Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leafy02

Vegetarian Cooking School?

leafy02
10 years ago

DD #3 may be headed for a gap year between high school and college, and is thinking of taking a cooking course. She is a lifelong vegetarian and won't handle meat, so I am wondering if any of you have experience with any vegetarian cooking schools? I found some via google, but don't know anyone who's tried them.

Natural Kitchen in Austin, TX is one that lists a 4-month course. Anyone have experience with them --or know of any other schools that might apply?

(As usual turning here first, because you all are the most informed that I know!)

Comments (9)

• funkyart
    10 years ago

I dont have any experience with one but I know there are a few in NYC-- or at least there were a number of years ago.

Is this the direction she wants to take her career? If so, I'd recommend talking to a few people in the business. While there are many more vegetarian restaurants these days, it's still going to limit her options. Perhaps a pastry chef track may provide more career opportunities.

OTOH if she's just looking to take a course for fun and personal enrichment, then I'd recommend she take the time to find a course that fits her personality and interests. There are many non-professional programs... some in lovely destination locations.

• golddust
    10 years ago

If she is willing to go to either coast or the Pacific North Coast, she could get a job in a heartbeat.

• leafy02
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, ladies. She's not thinking of a long-term career in cooking, but I'd say we're thinking of it as being in-between personal enrichment and career--it might give her confidence in that skill set and also might enhance her hire-ability if she does decide to work in addition to going to college afterward, or it might get her different volunteer opportunities if that's the route she goes.

I like the idea of a certificate like the one offered by the Austin school, but I think some basic courses plus an internship would be fine, too.

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

This may be more intensive than she wants but a friend of mine went through their program and it changed her life.
    Institute for Integrative Nutrition

Also check out Diane Carlson, The Conscious Gourmet

I don't think she'll be limited to the coasts with a career even if restaurant work is what she wants. And there are many ways to 'integrate' vegetarian eating in other health careers - this from a confirmed carnivore!

• Boopadaboo
    10 years ago

Have you looked at the culinary institute of America? I have heard good things Bout them and they have a few campuses and different courses of study I believe.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

You might want to check if any of your local community colleges offer courses in Culinary Arts that she can take as a non-degree student.

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

My SIL enjoyed the conscious gourmet 3 day retreat in NC.so much she took my MIL back the second time. Not sure if it is what you and your daughter want.

Does it have to be a formal course? Many Internet bloggers turned cookbook authors in the vegetarian and vegan community volunteered for apprenticeships at local veg eateries. Some were even paid for their work.... They learned great knife skills, artistic plating, how a real kitchen works and from tasting the menu they developed a palate and knowledge. Plus many said the chefs took the time to educate those who really wanted to learn. Or would you consider having her travel from city to city taking in the sites and attending a day class here or a week class there? She could come up with a great schedule taught by so many vegetarians.

I think the problem with community college courses is she will be expected to work with some form of animal product.

Good luck!

• leafy02
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all. Yes, Iheartgiantschnauzer, I think you're right about courses at traditional cooking schools or community colleges, since she won't handle meat, poultry or seafood those will probably fall short.

I like the idea of internships, paid or unpaid, as a learning ground. I never thought about checking out blogs to see where others got their training--what a good idea :)

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

Leafy, check out herbivoracious.com

he responds to emails; he wrote a few posts on the very subject and he switched careers by working apprenticeship after a career at Adobe. Of course he had plenty of contacts, but I know several friends in several different cities who have done the same.

She may want to post on postpunkkitchen forums (vegan forum). They may be able to provide more guidance.