Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchendetective

Best Kindel for someone with vision issues?

kitchendetective
10 years ago

Would the Kindle savvy folks out there please point me toward the best Kindle for someone who needs larger print because of vision issues. I am completely Kindle ignorant. Thank you!

Comments (11)

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

Kindle DX if issues are severe. Otgerwise, I'd suggest a paperwhite as you can enlarge the font on the kindle. Of course I am assuming you just want e reader functionality...

• kitchendetective
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Um, as opposed to what other functionality? What else do they do?

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

They also make kindle fire. That is more of a tablet with web browsing capabilities. However, if you wanted that I'd suggest the iPad...

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

For best readability in all kinds of conditions I would recommend the Kindle Paperwhite. You can change the font size and the brightness of the screen, which is not reflective like the screens on tablets, including the Kindle Fire.

• deniseandspike
    10 years ago

I have vision issues and would recommend any of the kindles other than the Fire. I also have strength issues in my arms/hands and the Fire is just too heavy. My husband has one and doesn't like it. He ends up using his iPad with the Kindle app.

Lately, even with my vision issues, I tend to use the Kindle app on my iPhone to read. I blow the font up and it's very comfortable for me to hold my iPhone to read. It's a lot of page turning but it's so much lighter and I can read at night with the lights off in bed.

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

Since the Paperwhite has an adjustable backlight, it is great for reading in the dark, and is very light weight.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kindle Paperwhite

This post was edited by terriks on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 15:55

• mary_lu_gw
    10 years ago

I bought my husband the kindle paperwhite and he loves it! He is not tech savvy at all. Also loves to read in bed with the lights off as it does not wake me up!

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

The issue becomes for the OP how Severe are the vision issues. My grandmother is not comfortable reading on the paper white despite the variable font. She needs the bulkier DX. However if the vision issues are just standard near or far sightedness etc then the paper white is perfect.

• mary_lu_gw
    10 years ago

I have been thinking of buying one for my sister who has vision issues due to diabetes. I think the lighting, non-glare and variable font will make it much easier than most books.

• kitchendetective
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much, all. I am forwarding the entire thread to friend for research.

• camlan
    10 years ago

I believe that Kindles are available in-store at places like Best Buy and Staples and maybe Target? My public library also has two different types of Kindle available for loan.

It might be best if the person with the visual disability could go a store and check out the various Kindles, to determine which one would work best. Or borrow one from a friend or library, to see what works and what doesn't.