Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msrose

Pap smear/pelvic exam after hysterectomy?

msrose
9 years ago

I had a hysterectomy in 2012. I can't remember how I phrased my question, but I asked my doctor if I still needed to have a pap smear or check up and she said yes. I finally got around to researching it and it seems you don't need a pap smear if you had a total hysterectomy for a non-cancerous condition. They can still test for vaginal cancer, but the rate of it is very low compared to cervical cancer. If you've had a hysterectomy, do you still get a pap smear? Do you not get a pap smear, but go in for some other type of exam? I really don't see the purpose, but maybe I'm missing something.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pap smear after hysterectomy

Comments (13)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

My Mom had a total everything (noncancerous), and they said she should still come in, but I don't think she did. They don't even do pap smears annually any more since they've associated it with HPV. I do have an issue with my external parts which my gyno diagnosed, biopsied and treats. So you can have other stuff happen, but I'd think that unless you were having specific issues, and as long as you have regular visits with a primary care physician, who can do the rectal/stool stuff, I wouldn't think it's necessary. I know some women who only go to the gyno for all their primary screenings too, so you should definitely do one or the other.

• osagecounty
    9 years ago

They don't even do pap smears annually any more since they've associated it with HPV.

Associated it with? What does that mean?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

From the link below:

Virtually all cervical cancers are caused by HPV infections, with just two HPV types, 16 and 18, responsible for about 70 percent of all cases.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nat'l Cancer Institute: HPV & Cancer

• mboston_gw
    9 years ago

Well, I had a total hysterectomy in 1986, at the age of 36, non-cancerous, but I did have an ovarian cycst and endometriosis (sp?). They took everything plus my appendix!

I still went to the GYN doctor each year until about 2000. Didn't have a PAP each year, probably every other year until I went off HRT in 2005. I did have a physical vaginal exam each year (with my PCP and still do. Now they do a PAP every 3 years. Not sure where they take the tissue from but you can have endometrial cancer still.

I think if you are on HRT, it would be good to continue being checked. If not, then once every 3 years shouldn't be an issue.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Pelvics should be a part of a woman's health care even after a total hysterectomy. The doctor can look for other health issues, too.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

From the mayo clinic....

Here is a link that might be useful: Pap smear necessary?

• osagecounty
    9 years ago

from the Mayo Clinic ... However, there are other risk factors for developing cervical cancer, such as family history and smoking, so talk to your doctor if you have concerns.

Here is a link that might be useful: do virgins need pap smears?

• msrose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone. I think I will skip it for now. I just don't get what they would be checking for if my uterus, cervix, and ovaries are gone. Of course, if I have any problems, I won't hesitate to go in.

• bluerdgddrs
    9 years ago

I would urge you to go. I had a hysterectomy and my dr definitely said to keep coming in for yearly because they screen for other things as well at that appointment. It's only a couple of minutes to be rest assured that you are healthy. You're worth it!

• hhireno
    9 years ago

msrose,
    Are you planning on skipping the whole GYN visit or just the pelvic exam portion? What about a breast exam if you stop going to the GYN? Who writes the order for your annual mammo? If your primary care doc will do that then it would be okay to skip the GYN but you might be better served by someone who does 15 breast exams a day versus someone who does 2 a month.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

I would rather play it safe than sorry.

• msrose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

blue - Do you know what else your doctor screened for? That's what I'm trying to figure out. I thought the only thing my doctor was doing before was a pap smear. Was she screening for something else and I just didn't know?

hhireno. -That's a good point that I hadn't thought about. I'm sure my PCP would write the prescription for my mammo, but I probably would rather have a breast exam done by my GYN.

• bluerdgddrs
    9 years ago

I'm not sure she was screening for any other cancer cells but I do know that she just wanted to make sure everything had healed properly. Also that's when she does my breast exam and so on and so forth so it's a good overall well being check-up.

I am including this though from the Mayo clinic that I thought answered your question.

Be well, whatever you decide.