Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jan_in_wisconsin

Breast Cancer Biopsy

jan_in_wisconsin
9 years ago

Just had my first mammogram and it came back abnormal. Six or seven clustered microcalcifications showed up. I had a stereotactic biopsy and there were actually 20 to 25 microcalcifications clustered in that area, so some didn't show up on the original mammogram. I'm waiting for the results and really feeling concerned.

Has anyone been through this? Do this many microcalcifications have a chance of being benign? I'm 42 and so scared now. I have a history of endometriosis, infertility treatments, and one aunt on my mom's side diagnosed this past year.

It's hard enough waiting for these results. I wonder how I'll cope if it is cancer.

Comments (45)

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

I am here keeping you company, holding your hand while you wait for the results.

Sending love across the Internet . . .

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

Jan, I had a stereotactic biopsy on New Year's Eve 2009. It turned out benign. Some women are prone to have those microcalcifications in their breasts. I know it's impossible NOT to worry, but you may be fine. They probably left a marker in your breast so future mammograms would note where the area is.

Nothing questionable has shown up since that time, and I have my annual mammogram this afternoon at 4 PM!

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Positive thoughts and hopes for a good dx for you, jan. The waiting is torture, no two ways about it, and I'm sorry you have to wait to know. Try to keep in mind that, even IF you are in the early stages, breast cancer is very treatable.

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

Jan, I had a similar experience when I was in my 40's. As my3dogs mentioned, I have a metal marker in my breast and that area is watched closely on my yearly mammograms. The waiting is awful. Mine was benign and I now know my breasts are full of microcalcifications. Sending positive thoughts your way.

• hhireno
    9 years ago

Wasn't it Tom Petty who sang "the waiting is the hardest part" ?

I, also, had a stereotactic biospy in my 40's and it was benign. It is a scary time.

Eighty percent of biopsies are benign. Odds are in your favor. I can't write stay positive because, in this case, that is not a word we want to see. Stay upbeat. Stay benign.

If, heaven forbid, your biopsy is positive, you will cope. You have no other option. Family and friends will rally. Your doctor will provide you with excellent treatment. It will be a short, inconvenient blip in your long, healthy life.

Good luck.

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

Jan I also had the microcalcifications. Initially I had a core biopsy which was negative. A year or so later, more grouped calcifications were found on my mammo and I had a stereotactic biopsy followed by a 'lollipop' excision that was benign. That was probably 16 -18 years ago?? I don't remember exactly. Since then, I have not had any issues but I do see my breast surgeon 2 x/year. One visit is the day I have my mammo - he reads it and does a breast exam at that time, then again 6 months later for a breast exam only. His breast exam is a bit different and more detailed (odd wording but I don't know how else to describe it) than my OB's so when he says everything is good, I leave with a real feeling of well being.

I also have breast (and ovarian) cancer in my family and was a wreck with worry waiting for my results. All I can say is do your best to distract yourself because the worry does nothing positive and the stress itself can be disruptive to your health. Easier said than done, I know but you have a large band of women here who are in your corner, many of us having traveled the same road. Was there a suggestion for your aunt to have genetic testing and if so, did she do that?

• graywings123
    9 years ago

I have no information to pass along, but I am sending positive thoughts your way, Jan.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

So sorry you are going through this. Microcalcifications can be a sign of breast cancer, but aren't necessarily so. Most times, they are not. Be grateful that the doctors have found this now and that they are using their best know how and technology to do what is best for you, whatever that may be.

I know you know, but worry adds nothing to the equation except make you feel worse. Your thoughts and worries are not you...they are just your nervous mind chattering at you. Separate yourself from worry. Spend some time with it, look at it, study it, and then distance yourself from it. You are not worry. You are separate and apart from it. You are so much more than it. You are so much better than it. It only has the power over you that you give it. Stop feeding it. Let it go.

Don't borrow trouble...take it one step at a time.

This is just a process you have to go through. You will go through it the best you can. You are strong and capable of dealing with whatever comes your way. Approach it with curiosity and wonder over the new experience, the wonderful caring souls you will meet, the fabulous technologies that only a few years ago didn't exist that are there to help you along the way. Yes, it is not something you would choose to do, but it was a path chosen for you. Approach it seeking the good all along the way. It will make your journey so much easier.

Here is a longer guided meditation focusing on a healthy body.

I'm attaching below a short guided meditation that you may find helpful for dealing with worry.

I'm sending you much strength and courage as you go through this process. Be sure to let us know what you find out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Meditation for worry, anxiety

• ellendi
    9 years ago

((((((Hugs)))))

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Jan, I hope you get your results soon and you can breathe easier based on the comments above. This has to be the worst part - the waiting. Once you know your options, go to war if necessary. You have an army here behind you! All the best wishes to you!

• trailrunner
    9 years ago

Sending positive thoughts your way and strength . c

• tinam61
    9 years ago

Keeping you in my prayers.

tina

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am so humbled by all of the responses here to my midnight fear session last night. I didn't sleep well, partly due to discomfort, but mostly due to anxiety.

I have read your thoughtful replies again and again, and I find them so comforting and uplifting.

I do have a marker placed in the biopsy spot for future reference. I am not sure whether or not my aunt had testing to determine if there was a genetic component. That's a good question. I know she was tested to determine hormone receptor status, and it was negative.

I'll be going in alone for the results this afternoon. Family and friends aren't available or able. As a mom of a special needs child with a busy professional career, and having relocated multiple times, I don't have a lot of close friendships right now. My DH has already taken off of work for the biopsy, and he also took a day off this week related to a vacation we have planned, so he is going to work today. I asked my sister, but I guess she doesn't want to or it doesn't work for her schedule. My parents live over an hour away.

I would have liked someone with me but I need to just suck it up. I can face this, one way or the other.

I so appreciate your kind words, meditations (thank you!), and assurances. You're gems for sure! I will keep you posted, and hopefully the news will be good today.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Keeping positive thoughts for a good result today.....

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Sending positive thoughts and energy your way. Hoping for very good news!

• texanjana
    9 years ago

Sending up prayers and positive energy!

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    9 years ago

All good energy sent your way, jan!

• teacats
    9 years ago

Sending along hugs and thoughts for deepest strength, balance and calm ....

We are here for you ......

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

((Jan)) - I'm so sorry no one could go to this appointment with you - I'd have been happy to make the drive and sit in the waiting room. We'll be waiting to hear from you
    Deb

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Sending my support. We are all there in that appointment room with you.

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

good luck today, here's to hoping for good results, keep us posted !!

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've arrived for the appointment and I feel uplifted by all of your support. Can't tell you how much it means. Thanks so much.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've arrived for the appointment and I feel uplifted by all of your support. Can't tell you how much it means. Thanks so much.

• melsouth
    9 years ago

I thought I posted earlier, but it vanished...

Thinking of you, and hoping all is well!
    Very best wishes to you!

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

Jan, I hope you can feel the support from all of us. I am sorry you are alone, but just know that many of us are with you as you walk this path. Sending good vibes your way.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No cancer! I'm beyond relieved! Thanks so much for your well wishes! Woo! Hoo!

• maddielee
    9 years ago

Excellent!

ML

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Doing a happy dance for you! Yippee!

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

WooHoo back atcha!

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Yay!

• hhireno
    9 years ago

And the GW breathes a sigh of relief!

Jan, I sent you an email.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Woooooohooooooo!!! :)

So deeply happy for you -- HUGS!!!! :)

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Wonderful news. Thanks for letting us know!

• jmc01
    9 years ago

Going forward, your mammograms will continue to show the calcifications. Each time you have the exam, the reading will be looking to make sure they don't change. Keep going to the same doc who can compare past to present or have all prior mammograms transferred if you change doctors.

I'm 15-17 yrs down the path with these things, I've had 3 biopsies and have a clean bill off health. The key thing now is consistency in test readings!

Good news!

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Hooray! Sleep well tonight!

• lilsophie
    9 years ago

So awesome to hear the great news :)

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Big high five, girl! So relieved for you! Rest well tonight!

• homersmom
    9 years ago

Oh, great news!

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

GREAT NEWS !!

• tinam61
    9 years ago

YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• trailrunner
    9 years ago

(( )) :) So glad for you ! c

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

So happy to hear the news! What a relief for you!

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

whew! So glad you had good news!

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again to each and every one of you. Reading your messages was the last thing I did before heading into the clinic to face my results. Thanks to you all, I didn't feel as alone. I am brainstorming ways I could pass this on and do the same for others in the same circumstances.

After going through this, I am so humbled by the courage that must be mustered in those who do learn they have cancer.

Thank you, thank you all!

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    9 years ago

Jumping in late Jan - just read this today. So glad the results are good. Fwiw, I've had that twice and know how scary it is.

Wish I had seen you post on Wed. but am sending thoughts of positive energy now. :)