Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

What shoes would you wear with this dress?

Sueb20
9 years ago

Yesterday I was shopping with two good friends and found this dress. I tried it on and they both went nuts over it and said it was PERFECT for my upcoming birthday party. Actually about 4-5 other ladies who were shopping also got involved and said it looked great and one even said "it matches your lips!" Okay...so of course I bought it.

The party won't be super fancy or anything, but we will have a DJ and dancing (lots of 80s music!). So I need shoes to be comfortable enough for dancing but I'm short so I can't do flats. I need at least a 1" heel or 2" (but not super high or skinny heel). The party is mid Sept., which is usually pretty warm around here so I think sandals are appropriate still. Any suggestions? What color?

I have never worn a pink dress in my life!

Comments (61)

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Sandals with kitten heels would be my choice. Also, you could do slingbacks in September. I would go with either black or nude.

Nice dress!

• Olychick
    9 years ago

might be too summery? pink might be off? I think they'd look great for dressing down the dress and worth the risk to try the color

MICHAEL Michael Kors
    'Hamilton' Thong Sandal $98 Nordstrom
    pink and salmon? (altho I think the pink is likely off)

kate spade new york
    'sage' pump
    $298.00 Nordstrom

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay, I read somewhere that women with heavy legs shouldn't wear kitten heels. My calves aren't enormous and I don't have cankles (ha) but I do have a chunky lower half (pear shape).

I may have a pair or two of black heels at home that I can wear (at our beach cottage this week). Will need to try them on. I have been poking around online and can't find any nude or nude-ish sandals that I like. Why do so many nude sandals have black or dark brown bottoms/heels? Looks odd to me. If I want nude, I want nude, not a black heel.

I was thinking maybe a subtle gold might act almost as a nude, too.

Just need to find the right one!

I think IRL the dress looks less formal than in the pic. The pic makes it look like it has a bit of a sheen, which it doesn't. It also looks short...but it goes just to my knee.

I wear dressy shoes about twice a year, at least once in the winter, so my typical go-to summer sandals are chunky and casual -- I love Joseph Seibel sandals that have about a 1-1/2" chunky heel. They just fit my foot really well. But they're far too casual for this.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ooh those Kate Spade shoes are adorable but I think I would fall on my face.

These are cute?

Here is a link that might be useful: Silvery but not too...

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, these look comfortable to me, yet fairly dressy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Another option

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Or these!

Here is a link that might be useful: Shiny

• User
    9 years ago

I love the second ones you linked as another option. But I would make sure you can dance without them coming off. I think they'd look great with the dress and strike just the right balance between casual/comfortable and dressy.

• terezosa / terriks
    9 years ago

The Bandolinos look too casual to me. I like the other two better. The Annie Lancasters are nice, and I could see wearing them with something dressy in the winter also, not so with the slide sandals.

This post was edited by terriks on Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 22:53

• Faron79
    9 years ago

Can't believe I looked for a minute for a shoe for ya Sue!

But...If I saw a Woman with that dress, & these shoes...I'd probably look at her a dozen or two times...;-)

Faron

Here is a link that might be useful: JC Silver idea for you SB...:-)

• merrygardener
    9 years ago

Personally, I think all shoes should have the comfort of tennis shoes, so I'd go,with these Dansco beauties!

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

I apologize in advance if this is bad form, but I assume you are looking for honest opinions. All of those shoes you linked to look, well, old lady.

The first pair are the least offensive. However, the styling reads either old lady or little girl. I think the heel is too wide.

The second pair (Anne Klein Olavio) have nice straps but the heel is just too old fashioned.

The last pair (Bandolino Goldenkey) just look like grandma's house shoes.

Based on the style you seem to be going for, I think something along the lines of these shoes is much more stylish, befitting a fun vibrant woman:

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

Agree with Magdelena, those are some serious old lady shoes.

What about something trendy (i.e. youthful?) I love a lot - not all!- of the caged shoe look.
    Here's a low key, barely cage, in a wedge that looks easy enough to wear.

Here is a link that might be useful: shoe Nordstrom

• sas95
    9 years ago

I like the Kate Spade pumps that Olychick linked to, but I am a sucker for pumps. I wear them with everything.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

Or this at shoe buy.
    While Farons shoe choice is lovely, it's not wearable or affordable.

Here is a link that might be useful: shoe

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

Bumble, those are very cute shoes but I think all wrong for Sue since she said she is short with thick calves. Those shoes have too much of a severe cut at the ankle which would make her legs look too short, especially with a dress that hits at the knee. They need to be worn with a short skirt.

Sue, I really think you should try some wedges. Maybe even platform wedges. You can get more height (which will elongate your legs) with a wedge without feeling unstable like you would in a pump.

Something like these:

Here is a link that might be useful: epernay sandals

• tinam61
    9 years ago

I don't like the caged shoes at all. I do like the first pic Magdalena showed. Not sure about that last one - would have to see it on.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

Well, I love those too, mag! I think she might think they are too funky or high but I think they would be great! Perfect!

It is really hard finding a low heel that looks like a heel :-( and is easy to walk in and not old lady. I do that all the time because I'm 6' but if I were short I would be a serious shoeaholic.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I think you need to find something between the Bandolino mules, which make me think of Florida Mah Jhong (sp?) ladies in robes by the pool, and Faron's TMDFM number. (Faron, we need to be ambulatory please.)

I like heels, but I wear only wedges because I find them to be comfy and stable. I think we need to find out how you feel about wedges? They are a bit clunky to dance in, because it's a lot of mass for your foot. But the Epernays above are really pretty and would be very flattering.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have never tried on a wedge! But I will try them. Obviously I am hopeless about dress shoes. Like I said, not much call for them in my casual life! I have worn the same pair of black pumps to DH's office holiday party for about 5 years, maybe more. Sad.

Faron, if I were going to just sit in a chair all night, maybe I could wear those shoes. :)

As many of you have pointed out, the real key is going to be whether I can walk and dance in whatever I get. I may also bring a pair of fun, glittery flip flops in case I need to take off the "real" shoes at 10:00!

Thanks for the reality check on the old lady shoes. I actually like both of the shoes you posted, Magdalena, even though the platforms seem really high!

I'm going to fill a Zappos cart with several pairs of shoes and see what happens...I'm trying to do this early so I can at least wear my chosen shoes around the house for a few weeks to break them in!

Also, if it matters, I think I have borderline-wide feet. I don't wear a wide width, but sometimes when I try on delicate, strappy sandals, my foot looks too wide in them.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

PS thoughts re a nude shoe vs a black shoe? I was thinking black may give a bit of "edginess" to a pretty/cutesy dress that would be more in line with my usual style. (Which entails a fair amount of black.) Not that I'm so edgy and cool, but I do think I am today because yesterday, I got a tattoo. LOL.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Following are pics of some black shoes I put in my Zappos cart (haven't checked out yet, so open to deletion!) last night.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maybe too casual even though they have a bit of shine?

If you can't tell in the blurry photo above, those shoes have rhinestones on the center strap,

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

These look super comfortable. From Naot, which I think is known for comfort? Their sandals usually are more chunky.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

These?

Here is a link that might be useful: Sling backs

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

Since you mentioned dancing how about looking into ballroom dancing shoes? Your feet should be happy on this day. There are all different heel lengths and colors.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Did not even know there was such a thing! Will look...

These are so over the top and probably not the best option for my leg shape, but these would make me smile every time I looked down.

Betsey Johnson also has a very sparkly flat flip-flop that could be my emergency late night option.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

Or, if you want to get real jiggy with it paint those toenails pink and slip into these ballroom shoes. These are on clearance for 24 bucks so who cares if you wear them again.

http://www.lightinthebox.com/pretty-customized-women-s-satin-upper-dance-shoes_p843742.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Sale dance shoes

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 12:32

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Before you clog up the roadways with Zappos trucks, Id narrow down a style. And the style will depend on finding the sexiest shoe that you can still walk and dance in, yes? I think you should go to a good shoe department and try on a ton of different shoes. ONES YOU DON"T NORMALLY TRY, TOO.

Then, when you know the style that works for your foot/leg/comfort, I'd go back to Zappos and put it in the search function, have them send you a bunch, and figure it out from there.

As a category, I'd avoid black. It will still be summery, you want to be casual, and a color closer to your skin color IS flattering.

• vedazu
    9 years ago

Black patent something--iike the Kate Spade

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

Also, if it matters, I think I have borderline-wide feet. I don't wear a wide width, but sometimes when I try on delicate, strappy sandals, my foot looks too wide in them.

Yes it does matter. Another reason to wear a chunky, wedge - they minimize wide feet. Here's some great info about matching shoe style to body type:

https://suite.io/gill-hart/k5t2qc

You could go with black, but I really think a nude/light colored shoe would elongate your legs. I'm thinking you should just head over to Nordstroms and try on everything in sight.

Now, these babies would work perfectly for an edgy tattied up chic! Yes, I'm serious!! Coming from a fellow tattie!

Here is a link that might be useful: Steven Genesis

• sas95
    9 years ago

Yes, I'd go for black patent, too.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Magdalena and I are totally on the same wave length!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is fun.

How about these? Black patent.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

Sue, what is your age group? That might be helpful. If you are young you could get away with a high/heavy chunky wedge but IMO past the upper late forties it looks silly. Not silly in a 2â to 2â ü wedge or less.

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

I don't know Sue, those just look so ordinary.

Jterri, I have to disagree with you. And so would Nina Garcia!

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

Mag, it's not the looks so much (although I don't love) as watching most women that age and past try to walk in them nicely. Often times one looks more like they are doing an old stuffed geisha shuffle. Or in some cases it seems as though they have an extra emergency shoe stored in their rectum. Sometimes it's painful to watch.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 14:44

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I hadn't weighed in yet, but Magdalena and I are also on the same page here. She finally said it - the nude or gold-colored shoes will elongate your legs more than the black ones. Also, nude or a light color are pretty much worn year-round now and complement a red or pink dress such as the one you've picked out (which I really like, Sue). My DD is short too and has a similar problem. She has shoes very similar to the ones just shown on the model Mag just posted, and they are very flattering. She also has a shoe similar to the last black patent one you posted (Cole Haan I think) and she loves those but I don't think those are as good for the dress. I agree with Mtn - go to the store and try on some of these similar styles before you order from Zappos and get an idea what you might like. Heck, you might even find 1 or 2 worth bringing home to try with the dress. I can't see you dancing in anything that would be very open in the back. That could only cause problems IMO. Great idea to take a pair of cute flip-flops or comfy flats to put on when you can't stand those new shoes any longer.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    1. Which is the new 30. Right??

LOL, emergency shoe stored in your rectum. LMAO. That is NOT the look I'm going for.

When my mother turned 50, I think she was wearing double knit polyester pants with sneakers. And nude knee-highs.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

Wedge shoes are not for dancing period you have no foot flexibility.
    I agree with the ballroom dance shoes, they come in a range of styles and colors all of them great for dancing and also comfortable to wear.
    There's some great prices here, these black and sparkling dance shoes would be a good choice. But many options there.

Here is a link that might be useful: dance shoes

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

My favorite shoe so far is Mag's shoe at 9:05. You can get flexible dance shoes that look like that and for less.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 15:29

• deegw
    9 years ago

Take a look at the Cole Haan air tali wedge. Looks a bit like a ballet flat from the front but has a small heel to add some leg length. Comes in lots of colors and models. Different kinds of heels, toes, spectator style, etc. Nordstrom has a nude peep toe, Zappos carries them as well.

Just discovered a zebra pair too. They could look ridiculous or they could look spectacular.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/cole-haan-air-tali-wedge-pump-women/3778977?origin=keywordsearch-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=0amp;fashionColor=&resultback=800&cm_sp=personalizedsort-_-searchresults-_-1_3_B

Here is a link that might be useful: http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/cole-haan-air-tali-wedge/3611212?origin=category-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=0amp;fashionColor=SANDSTONE+PATENT&resultback=766&cm_sp=personalizedsort-_-browseresults-_-1_4_D

This post was edited by deee on Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 15:36

• deegw
    9 years ago

I love all the different style preferences in this thread. Some people are looking at suggested shoes and saying, "Oh, those are beautiful". Other people are looking at the same shoe and saying. "NO!".

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

Just so you don't think I'm just picking on us gals over 50 and extra high shoes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Funniest falls

• terezosa / terriks
    9 years ago

I really don't think age has anything to do with how graceful one looks when wearing high heels. Practice and experience do. I have seen plenty of young women who can't walk in them and look very awkward.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

Terriks, did you watch the young models in the vid above? I canâÂÂt imagine how embarrassed they must have been. Still, kinda funny!
    Well my legs are still good enough to wear a mini skirt...but at 54 I wouldn't.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

I love those floral dance shoes!

• terezosa / terriks
    9 years ago

I'm almost 57 and wear heels and short skirts on occasion. I think that my legs are one of my best features, and I intend on letting them show as long as I can!

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

Ok prove me wrong.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just because I won't have time to actually shop IRL for a while (dropping DS off at college next week, sob) I just ordered about 6 pairs of shoes from Zappos, some black, some silver, some nude, and will see what looks good. They should be here on Mon.

I will report back...

• dees_1
    9 years ago

Shoes? Shoes? GAH!! I love shoes!!! You all don't know me from Adam but I'm about the same age as Sue. Here's what I would wear. Flat with a very slight wedge heel and some shine. The zip back makes them easy to put on.

They're on sale with limited sizes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Macys - Alfani Haley Sandals

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH