Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
no_green_thumb

Smartphone Choices?? iPhone?? Droid??

no_green_thumb
10 years ago

Thinking I need to upgrade my phone. I am probably one of the last on the planet with a phone needing to text without a keyboard.
I have been trying to research. I know the iPhone is an Apple product and Droid is generic for many different brands, LG, Samsung, etc.
I tried the search function here but it didn't work, so I apologize if this has been discussed before.
I want something with a large enough screen, easy to use, etc. basically for some apps, camera, internet, email, texting, etc.
I went to the Verizon site and there were about 80 different phones to choose from!!
I use Windows on my desktop, have a Nexus tablet (which is Google) - and I am not tied into either one of those.
My DIL has an iPhone 4S and loves it, a few of my kids have Droids.
If you have an opinion to share that would help me narrow down my choices, I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Comments (17)

• Boopadaboo
    10 years ago

Hands down. iphone. So much easier to use. Siri is great. there are lots of apps. If you use an ipad/ipod it is all the same. I HATED my droid. never used any features. I thought all smart phones were stupid. :) then Nextel stopped servicing our area and I was forced to get a new phone. DH got me an iphone. Love it! :)

• User
    10 years ago

Dont bother getting anything other than an iPhone.

• golddust
    10 years ago

DD has a Samsung Droid. Her battery doesn't last as long as my iPhone, nor does it charge quickly. I've seen her screen freeze up too. My vote is for an iPhone.

I let my GGS, 20 months, use my phone (with rules and an Otter box). DD would never let him use her phone because of fear of messing it up. I don't worry about that with the iPhone. I'm certain he can't hurt anything I can't fix and he hasn't. Luckily he doesn't know my Apple ID because I have found that he has tried (accidentally) to purchase apps.

• golddust
    10 years ago

DD has a Samsung Droid. Her battery doesn't last as long as my iPhone, nor does it charge quickly. I've seen her screen freeze up too. My vote is for an iPhone.

I let my GGS, 20 months, use my phone (with rules and an Otter box). DD would never let him use her phone because of fear of messing it up. I don't worry about that with the iPhone. I'm certain he can't hurt anything I can't fix and he hasn't. Luckily he doesn't know my Apple ID because I have found that he has tried (accidentally) to purchase apps.

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

I'll be the dissenter. I love my new Samsung Galaxy S4. Since you already have a Nexus tablet, you already know the Android system, and you can use the same apps on both devices. Plus all of your gmail contacts, calendar and Google Drive will automatically sync with it. The screen is larger than the iPhone, and Google Now is a great feature. It also has SVoice that you can use like Siri. The camera is awesome with tons of different settings, including my favorite -Beauty Face. ;)
    You can even take pictures using voice commands.
    I chose this phone over the other Android options, because it is considered the best Android phone out there right now, (actually CNet rates it outstanding) and is widely distributed. All major carriers have it, so there are lots of accessories available for it.
    I previous had a Motorola Droid Razr, which was also a great phone and I never had any problems with it.

Here is a link that might be useful: CNet Verizon phones reviews

• golddust
    10 years ago

I'm going to disagree with myself in my last post and change my vote to side with Terriks. If you already know a system, stick with it. If you have other devices that will sync with a Droid, definately go for it. I have an iPad so my iPhone syncs with it. I love that feature.

The iPhone 5 has a larger screen than the 4 series but not as large as the Samsung Droid.

• Boopadaboo
    10 years ago

Ha me too! I missed the part about your tablet. :)

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Two more votes for the Iphone (hubby and me). We both love ours. He uses his for business also.

However, Terriks did make a good point. I have an ipad but I rarely sync.

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

I have a windows phone and love it. Great battery life and large screen, amazing pictures. My youngestson had a windows phone then switched to a Droid and hates it, will be switching back. Other son has an iphone but he's been drinking their kook-aid for a while now ;-)

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

Mine syncs automatically. I have used Gmail for years, and whenever I change a contact in my gmail, or a date on my calendar it changes on my all my devices.
    If you want a phone with an even bigger screen, you could consider the Samsung Note 2.

Here is a link that might be useful: Samsung Note 2

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

My first smartphone was a Droid and I liked it just fine. I switched to an Iphone because my lap and desktops are Apple and the ease of Syncing is so important.

• judiegal6
    10 years ago

I've had Iphones 4, 4s and 5 and was very happy with them. I just switched over to the Samsung Galaxy 4 (first droid) and I'm happy with that too. I still have the newest Ipad so now I have the best of both worlds.

• funnygirl
    10 years ago

Motorola Razr M here for about 8 month (two other droids before this one). Love it SO much! I talked to a lot of the mostly young sales associates at Verizon before deciding on this phone (was contemplating an iphone). I would start by saying, "I suppose you have an iphone and would recommend that"? Almost every single one said they wouldn't have an iphone. One said they have an iphone and a droid. I have a friend I talk with on her iphone and it is always acting up.

I'm not putting the iphone down, I may get one next time; I just don't think it's the only game in town. My kids have iphones as do most of my friends and they seem happy. To me it's tweedle dee-tweedle dum.

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

I have an LG something, not sure what it is, apparently the latest model, and I do not like it. The screen is ginormous, and it's got all the bells and whistles, but it's taken me so long to get used to it. I have found that the battery does not last as long as my old iPhone. However, it does tend to keep apps open in the backround, so that sucks out the battery.

I also find that some settings change-for example, if I turn it off, it automatically goes to silent. I have trouble setting the volume-just lots of problems. But I think it's because I haven't spent the time to learn it. I had asked DS to help me, but he's not familiar with Android systems (all my kids are iPhoners). I had an iPhone 4, and when I was ready to upgrade, there was fantastic deal on this LG, so I went with it (paid $50 for it with all the accessories thru Costco-everywhere else was over $200 even with the upgrade).

All my music is on iTunes, so I can't get it on the Android-but I've heard that there is some way you can do that-just not sure how. Some day I may learn all the features, but if I knew then what I know now, I'd have stayed with my iPhone.

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

Here's a link that tells how to sync iTunes with Android.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to sync iTunes with Android

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

DH and I both have iPhone 5 and love them. He was on an old Blackberry. I had an iPhone 4 for a little 2 years, and it recently died. Speaking of which, these phones do not last a long time at all. Expect the batteries and motherboards to go out.

My siblings love their Samsung Galaxies, though. I think the S4 is pretty much the hottest phone right now. If you want an S3, you can get a good deal.

• no_green_thumb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to all of you who responded. There are so many options that I was totally overwhelmed. One of the things I did not think about is syncing with the tablet. Need to decide if I will even do that. I so under use the capabilities of phones, computers, etc. Thanks again.