Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21006250

cell phones, smart phones, iphones oh my!

User
10 years ago

About 10 years ago we gave up our cell phone for a land line. We will in the process of building a home and want to get a cell phone so contractors can easily reach us. My goodness things have certainly changed, there are so many different ones. I am looking for something simple, month to month plan. Any suggestions?

Comments (18)

• ellendi
    10 years ago

I love my smart phone. Once you get used to all it can do, you will never go back to a flip phone.
    You can email and access the internet if you need information. There are so many apps, many free that can help you with directions, find stores and gas stations etc.
    It seems over whelming for all it can do, but it is really easy. I first started with the basics. Adding phone numbers for my contacts, learning how to make a call, receive and text on it. Then you start experimenting with what is useful to you.
    I even play games with my daughters, who are young adults, Just another way to keep in touch.
    My husband was the last to get one. He loves that he can voice an email or text as he is not a good typist. He can access security cameras that are miles away. The possibilities are endless.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Although a smart phone is fabulous, that might be more than what you are looking for. You can get smart phones month to month through stores like Walmart if you shop there. MIL does not have a smart phone but uses Virgin Mobile for prepaid plans. She seems to be happy with that. She also bought one for DH's grandma to have in an emergency since she had a few times over the winter where she lost power.

I just got an iPhone5 this week, and it really is fabulous. You cannot beat Apple products for ease of use. I know a new version is coming out next month probably, but my iPhone4 died and I was travelling this week, so I really needed a phone right now.

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

I think you have to decide if you want a regular phone or a smart phone. Smart phones cost more upfront and the monthly service is higher.

I have one and use many of the features but DH is going back to a flip phone. He never uses it to access the internet or check email so we'll save the $29.00 a month he pays for that feature.

• maddielee
    10 years ago

I just changed to Virgin Mobile (check your coverage, map is on their website).

The phone is a LG Optimus F3 4G lte ($ 180.00 at Best Buy) The 4G part is important for fast internet access, again check if 4G is available where you live. Nice camera, long battery life.

I'm starting with the $35.00/month plan. Unlimited text and data. 300 minutes of talk time. I probably don't talk on my cell for 5 hours a year.

The only problem I've had with the phone is that its hard to find a case to fit it properly.

ML

• funnygirl
    10 years ago

Same as MC. I dont know how I'd survive w/out my smartphone but DH can barely remember to turn his archaic flip phone on! So it does come down to your needs. Ironically, we first got cell phones while building a home in order to stay in close contact with the subs. Very helpful!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Love our iPhones. Easy peasy. Of course, our computer is a Mac, my tablet is an iPad, and I have an iPod, too, so choosing Apple was probably a foregone conclusion.

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

Sounds like you just need to make/receive phone calls. If that's the case, you could probably just go with a pre-paid phone.

You can get one from just about anywhere (Sears, Wal-Mart, Target, etc.). They cost about $20 for something simple and charge around ten cents per minute.

Here's some more info:

Here is a link that might be useful: How Prepaid Cell Phones Work

• golddust
    10 years ago

I'm hooked. I use my iPhone to communicate, find good eats, get me places, answer questions (I have an inquiring mind) and review potential purchases while in the store.

Best invention EVER! That said, it's easy to make typos on.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

Yeah, I live in an area with no cellular reception so I just have the cheapest go-phone available for use when I'm out and about, and that works fine for me. I pay $100 annually so I don't have to remember to refill it, but I still usually have a rollover credit each year.

I wouldn't get into an iphone (and if I were going to get a smartphone it would definitely be an iphone after watching my android-owning friends grapple with theirs), unless you know you'll use all the features.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think my best option would be the $100 annual one. I definately dont want any fancy features. Writersblock who is your service provider?

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

I have ATT, but if there were decent coverage from another provider in my general area I'd investigate the alternatives thoroughly.

I should put in a caveat that I wanted the dumbest brick phone they offer--if I got one of the prepaid smart phones and used all that it can do, that $100 would be gone in short order.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hmm, now I am thinking of maybe getting rid of my landline. It started out at 14.99 a month four years ago,now it is up to 23.99 monthly!

• awm03
    10 years ago

I've been a Virgin Mobile customer for 10 years, and have been very happy with their no contract service. They use Sprint's network. Sprint's been upgrading their service areas like crazy, so I find their coverage to be pretty good (rural Iowa, and even my corner of Connecticut, are two exceptions, but all the carriers fizzle out in these areas).

I have a Samsung smart phone & pay $35 for unlimited data & more minutes than I'll ever need. I use texting a lot, GPS often, do a fair amount of web surfing when traveling, check email frequently, use Flickr to show photos when asked, make a phone call on rare occasions, and even Tweeted once or twice.

Virgin Mobile has 2 cheaper plans (phone & text, or phone only) if you don't want data .

Their phones range from fancy & expensive to bare bones & cheap.

Here is a link that might be useful: Virgin Mobile plans

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

I have a T-Mobile pre-paid. I pretty much NEVER use my cell phone, which means I always forget to charge it, but since my phone is so low-tech, it goes a long time on the same charge.

It's very cheap. $100 if you want 1000 minutes that last all year, and once you get that (ever, not just in the year), you have "Gold Rewards" status. You can add minutes that give you bonus minutes, which also last all year. (Some only last a few months.)

It works well for me. DH, on the other hand, has a fancy phone, but 1/2 the time his calls don't get through anyway!

Here is a link that might be useful: T-Mobile

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

I went from the most basic phone to an iphone 5 (took my teenager phone shopping with me). I was sure I didn't need all the extras, but they had a deal and the teenager was pushing for it, of course. Now I don't know how I could live without it. I've used it to find directions when I'm lost (happens more than I care to admit), send my dd a picture of something I want to buy her to see if she'll like it (you could do this with your contractor - "NO, that's not the right colour of tile!"), I even use the calendar which I really didn't think I'd master (it beeps to remind me! even dh isn't as reliable).

My favourite thing is that I can use the microphone to "speak" my text messages since I am incredibly inept at typing on any phone. My kids either burst out laughing every time I do it, or turn red and pretend they don't know me depending on where we are. I'm hilarious.

• Cathy Reilly
    last year

I can't imagine my life without my iPhone

• Cathy Reilly
    last year

Have you ever lived without a smartphone? Undoubtedly! This must have been before they even existed. Have you noticed that we have become too dependent on things that did not even exist just a few years ago? We are even beginning to feel phantom vibrations, the false sense that the phone is vibrating or ringing in your pocket. Our hearts literally stop when we can't find our phone. After all, without it, we would simply be lost! Without your smartphone, a person begins to feel like the representatives of the Stone Age, who lived millions of years ago without any technology and communication. Here the saying comes to mind: "Having - we do not appreciate, but having lost - we cry." Probably a couple of days without a smartphone will make you appreciate it. After all, he is a good thing, after all.

• Cathy Reilly
    last year

1. There will be a sense of disconnection Smartphones have dramatically changed the way we communicate with other people. They made it easier and more accessible. Technology used to limit us as we were forced to languish in front of a landline while waiting for a call. Today people have become much closer to each other. Now, in order to talk with the desired person, a couple of touches on the smartphone are enough. However, the absence of this miracle gadget will make you feel separated from the world, which often leads to an acute feeling of loneliness. In addition, you may succumb to incessant boredom. 2. It will become harder to navigate without GPS The days of people using maps to get to the right place are almost gone. All smartphones are equipped with GPS, which helps us to reach our destination without much difficulty and wandering. Life has actually become much easier thanks to GPS, because this navigator shows us the right direction right down to the smallest turn. Therefore, in the absence of access to the global system, many people will not be able to correctly and quickly navigate in an unfamiliar area. Navigators have become such an integral part of our lives that most travel enthusiasts and those who often go on business trips can hardly imagine their lives without a smartphone with its indispensable GPS.