Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ratherbesewing

Perks on being on House Hunters/My First House etc

ratherbesewing
10 years ago

I was watching one of those HGTV shows recently and wondered WHO would want to be on one of these shows? I realize the New Jersey Housewives get some major $$, but what about the House Hunter, Say Yes To The Dress people? Do you know ANYONE who has participated? How did they get involved and were they paid or given discounts? Just curious.

Comments (6)

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

I'm guessing that it's a nominal appearance fee and the 'glory' of being on TV. I can't imagine the participants get a lot of money-the shows are probably not big income generators but are relatively cheap to produce.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

I remember a few years back someone else on these forums had a friend who had appeared on the show. I think the house was on Long Island. She said the same thing, that the house had already been purchased and that the "house hunt" was not for real. She also mentioned that they had not been paid (or very nominally) for their appearance.

I don't care. It's still entertaining. I am always stunned by how much house you get for your money in the Midwest. I could sell my little east coast house, move their and live like a queen.

I especially enjoy HH International. Last night I watched a couple buy a place in Paris for a mere $4.3 million. I hope the $500 or so they received helped ease their financial burden.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

My favorite is Love it or List it. Even with all the potential problems that might come up, I think that the participants are getting a lot for their money. They give Hillary a budget of say $60,000 and get most rooms renovated along with a brand new kitchen. Kitchen are usually a total gut job. So, yes I can see this being a worth while venture.
    But, Home Hunters, I am not so sure. I wonder too about people who let their "smelly cat house" or "cluttered cottage" be on display. I am sure some of their neighbors will recognize their home.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Every time I try to open that link, my computer freezes up.

Anyways, I remember reading a long time ago on House Hunters that the rules said you already had to be under contract for the home, so it should be no secret it is totally staged. Lately, it seems they never pick the homes DH and I like.

Recently saw an HH International for Nepal. Wow, that was really educational.

I also like House Hunters Renovation where they buy the home, but then they actually do the renovations suggested. Although I nearly cried when one couple tore out beautiful parquet floors because they were "dated" and put in traditional hardwoods.

Another cool version was Island Hunters, for those who just a simple home won't do. Seriously, these people were looking at private islands.. Mindblowing.

If you do appear on the shows and they do renovations, I think you get a 1099 for the value of any work done.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I know a couple who were on House Hunters here in Alexandria They also had already purchased their new house and it was all for show. I watched their two children while they filmed the first day. It was a two day shoot. No payment. The husband just wanted to be on tv I think.

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company