Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jterrilynn

Where would you go for five nights?

jterrilynn
10 years ago

...If you lived in Palm Beach County but didn't want to vacation in Florida , wanted to stay in the U.S and didn't want more than a two and a half hour flight. Husband must have a pool to lounge at and would like an in house bar. We want to do a mini vacation in two weeks. I would love some ideas. My idea of NC has been vetoed. We want to relax but have nice dining options in the evening.

Comments (28)

• nancybee_2010
    10 years ago

I don't really know this part of the country, but what about New Orleans? (Just thought I'd throw it out there, I've always wanted to go)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

It sounds like the location does not matter as much as the hotel/resort itself.

I would go to the Four Seasons Santa Fe. We were there last summer and it was lovely. Is that a little too far to fly?

If you want a nice pool to lounge at and a bar, then you are talking hotels and resorts. Id go to the webpage of my fave hotels, and or to SLH.com ... Small luxury hotels of the world.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Have you done the cruises that leave out of Florida? Even a three day one feels much longer.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

MTN, you nailed it! We didn't really think about it but the resort really is more important. I think that's why we were having a hard time with our little getaway. Nancy, for some reason I cannot get the man to go to New Orleans I 'll run it by him again. Off to check out SLH!

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ellendi, yes we have done that a few times and it is relaxing. I think I'm looking for something different. I'm worn out from getting the house ready to sell, selling it, moving and launching too soon into remodeling sons patio.

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

Santa Fe was a good suggestion. I also like Charleston, it's lovely and within your travel time.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Has anyone stayed on Saint Simons Island, Georgia?

• tinam61
    10 years ago

I have but it's been several years. VERY relaxing area. More condos, etc. but there are some nice hotel/resort type places. We enjoyed it there. We also love the Charleston area and somewhere not far from St. Simons is Savannah.

tina

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, husband likes the sound of Charleston. Now I need to find a nice place to stay. Maybe something with a water view and pool?

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

Kiawah Island is nice if you want a nice place on the ocean away from the Charleston tourist rat race. I stayed at an excellent VRBO there. The Inn on the Biltmore Estate in Ashville is also very nice though I think you said you ruled out NC.

• kswl2
    10 years ago

Better check out what's happening in the Caribbean before you commit to coastal Carolina. There's a storm heading for Nicaragua, and the models are changing pretty rapidly. St. Simons Island is a very, very touristy place at this time of year. You might do better at the Cloister in Sea Island.. I haven't been there in several years but its one of the nicest resorts that area has to offer. We like to stay on the river in Jekyll Island at the Jekyll Island Club. Not luxe but comfortable, it is a very beachy historic property that is laid back and casual, with far fewer people than the other islands of coastal Georgia.

• deegw
    10 years ago

St. Simons is my neck of the woods. I usually steer people away in the summer because it is so hot and humid but since you are coming from FL, you know the drill.

DD works at the Cloister, which was just named Travel and Leisure's #2 resort in the continental US. The company's other property on the island, The Lodge, was named #1. The spa was #4. It is not inexpensive but is really lovely and the service is impeccable.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

I, too, thought about the heat, humidity, etc. but figured since the poster is in FL, she would know that.

Love Kiawah and Seabrook Island also. More condos and private homes than resorts though. There are a few restaurants there on the islands, but you will be a ways from Charleston and it's bevy of restaurants. We stay on Seabrook ourselves when in the area. Harbor Island is also nice and you're within a couple hours of both Charleston and Savannah.

tina

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh boy this isnâÂÂt going to be easy it seems husband and I are on two different pages. This morning I got up to him excitingly telling me he found the place, Myrtle Beach. ThatâÂÂs about the last place I feel like going to. I was sort of excited about the Kiawah Island idea with kayaking, bike riding and nature. Actually a brief plan was four nights on Kiawah for relaxing and a night in Charleston for more action before heading home.
    So, I guess I need to explore some in-between both our ideas. This mini trip is falling around the same dilemma as our house hunting lol.

Off to explore more of your suggestions. Hopefully we will book something today.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

ohmigosh tjerrilyn - you and I are on the same page! I do not like Myrtle Beach at all. Thankfully my husband feels the same way.

If you cannot persuade him to go elsewhere, try north or south myrtle for a little less action - and people LOL.

Let us know what you book!

• nanny2a
    10 years ago

I live just outside of Hilton Head Island, SC, and do NOT recommend Myrtle Beach at all! Charleston, Kiawah Island or St. Simons would be preferable in all elements over Myrtle Beach, which has become so congested and commercialized. Wonderful places to stay in Charleston, as well as unbelievably marvelous dining choices. Kiawah is total relaxation and nature inspired. I havenâÂÂt been to St Simons in several years, but also loved itâÂÂs relaxing atmosphere. The Cloisters was superb last time we stayed there.....heavenly! We live right on the coast, too, but found all three of those mentioned above delightful get away spots. CanâÂÂt say the same for Myrtle Beach!

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nanny, what areas or places would you recommend we stay in Charleston? I think this is the only place we can agree on. As far as me getting pampered that has changed too. Husband does not want to spend more than $300 a night.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Hey, what about flying JetBlue to Puerto Rico?

It is off season there.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

MNT, PERFECT !!! Husband loves this idea too. Have you been? Can you recommend area/hotel?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Well, I haven't been there since a I was a kid on a cruise.

But, after a difficult period, I understand the island is going thru a big tourist resurgence. IIRC the NYT did an article about a a new very high end Ritz Carlton there, and that was what caught my interest. Maybe search for that article.

I looked into the new Ritz there for a getaway for DH and I, and i remember we had to fly thru FL to get there (we would take Jetblue out of Westchester). We ended up not going because our nanny wasn't avail to watch the kids the one weekend that was best for schedules and weather.

But IIRC there are lots of new hotels, and this time of year prices are lower.

HTH!

• tinam61
    10 years ago

In Charleston:

Meeting St. Inn
    Francis Marion
    Planters Inn
    Charleston Place
    Harbor View Inn has a nice roof-top bar

tina

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you very much Tina! I do think PR is the spot now. There are some great deals that include flight and the Ritz. So, very reasonable and with water/beach for husband and day trip nature tours for me Plus a nice resort (me). We are meeting up with family in Croatia next year so want a nice but not over the top mini vacation this year.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Great!

You will owe me a review of Croatia now,when you go!

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Done! So glad that is settled, Puerto Rico and the Ritz for five nights BOOKED! MNT, yes I'll give you a review of Croatia, we are all meeting in Brac. At least this is the latest plan. My sister in law wanted Norway and even tried tricking everyone by saying that I wanted to go there. However, the men in our lives are English and the beer is very cheap in Croatia lol.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

PR sounds great! My SIL and brother have been a couple of times for her work. They really like it, and it's pretty close.

• Delilah66
    10 years ago

j - If you don't mind sharing, did you book travel and room separately or a pkg of some type?

Thanks!

java

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Javachik, If you get on JetBlue you can hit packages then âÂÂview all getawaysâÂÂ. When ready to buy, my husband was directed to Expedia where you could pick what hotel. We booked the San Juan Ritz because it had a forth night free deal but there were others. If you wanted the Ritz keep in mind that there are two Ritz hotels in Puerto Rico. I think but am not sure that the Dorado may be the nicer one? Anyway, I donâÂÂt care because I will make the best of it.

• caminnc
    10 years ago

jterrilynn, hope your trip is wonderful. My DD boyfriend is leaving for Puerto Rico tomorrow morning for a spearfishing trip. He goes often and loves it. Also I am leaving Saturday for a week in Florida, how funny is that? When are you leaving?

This post was edited by caminnc on Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 6:56