a link that might be useful: Miley Cyrus performance a Parody?

• User
    10 years ago

I'm very, very far from the demographic that MC is marketing to.
    That said, I listened to some of her music while in the pool this week - had some Daft Punk in that mix too :-)

What I think about (nothing) Justin Beiber, silly songs like 'Fridays', or Taylor Swift's latest romance makes no difference in the world of celebrity/music marketing.

Elvis Presley was scandalous and his performances were considered obscene back then, something I find absolutely hilarious.

Madonna pushed boundaries back in the day too and now it's nothing to look back at those performances.
    MC's VMA performance was just a live version of the video she released in June and that was also a big deal back *then* - a whopping 2 months ago.

MC's video is a lot crazier, imo, but I still find it entertaining

Here is a link that might be useful: Miley Cyrus - We Can't Stop Video

• luckygal
    10 years ago

I never watch the MTV awards (I'm in a very different entertainment demographic) but did see part of the clip on the morning news. IMO wiser heads should have prevailed when this was planned. Might not hurt her career, actually might help it, but it's still a distasteful display to many.

My pre-teen and teenage GD's are away right now but I'll be interested to see what they think of it. They were big Hannah Montana fans. And also their parents opinions will be interesting.

Olychick, thanks for posting that Letter to Miley Cyrus. I hope someone in her entourage sees it and shows her.

• User
    10 years ago

It would be impossible for me to think less of Miley Cyrus than I do, so her latest antics haven't changed my opinion one way or the other. I am the one who denigrated her singing, simply because I think her voice is poor quality. I have heard a live clip and she is pathetic without the auto tuned studio help. Contrast that with someone like Linda Rondstadt, whose fame was earned with an extraordinary talent. There are several YouTube videos of her singing Blue Bayou with just a piano accompaniment on the stage of a large venue--- that's something most performers would never do.

Cyrus is an undereducated child of undereducated parents who has great wealth and celebrity for no good reason. She acts like a twit because that what she is.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

There are a lot of idiots in Hollywood. Dumb as foxes, they follow the money. They don't care, if people are interested and watching. That whole capitalist scene a sad representation of our society. Not to mention a horrible influence. Particularly on developing minds.

• trancegemini_wa
    10 years ago

I don't watch the mtv awards so I watched it on utube and all I could think is in 10 yrs she will look back on that "performance" and cringe like the rest of us. Not because it was raunchy, but because it was crass and stupid, trying way too hard to be sexy. and what is with that tongue of hers? is that meant to look sexy? miley, put your tongue back in your mouth, it looks so stupid!

I think it's really sad that female singers can't rely on their talent to sell records and have to resort to this.

Just like robin thicke felt the need to have topless models with nude panties in his blurred lines video. still trying to understand that one...

This post was edited by trancegemini_wa on Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 0:37

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

Was this a parody, as in the link golddust posted, is MC the voice of a generation ? I've yet to hear or read from young people who might possibly see this performance as an exaggerated view of the hypersexualized society we live in-

the shock factor has to have been calculated in advance by MC and her team- and it worked.

• trancegemini_wa
    10 years ago

" Was this a parody, as in the link golddust posted, is MC the voice of a generation ? "

I honestly don't think that much thought went into it. I think it makes more sense that miley is trying to shed her good girl image just like britney and christina A did.

from the link:" The thing is, Miley failed so spectacularly that it's almost easier to believe she screwed it up on purpose than to accept that she really thought she was being hot."

she does the same things in her music videos, the tongue forever hanging out, the leotards, the hip hop gestures etc all designed to be cool and sexy. she wants to be perceived as a bad girl

If MC wanted to save her image then she would tell everyone it was a parody, but that's not coming from her, it's coming from another source that hopes this is a parody. But, that don't make it so.....

This post was edited by trancegemini_wa on Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 8:17