Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisbonplace

magnification mirrors

RoseAbbey
9 years ago

I have a family wedding coming up soon, so in preparation to look my best, I thought I would look at some makeup videos. I came across Lisa Eldrige ones, they are very good. One thing she says is that she checks her makeup in a 10x magnification mirror.If her makeup looked good in that mirror she knew she would be fine in outdoor lighting. I have been using a 2x one for years but I thought I would pick up a 10x as well since my eyesight is not what it used to be.

I was prepared for a shock seeing myself in that mirror, it wasnt as bad as I had anticipated but what I find is that I get dizzy looking into the mirror and I cant see an overall view of myself just certain parts of my face. I have to get really close to the mirror to have a clear view. I think I may return this mirror and get one less magnified...may 5x. Anyone use these mirrors.

Comments (26)

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

I'm up to a 15X and love it. There is a light at the bottom to enhance mirror vision. Made by Floxlite and 10". The bulbs can be expensive, but found them at an auto store for less than .50. I tried the mirrors with light around the edges and it didn't come close to this one for detail. BBB has them (use their 20% off coupon), or Amazon. Have used this mirror for 8 years.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

OMG. I think I'd like a 0.5x mirror. Do they make those?

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I have a Conair lighted mirror that is mounted to the side of the vanity and has a swing-out mag mirror. I have had it several years and don't even remember what the magnification is but I really like it. It has different lighting (day, night, office). I also have a cheap-o from Ulta that I think is 10x. It has suction cups on the back which I use it for travel (no lights). You are right - I have to get fairly close to it or you really can't see well but then I need reading glasses to see anything close. Mostly I use it for eye make-up.

• RoseAbbey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I also find I am applying too little makeup because the magnification makes it look like alot.

• RoseAbbey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I also find I am applying too little makeup because the magnification makes it look like alot.

• tuesday_2008
    9 years ago

I have one in my vanity drawer that I use occasionally in the bathroom. I will put a swing-out reversible (plain and magnifying) on the wall when I re-do my bathroom if I get up enough nerve to NOT use a triple mirror medicine cabinet. Gotta have something to see the back and sides of my hair.

I have an awesome, small purse size magnifying mirror that holds a set of tweezers also. That is my go-to mirror for tweezing eyebrows and chin whiskers. I do it in the car when DH is driving :).

• suero
    9 years ago

I originally was going to install a 5x mirror, but I found that the distortion factor was too great. I use a 3x mirror, and that is more than adequate magnification, with or without glasses.

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

I use this one....

Here is a link that might be useful: Mirror

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

I love mine but it is for close up viewing to say, tweeze your brows and you cannot stand back and see the big picture. For me, that is what I need but if you don't like it then take it back. Go to BBB and try them all out, they have them out to see. I think mine is 10X but may only be 8X I can't remember.

• hhireno
    9 years ago

Whatever magnification you pick, remember to be kind to yourself and not focus on any now magnified skin flaw. They magnify everything so any imperfection becomes glaringly obvious - in the mirror, but not to the casual observer.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

My makeup mirror is flat on one side and magnified on the other...I rarely use the magnified as I find it very distorting....I'll only use it if I need really close up to see something particular that's small.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Mtn -- LOL.

I have enough natural light in my bathroom so that I have a pretty good idea about I'll look outdoors. Sometimes it's still shocking though when I pull down the visor mirror in the car and see what I really look like.

As I get older -- and I think this is true for most women -- I think less is more when it comes to makeup. I've been surprised to gradually discover that what makes a huge difference is lipstick or some kind of lip color. Without It, I look washed out. I never wore lipstick when I was younger! Now I'm obsessed with finding the right one.

• Jamie
    9 years ago

Ha Ha Mtn.

Interesting about lipstick sueb20. I feel like lip color is too much for me, and that the best thing I can do is cover up brown spots, which means more makeup as I age rather than less.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

The lipstick I'm wearing is basically to replace the pigment (or whatever it's called) that has disappeared from my lips as I age. So I'm not sporting bright red lips, just "lip colored" lips. Ha.

Don't even get me started on brown spots. I have been using a combination of things that seems to be working a bit, but my mass of freckles and sun spots seems to have become part of me.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

Jamies - are you using a retinol product for your age spots? Instead of more makeup - you CAN dramatically reduce the spots if not get rid of them all together.

I definitely need lipstick. I am fair with dark hair and eyes. Bright shades actually look best on me so what I do is wear something sheer. I can remember as an older teen my mom telling me "put some lipstick on - you look pale" LOL.

I always use a magnifying mirror when applying make-up, although I'm not sure what strength it is.

• luckygal
    9 years ago

I have a magnifying mirror because it's on the back of a hand mirror but never use it. The day anyone looks at me thru a magnifying glass is the day I write that person off my friend/acquaintance list.

While I want to look my best I will not agonize over the natural process of aging. I do what I can but will not succumb to a magnifying mirror to see my flaws. I only use a tinted lip gloss and blush as makeup and feel that is enough. Haven't used 'paint' in decades and never again will. The best way to look healthy is to BE healthy.

Marketing has turned too many women into slaves of the fashion and cosmetic industries and it's really sad.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Tina, my mother used to say the same thing!

• RoseAbbey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So I returned the 10x mirror and bought a 5x one. I really like it, I can see my whole face without distoration, great for apply makeup.

luckygal, I would consider blush and tinted lip gloss as part of "paint" Using a magnifing mirror is not agonizing over the aging process!

I agree about the lipstick. I am looking for a nice sheer rose color right now. "Any suggestions?

• kswl2
    9 years ago

I have a wall mounted 5x mag mirror that flips to a regular one, but it doesn't have light, so every year it is less useful. I did recently buy lighted tweezers and they are fantastic!

Sue, when you find lip colored lipstick, please share. That is exactly what I have been looking for for about ten years!

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Kswl, the lipstick I've found that is closest to a "nothing" color on my lips is Nars Dolce Vita (I think that's right, or some name that's very similar). When I want a little more oomph, I use Gipsy (yes, I think that's how Nars spells it). It looks scary red but goes on more sheer.

I recently found a Revlon Colorstay lip color that I like a lot, but can't remember the name of the color.

I have a couple of Burt's Bees tinted lip balms that are nice for a quick bit of sheer color, too.

• Deeby
    9 years ago

The most important tip about any mirror: Never look down !

• marlene_2007
    9 years ago

LOL Deeby! I learned that the hard way :-)

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Thanks, Sueb20, Nars Dolce Vita is on it's way! I have tried Burt's Bees but it doesn't have much staying power.

• Deeby
    9 years ago

Marlene, the first time I plucked my brows in daylight on the patio (I can't see well enough to do it in the house) I was depressed for days...

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Kswl, I am never without a tube of Bobbi Brown 'Nude' lip gloss. I have other colors of BB lipstick, but always slap on this lip gloss over any lip color or by itself and it stays on for a long time.

• Sheeisback_GW
    9 years ago

I'll keep this info tucked away when I look into buying a mag mirror.

As for lipsticks that are a good lip color with more oomph, I really like using Maybelline Make Me Pink then layering Clinique Tenderheart over top. I find MMP too, well...pink for my liking even though it's light. The TH is ok, but more brown. I think they're awesome paired together and I've been sporting it with everything lately.