Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funkyart_gw

Aldi.. do you or don't you?

funkyart
10 years ago

I gave Aldi a try this weekend based on some posts in the Walmart thread. I'd heard long ago that it was owned by the same company that owns Trader Joe's .. that intrigued me but still, I thought it was a discount warehouse kind of store.

I was fairly impressed-- I mean, it is still a discount grocery store. You walk in and face the aisle of discount, off brand snack foods-- but the produce was particularly impressive. The section is small but the quality and price of their produce was far superior to the grocery store I'd just left. I bought cauliflower, baby artisanal lettuce, strawberries, red/yellow peppers, grape tomatoes and fresh salsa-- all at exceptional prices.

I didnt buy any meats, pantry or bakery items.. I did check out some of the other items and it seemed that many things were great prices.. some are borderline. I am wondering what others buy there.. I am a big fan of TJ's but there isnt one nearby. Are there comparable items at Aldi? What are your go to items? What do you avoid?

Comments (39)

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

I've been there a few times and I've tried to like it but I don't. I didn't find anything I wanted to buy and left empty handed every time.

A new TJs is opening close to me in October - YAY!!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

I buy coffee beans ( morning roast and donut shop), bran cereal for Dad, eggs, milk, butter, some cheeses depending on what's there, wine ( vina decana tempranillo is a fav), granola bars, canned black beans, produce, chocolate bars ( the German chocolate is very good), various pastas, bacon, walnuts, pecans, almonds, maple syrup, organic romaine, crackers, ..... no bread or much meat.

I'm a bread snob and like really good breads so usually get the best artisan I can find locally, which isn't at Aldis although at Christmas they have a good stollen.
    They have nice, enameled cast iron at Christmas and I have bought some small appliances that work great.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was surprised by the savings. I am talking dollars per item-- not cents. Cauliflower was bigger and over $2 cheaper. Same with the baby artisanal lettuce.

Bumble, great list-- thank you. I meant to check out butter and flour prices as I bake when it isnt so hot. I wouldnt buy bread there either but dried beans, nuts, eggs.. sure.

Gibby, what didnt you care for?

• User
    10 years ago

I love their enameled cast iron too, Bumblebeez, - I bought a large dutch oven there a few years ago and it really is just as good as my Le Creuset stuff. I don't go there often but I do like it. There are quite a few in my area but they are all just a bit too far away - about 30 minutes - if they were closer I would shop there all the time. They are great for flour, sugar, spices, chocolate, etc - anything for baking. I think their cheese selection is good and their milk prices can't be beat.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I went in recently also. I hadn't yet because from what I could see, it looked like a place that was basically selling inexpensive processed foods. I'm sorry to say I was expecting more after the Walmart thread reviews. The produce was the only thing that interested me. I do have to wonder why it is priced so very low. All I could think of was pesticides, lol. I buy organic more and more, attempting to lower my toxin load, so I didn't even try them. I will get some flowers there though, lol.

I do use some store brand items but am usually wary of trying them because often they are not as good quality. Sometimes I toss them. I have never heard of those brands. With the cost of living being what it is, it is great for people to have options if they need them though.

It was quite small and a neat, clean and friendly place full of everyday staples.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

They have a sign on the milk compartment stating that their milk suppliers pledge not to use hormones, it makes me feel better even though it's uncertain if they do or don't.

• teacats
    10 years ago

I adore our local Aldi stores (we are very close to two stores)! :)

And we buy their milk, cream, eggs, yogurt, cheeses, breads -- and LOTS of other items there too! Their frozen and fresh pizzas are wonderful!

And we can sometimes get items SO cheaply -- that it simply does not make economic sense to make them! Like their small wonderful cakes (yes -- in a sensible smaller size) like their own angel-food cake or chocolate or seasonal ones like strawberry ... $2.99!!! :)

Yes -- they only accept cash as payment. Yes -- you do have to take your own bags (or pay a small fee for their bags) Worth the trouble! :)

• nancybee_2010
    10 years ago

I had never heard of Aldi until that Wal Mart thread. I don't think there are any here (CA)- (not sure)

I looked at their website and there are many of them in Europe. Maybe it started there?

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

It looks like Aldis are just in the eastern half of the US.
    I do remember going to one in Germany, and seeing Trader Joe's branded products there. Apparently they are a German company. Here's their Wiki page

Here is a link that might be useful: US Aldi locations

• User
    10 years ago

Things we've tried and like: nuts/almonds, crackers, brown sugar, sugar, the flour's fine but it's bleached so I don't normally buy it, 10x sugar, spices, vanilla, milk, eggs, syrup, pb (the one without hydrogenated oil), jelly, honey, butter, cheeses, salsa, corn chips, butter cookies in a tin, sweet potato chips, veggie chips, German breads & chocolate, garlic hummus (really good), wheat bread (the one without high fructose corn syrup) and 12 grain are fine (note - I'm not that picky about bread. I just try and buy ones without hfcs and artifical colors. I've been mainly using Ezekiel from elsewhere but DH doesn't care for it.), potato rolls & buns, canned salmon, tuna, and black beans, other (bag) beans, brown rice, spaghetti sauce, pasta, taco shells, frozen veggies (love them), frozen peaches, sweet and all the other potatoes, fruits, and veggies. I'm also fine with their ketchup and mustard. I don't like their mayo and normally buy Kraft or Hellmans.

.."price of their produce was far superior to the grocery store I'd just left."
    I find that too! Our store is always clean, stocked, and the staff is friendly.

This post was edited by sheesharee on Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 0:04

• redcurls
    10 years ago

Some standouts with our household: milk, butter, eggs, sour cream. cream cheese, grape jelly, cereals, salad dressings, frozen breaded fish portions, saltine crackers

Didn't like: vegetable shortening (not oil), peanut butter, canned salmon,

Produce seems sort of hit & miss. Price isn't the problem, but sometimes it just isn't looking like the best. I love it on days it looks nice, though, because it's always offerred at a good price.

• hhireno
    10 years ago

The one I visited was very small and didn't have any housewares items, which was the reason I stopped there. The only thing I bought was meat and it was just awful. Even my husband didn't finish his meal that night.

I think there is another store location in the next town, maybe it's a bigger store with non-food items. I'll make a note of the things you guys buy there and give it a look-see if I'm ever nearby it.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I had filet once that my bf bought at his store--first, I wouldn't buy filet at aldis but I have to say it was awful. I will have to get past that to buy meat there again. But that is the thing about aldi.. you don't go there for *everything*. It's close enough that I will stop there for what's good and go elsewhere for all else.

I've been real pleased with the produce I've bought-- and again, much of it was half the price. I didnt see anything exotic but they had plenty of the basics.

I am thrilled with everyone's lists.. thank you. I am picky about bread, mayo and tuna so I won't try them.. but beans, butter, crackers, sure. I'll also keep an eye out for the enameled cast iron.

I'd still prefer a Trader Joe's but no sign of one in the near future. :(

• tinam61
    10 years ago

I don't. I live in a small town near a big city. There are two Aldis in the city but it's not worth it to me to drive 30 minutes (at least), although I do occasionally for Trader Joes!

Funky - our Trader Joe just opened in the last year. Finally!!

tina

Hmmm this reminds me of another grocery shopping question I was going to post . . .

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

Our small town doesn't have much, but what we do have is all right next to each other so going to Bilo (the main grocery store), Lowes, Walmart and Aldis is all almost in the same parking lot. ( and throw in Kmart, Home Depot, Belks, Petsmart also in the parking lot)
    If Aldi's were a drive, it probably wouldn't be worth it.

• teacats
    10 years ago

We consider Aldi our "corner store" -- and we are VERY lucky to have a range of choices for shopping around our neighbourhood ..... so we can easily shop around for the best prices/quality for the week's meats or veggies/fruits ....and considering the cost of gas/transportation -- that's a good thing! :)

• User
    10 years ago

Funkyart - I think they sell the enameled cast iron each December.

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

It's not out here where I live, but I looked at their weekly ad. The prices seem comparable to most of our regular grocers, but it seems a lot of the brands are not ones I recognize. Are they more branded to Aldi or are they regional brands?

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

I tried Aldis a few years ago when they first opened here. I was immediately turned off with the quarter deposit to use a shopping cart. Do they still do that?

I bought some canned goods and frozen meats and such. Everything looked and tasted gross. My family asked I not shop there anymore and I haven't.

I do know people here who love it. I just don't get it.

• myfoursquare
    10 years ago

You still put a quarter in the cart, but you get it back as soon as you put the cart back when you are done. I think it is great. It is irritating to me at other stores when people can not be bothered to return their cart, or won't bother to push it into the one in front of it if they do happen to return it to the corral. I wish other stores would use the quarter system.

We think Aldi is fantastic. The things that I don't like there, I wouldn't buy at any other grocery store either. I love to bag my own groceries the way I want them, and our store is always clean with a friendly staff. I do think the produce is not always as fresh as other stores, but when it is, it is such a steal.

• Happyladi
    10 years ago

They have cheap prices on things like milk and eggs but they don't carry everything. I wanted sauerkraut and they didn't have any. None!

• User
    10 years ago

I also like the quarter for the shopping cart. You get it back and it just prevents people from leaving them in the parking lot. This is something I have seen when vacationing in St. Barths for years - you can get a keychain with a fake euro on it that clips on and off to use for the carts -- so I thought it was funny to see it here in the states.

• maddielee
    10 years ago

I like the quarter for the shopping cart. you get it back when you return the cart, so why not?

Shopping carts left in parking lots, often blocking a parking space anoy me.

ML

• springroz
    10 years ago

I tried the Aldi in my town. Nothing there I would buy. To me, it just looked like off-brand canned goods, and some junky dollar store kitchen accessories.

Nancy

• straitlover
    10 years ago

Aldi had a double your price back guarantee on their own branded items, so don't be afraid to try stuff. Just save your receipt.

Their own branded items are made by the top company for that item, just w/ the Aldi label. I think their peanut butter is made by Skippy.

Stuff I've tried that I don't like:

Dishwasher detergent

The Millville granola bars that are like the Nature Valley Sweet and Salty Almond w/ the coating on the bottom

White and wheat sandwich bread

Mac and cheese box w/ the cheese powder (I get a craving once a year or so for the stuff!)

• glaserberl
    10 years ago

Our paper had an article about Aldi in today's paper.
    I do most of my shopping at Aldi. I haven't had a bad experience with their label yet. We have had some job changes and have to watch our spending and Aldi is definitely cheaper than our other grocery stores.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aldi Article

• karen.iz
    10 years ago

I love our Aldi. We used to live in CT, and the produce was hit or miss in Aldi there, but here it's wonderful and cheap. My regular weekly staples at Aldi include:

Pistachios, walnuts, sometimes pecans and cashews
    raisins
    Oatmeal (canisters)
    Chips (I have a house full of teenagers each weekend)
    some cereals (have to check for HFCS)
    Milk
    Eggs
    OJ
    cream cheese
    bacon
    hummus
    fresh pizzas (again, teens)
    cheese
    Carrots
    Celery
    Broccoli
    Zucchini or yellow squash
    Bell peppers
    onions, garlic
    Sweet potatoes
    bananas
    in season fruit (berries or apples/pears)
    cantaloupe
    avocados
    pineapple
    frozen berries for smoothies
    frozen shrimp
    spiral ham (they only have it at Easter and Thanksgiving, but it's wonderful)
    canned black beans
    spices - basil, cinnamon, parsley
    toilet paper - used to be a Charmin girl, but now only buy Aldi's - much cheaper and just as nice.
    honey

They don't have everything, and I don't buy meat there (except for occasional chicken), but it's worth it for the savings on the items I do buy there.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I went back this week for more berries-- but wasnt motivated to get anything else. I did check out the frozen shrimp but the price isnt better than "the home team" store ;) .

I was tempted to try the hummus but didnt this trip. Thanks for all the recommendations!

• sanschult
    10 years ago

Fresh OceanSpray Cranberries, 99 cents this week and everywhere else, including Wmart they are $2.

Winking Owl Merlot is my hubbys favorite. Rice Cakes, chips, eggs, Guacamole, frozen fish sometimes.
    Did not like plain yogurt because it had additives to thicken it.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for adding your favorites. I haven't been to Aldi's in awhile so I should check it out again. I havent bought their frozen fish but since I am returning to work and will have a long commute, frozen fish will help with meal planning. If I wait until I go to the store/fish monger to make fish, I won't ever have fish!

I havent had the guacamole but my bf has and said it was a reasonably good. He doesn't care for the yogurt either-- but he's picky about yogurt from all groceries.

WIsh we had wine! But the state store is next door so at least I can get both groceries and wine in the same quick trip!

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

A new Aldi's just opened not far from us. There is another one on the other end of town but I had never shopped there. DH and I went in a few days after the madness of the grand opening wore off. It was ok but I would not buy meat there, mainly because I am very picky about where I do buy any meat when I do buy it. I had been told their chocolate is very good. My friend was right. They sell, for $1.99, large bars of very good Austrian and German chocolate. I would go back just for that. But not for much else. Maybe some fruit, and the breads and bakery items looked ok. We typically make only 1-2 grocery stops a week at our favorite regional store (Publix) and occasionally go to Fresh Market or Whole Foods. No Trader Joe's here, sadly.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I get salad stuff there-- their spring mix is just as good as elsewhere and much cheaper. Also mushrooms, squash, peppers, onions and sweet potatoes. In the summer their berries were great. I don't buy meat either.. or baked goods/bread. I do buy butter and half and half there. I was very disappointed with the cheese and salad dressing. Haven't tried the canned goods but I'll likely give their beans a try in the next few weeks.

I don't buy cereal but they often have a name brand cereal-- and my grandmother was thrilled when I picked up some bugles for her (one of her favorite snack foods!)

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

What makes foods inexpensive? Read.........

Here is a link that might be useful: here

• funkyart
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seriously, Pattycakes?

The Aldi's model is hardly based on genetically modified food products. Perhaps you should start your own thread rather than grandstanding on another.

Here is a link that might be useful: Why is Aldi's cheaper?

• User
    10 years ago

GMs? Not in Aldi private label foods

Genetically Modified (GM) foods

We know that GM food is controversial and that many of our customers don't want to eat it. That's why we have a 'No GM' policy that requires all of our own label products to be free from GM ingredients.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aldi's stance on GM foods

• natebear zone 10B
    10 years ago

I remembered reading this thread and seeing a few comments about their meat tasting terrible. Then I read this headline this morning: Aldi confirms up to 100% horse meat in beef products. While the article doesn't mention literal cuts of fresh meat, it sure makes you wonder if that's the reason behind the awful taste.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aldi horse meat article

• User
    10 years ago

^^^^^
    Wow, talk about misleading, NATEBEAR.
    You didn't read any headline anywhere this morning unless this morning was February 3 - smdh
    This was a big scandal in Europe at the beginning of the year due to fraud committed by suppliers against Aldi and other supermarkets in Europe and the UK.
    Aldi and the other businesses did not label horsemeat as beef.
    I despise it when people/media mislead like this.

• natebear zone 10B
    10 years ago

Um, yes I did. It was posted in my facebook feed by a friend. I had no ill intentions in posting this here.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz