Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Amber ring question

User
9 years ago

I have a large amber ring set in sterling silver that I would like resized because it's too big. I use a snuggie but it slides around and is uncomfortable. I have a relative that works in a large chain jewelry store and their people told her they couldn't do it because the amber is too soft and would melt.

Could a real jeweler resize it? I'm sure you get what I mean. Come to think of it, I never saw any amber carried in this store either so perhaps they don't have the right equipment due to that. ? Obviously making guesses here.

I was going to try and describe it, but a photo just seems easier right now. The sides around the amber aren't solid. It kind of wraps around in three layers with most of the bottom exposed.
{{gwi:1516520}}

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

They have to heat the ring up to resize it, even if making it smaller, they will cut it but then need to solder the ends together and the metal will conduct heat to the amber. In fact, I've heard that sterling can't be resized (or can only be done once) b/c it can weaken the metal. Also, depending on the setting, a ring may only be able to be resized (even down) to a certain point, maybe 2 sizes down, or 1 size up, without distorting the setting so much that the stone loosens and that's with hard stones.

I lost a sterling and amethyst ring I bought at Goodwill that I really liked, it was just a little too big, maybe it could have been resized but I wore it before going to jeweler to see. I did read up on it though. I need to get my wedding & engagement rings (gold) resized (up, they heat and stretch, don't put a piece in) and was told engagement ring could go up 2 sizes (enough for me) but I didn't ask about band which is not full eternity band but is channel set so that might not be able to be done at all. DH will just have to buy me a new one for our 25th - though it would be a waste since I don't wear jewelry at all now b/c my hands are always in something (dirt, stain, dough).

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

How much too big is it? I'm not sure what a snuggie is so I don't know if my solution will be uncomfortable for you as well. I had a jeweler put in removable sizing balls in 2 of my rings however they aren't silver so I don't know if you'd have the same potential issues with heat transfer to do this. I'll get a picture for you in a bit to show you how it works.

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

These are the rings and you can see there are 2 tiny balls inside each. They tighten the rings just enough that they didn't have to be resized and are easily removed should the rings ever be too tight. Once they're on, I don't feel them but you may find them annoying.

• CaroleOH
    9 years ago

I would call a silversmith and see if they can remove the stone and make the ring smaller and then reset the stone.

Anything can be done, just a matter of how much are you willing to pay!

• alisande
    9 years ago

Unless the ring has great sentimental value, it would probably make more sense to buy another.

This one, for example.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've heard mixed things about resizing sterling so I actually figured that would be the response from the jeweler.

I don't know the size, but it's pretty big. It was obvious when I tried it on, but I liked this one. I need it down to a six or seven. It's still a tad big with the snuggie. I might have to rig up the snuggie to stay in place. I usually end up with it sliding to the side of the ring then the top will fall to the bottom. Snuggie pics in link.

Thanks for the photos Dlm. I never saw that done. Since the size is so big it probably wouldn't work in this case.

I'd like to find a way to make this one work even if that means just keep dealing with it the way it is. I actually don't normally like amber rings but liked the coloring (which isn't showing up well here) and the shape of this one. My mom bought it for me as a gift on a trip. I do know the markup on jewelry is ridiculous, but this one wasn't inexpensive.

Here is a link that might be useful: snuggie pic

• camlan
    9 years ago

Would it be possible for a jeweler to put a ring guard on the ring?

Here is a link that might be useful: ring guards

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

Ohhhhh! That's a snuggie - would drive me nuts, too.

• graywings123
    9 years ago

I just had a mental flashback to the 1960s in high school when girls would wrap angora thread around the back of the class rings given to them by their boyfriends.

Those metal balls seem like a great idea for keeping a ring from spinning around on your finger.

• User
    9 years ago

Pretty ring!

I have a sizer in my rings after losing a few pounds before my IVF and my rings were literally falling off when my hands were wet or cold. I wanted it to be adjustable so I could still wear my rings throughout my pregnancy. It's called a foldover (I think) and it's a simple piece of gold (I'm sure they have silver too) that is inserted and wrapped inside the band (no bigger than a bread twist-tie) and I can make it bigger or smaller at a moment's notice using the handle part of tweezers or a metal nail-file blade.

I paid $15 for mine as I needed it long enough to secure my band and engagement ring. It would have been $10 if I only had to do one band. I didn't even know this simple thing existed until I went to my jeweler to inquire. I didn't tell him but I would have gladly paid more than $15 for this, it's awesome. I don't even know it's there, can't even feel it.

I tried to copy a picture of one from the internet but it must be a protected picture as I can't insert it here.