Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Not really decor, but I need help choosing new mattress

2ajsmama
9 years ago

Our pillowtop is about 15 yrs old, I told DH for our 25th anniversary this fall I wanted a new one but I'm ready to go shopping this week. I don't know how I'm going to get through the summer. I'm in perimenopause and even with AC set at 71 and ceiling fan going I wake up in the middle of the night so hot I can't sleep, even if I was comfy when I went to bed. Last night was so bad I laid down and then went right to DD's room and her antique bed, b/c even with her in it, it was cooler than mine (and DH wasn't even upstairs yet!). I think the pillowtop is holding my body heat in, even with high thread count cotton sheets. And DD has a waterproof mattress pad (with cotton cover)!

I really need sleep - spent 4 nights at fancy hotel in Boston with my mom and DD, king bed, I would start the night there (DD in the middle) but then move to saggy plastic roll-away cot they brought in for DD (that she refused to sleep in). At least that was cool (to begin with) - right by window and AC. But 2 hours of sleep followed by 4 hours in the cot does not add up to 6 hours. Not that I'm sleeping any better at home. Though last night slept with DD 11 til 6:30! I usually wake up about 5:30 (sunrise).

So is there a good cool mattress that I can put flannel sheets on in the winter and still be comfy? I've heard about "cooling gel" mattresses, don't know who sells them and price range/support (I'm a side/tummy sleeper, DH is mostly a back sleeper). Tried searching for a "cooling mattress topper" like a memory foam topper but reviews are mixed, they're $180 and we need a new mattress anyway.

Comments (9)

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Changed my mind - until I'm in menopause, it's best I stay with the old mattress. Does anybody have any recommendations for fairly inexpensive cooling mattress pads or sheets, preferably waterproof?

This post was edited by ajsmama on Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 2:37

• camlan
    9 years ago

I'd try a store with a good return policy--some will take back a used mattress pad, some won't. Then try a few until you find one you like.

The comfort of the memory foam mattress pads is very subjective--some like them firmer, some like them softer. You really need to sleep on one to see if you like it.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't really want a memory foam pad, but they are widely available so I was comparing what I was looking for with that. I did see 1 cooling pad on Amazon but a lot of people didn't like it, said it only lasted 15-30 minutes, didn't hold up in the wash, and not worth the $170-180.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Anybody have any recommendations for cooling mattress pads or bedding? I slept with DD again last night, just can't sleep on that pillowtop with DH! I'm going to ask my dr about HRT!

• nutherokie_gw
    9 years ago

I know it sounds counterintuitive, but have you considered a wool fleece mattress pad? I remember reading that many people find the fleece to have a cooling effect because it wicks moisture and allows some air circulation.

I haven't used one, but they look nice. Rather pricy, though.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Wow, it's great to see you here again ajsmama! It's been such a long time. How is your home coming along?

I'm sorry I can't help you with a mattress pad, but I find having a floor fan aimed right at me helps. I don't get actual "night sweats", but I do get very warm.

• funnygirl
    9 years ago

We have a Sleep Number bed with a cooling gel memory foam type topper I purchased at Costco. No complaints and, of course, anything can be returned to Costco. However, you'll never ever get it back in the box it came in and they are heavy. IOW, it would be a pain to return.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

We just looked at new mattresses today. Memory foam. They all have the cooling pad now. It's amazing how cool they feel. Granted I have no clue how well they help when on them for a whole night.
    The cost for just the topper from Temporpedic is about $900 if you buy it separate. It seems iComfort by Serta, is very comparable in comfort. We tried many different mattresses and IF we wind up buying it'll be the iComfort on an Omaha Mattress frame to save six hundred dollars.
    I want to check out the Omaha Mattress store first though. I'll let you know what we find out.

• rgps
    9 years ago

We have bought 3 nova form gel form toppers from Costco for 3 different beds. One is for our home in the desert where we are stingy with the AC, one is on our bed at 8,000 feet where it's rarely over 50 degrees at night and one is in our camper van. When it's really cold in the van the mattress is a rock when you get in but quickly softens up as our bodies warm it. There is no AC in the van when we sleep. In all of these situations we have been really happy with this topper. Never too hot and I am "of the age" when I would be. We've had them all for 3 years. Love them.