Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msrose

I need a pinkish brown eyeshadow

msrose
10 years ago

I feel like this is the only color that looks good on me, but I have such a hard time finding it. I've been buying a Maybelline quad that has one I like, but the last time I went to buy it, the pinkish brown color had gotten smaller and the others colors in the quad were larger, so I'm not getting much of it. If you wear this color can you tell me where you get it.

Comments (29)

• User
    10 years ago

How dark of a brown are you looking for?

I very much like Smashbox's eyeshadow trios. I buy mine off ebay as they're spendy. I know some people are creeped out by this but I buy new and have never had any problems. The shadows themselves are nice and very flattering.

Wet n Wild eyeshadow have nice color pay off. I have quite a few of their palettes. Maybe look at the Sweet as Candy Color Icon palette (trio). My favorite is Walking on Eggshells (also Icon palette trio) though I don't use the white. All three colors are dupes for MAC shadows (pink - Naked Lunch, brown (my fav) Cork, and white - Shroom).

• User
    10 years ago

Check out MAC's Soft Brown, Bamboo, Quarry, and Corduroy (all matte).

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I would say a medium pinkish brown? I figured I'd have to go beyond, Maybelline, Cover Girl and Revlon, but that's okay. I don't wear makeup every day, so it will last a while. I'll check out the ones mentioned.

• goldgirl
    10 years ago

I use MAC's matte Blackberry as my go-to neutral. It looks dark in the case (and photos - Google MAC blackberry and click on images to see the color), but looks sheer when applied lightly with a brush.

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is going to be so hard. I like several of the MAC colors! Where do you buy MAC?

• goldgirl
    10 years ago

I've linked to their locator, below. They have individual stores in some malls, but Nordstrom and other department stores carry the line. Sephora doesn't, at least not at this time.

I'm a big fan of MAC mattes. I like natural looking shadows and since I use them with a light hand, the pots last a long time. The colors also go on smooth and evenly. I've never found a brand I like better.

Here is a link that might be useful: Where to buy

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Do you both where MAC blush also? Any favorite colors?

• User
    10 years ago

All my MAC were gifts but I'd buy online from one of their stores.

I don't own any of their blushes. My favorite blush, hands down, is Bobbi Brown Tawny (matte). Their website describes it as a medium pinky brown. I'd call it a brownish brick rose color. It looks nothing like the website stock photo on my monitor. This is the only blush I've ever actually repurchased. Sometimes I'll use it alone or I'll add another brighter color to the apples my cheeks. It doesn't look like anything exciting but it's a very flattering natural/neutral color.

If it helps, my skintone is light with yellow undertones and I tan easily. Off the top of my head foundations that match are Neutrogena Healthy Glow in #10 Classic Ivory and Clinique Even Better in Linen. (Actually these two foundations are really similar. Pretty spot on in color and slightly dewy. The Clinique has better coverage.)

Hi I'm Shee and I like makeup. :)

• funkyart
    10 years ago

I love my Chanel Ombre d'eau liquid eyeshadow 60 (Sand). It's not exactly liquid.. it's liquid powder. It has great coverage and is good on its own or as a base for other color and it has a nice bit of shimmer without being sparkly. It's perfectly fine for day wear.

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

Hi Shee, I love that you love makeup !! how about concealers, any favourites ?

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Shee - Mary Kay had a lipstick years ago that was Tawny and it was the perfect pink with just a touch of brown. I was so upset when they quit carrying it. I'll definitely check that out when I'm makeup shopping.

funkyart - Adding that to my list of ones to check out. Thanks!

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Shee - Do you use the eyeshadow primer from MAC? I bought Quarry, primer, and a brush today. I've never used primer, but they told me the eyeshadow would blend better and last longer.

• User
    10 years ago

I'm sorry I didn't come back to this sooner!

Msrose - How are you doing in your eyeshadow hunt?

I've never used MAC's primer but I'd imagine it's pretty good. Primers do really work. My favorite eye primer is Urban Decay Primer Potion (original). I've been using it for years and it's really amazing. Your eyeshadow WILL NOT crease or fade with this. I'm talking I can be sweated soaked and it's still in place. It does also provide a smoother canvas to apply the shadow. Did you like the Quarry primer?
    I haven't used any Mary Kay makeup in a long time. I'd like to try some again.

I haven't done it yet, but sometime I just may try and make my own for giggles. This girl (makeup artist) discovered a formula that's comparable.
    http://www.maskcara.com/maskcara/2012/06/22/diy-eyeshadow-primer/

I don't care for most E.l.f. products I've tried but their studio eyeshadow primer is pretty decent for $3. I've been using it on days I'm not going anywhere. It helps the application and I even like it alone on my eyelids if I'm not going to wear shadow that day. It's a flesh color and give the lids a fresh look.

Mitch - Honestly no. I haven't found one I love. I thankfully don't have bad circles but my eyes do need more help if I'm lacking sleep. I think they all crease. I don't normally remember to use primer at the bottom edges of my eyes but that helps. I really wanted to love Laura Mercier's Secret Concealer but was disappointed. I have shade #2 (peachy color) and I can only wear it if I have a little tan. The other colors available didn't work either. I don't like Benefit's Erase Paste brightening camouflage - No.2 (peachy color). I don't think it conceals anything and the brightening effect draws attention, IMO, to the dark circles. I do like it as a highlighter. Maybelline Super Stay Concealer in Light is ok. My go to lately as been Hard Candy's Glamoflauge concealer in Light. It's been compared to Kat Von D's concealer. I'd like to try hers but don't have access to it and don't like to try and guess concealer or foundation colors online. I use the Glamoflauge in all seasons. Right now I do have a little tan but I like to also blend it down along the sides of my nose into a triangle to highlight that area of my face. I'd also love to try Bobbi Brown's concealer but I don't have access to that either.

As far as concealing any blemishes or discolorations, I prefer to use a touch more of foundation on those spots and I pounce/stipple the area and blend out. This works the best for me.

As much as I love makeup it's something I can easily waste hours looking up or messing with. I have to purposely limit my buying. I've always thought makeup was fun and amazing!

Here is a link that might be useful: UD primer potion - original

• User
    10 years ago

I remember a while back we were talking about highlight and contour . . . here are some good examples of that.

Here is a link that might be useful: maskcara - hac

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Shee - I tried the Quarry after I got home and it's lighter than I thought it would be. The girl that helped me was putting the samples on her hand, but maybe we should have been putting them on mine. I'm pretty pale though, so I didn't think it would look lighter on me. I usually wear just one color instead of blending several, but I'm thinking I might buy a darker one next time and try using two. I liked handwritten, corduroy, haux, and brown down. Here's a palette I found online that has the colors I like.

I also bought one of their brushes, but I feel like I'm not putting as much on as I do with an applicator. Do you use a brush?

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

In looking at the MAC website, I realize it wasn't actually a primer that I got. It was a paint pot in soft ochre. She described it as a primer, so I'm not sure why I got that instead of an actual primer.

• moonshadow
    10 years ago

msrose, I usually try samples on the inside of my wrist just below palm. I'm a MAC matte fan as well but any sample I've tried on I always borrow their hand mirror (no prob) and go to nearest window for natural light. Store lighting makes it really hard to judge.

mitch, if you're talking under eye concealer I've finally found a solution that works, lasts all day, and doesn't crease, settle into fine lines or fade. I've had to wear concealer since I was in my early 20s, not due to dark circles ala lack of sleep, it's more a case of thin skin under eyes. So I've tried a lot of products over the years.

First use the applicator and dab on a thin layer of Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser under my eyes. Then I pat it with my fingertips to blend. Let set a few seconds. Over that I apply Bare Minerals Well Rested. I use a flat concealer brush, dip in Well Rested, tap excess off, and sweep a light layer on my upper lid before applying shadow (brightens the eye & has SPF in it, so double benefits). Then, still using flat side of brush, I pat some under my eye area on top the Maybelline. Then give it one or two light gentle sweeps to blend, inner to outer under eye area. It probably sounds heavy and cakey but it's not, I can't stand that look/feeling on my skin, a big reason I use very little makeup overall.

Whole process takes less than a minute.
    It leaves my eyes looking bright, refreshed, and natural.

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

Thanks Shea; this is so timely, I was just reading concealer reviews on Sephora a few minutes ago. I need the concealer in the corner of my eyes, where the nose bone starts and to cover some spots, I'll try your method for sure.

• User
    10 years ago

Haha! Quarry is the eyeshadow I mentioned! I thought that was a really strange name for primer! Oops. I'll blame it on being sleepy.

"It was a paint pot in soft ochre." So the color isn't Quarry? Maybe she meant to say the paint pots don't need a primer? Hmm.. I don't know why she would've said anything about a primer.

I do use brushes for my eyeshadow. I have used applicators at times for my lid color but use a fluffy tapered brush for my crease area. A dense brush works better for lid area (or use the flat sponge applicator that normally comes with). I find cheaper brushes work just as well.

I agree with Moon about heading to find natural light after trying samples.

Oh, also on that page that talks about mixing your own primer, I don't understand why the colors look that faded on the '4 hour later' arm unless she was rubbing at it. I've never had my eyeshadow color fade with UD primer.

Here is a link that might be useful: elf brush

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Shee - The eyeshadow is Quarry, the one you mentioned. She recommended wearing the Paint Pot in Ochre under it. Maybe she said something like it makes a good primer, but I don't know why she would recommend that over an actual primer. Oh well, maybe I use it on one eye only and see if I see a difference.

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

Shee - thanks for the Maskcara site. I have spent way too much time there today. It's amazing what she can do with makeup!

• ttodd
    10 years ago

Late, but, I love Bare Minerals Bare Skin.

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Foxes - Is Bare Skin the color?

This post was edited by msrose on Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 19:48

• rilie
    10 years ago

I have pretty bad dark circles under my eyes, and one concealer I keep coming back to is Rimmel 'hide the blemish', available at any drugstore or Walmart.

I use a few E.L.F products (PETA approved), from their studio line. I like their tinted moisturizer for more casual days when I'm not wearing alot of make-up, and I like their mineral infused mascara. YMMV

• rilie
    10 years ago

mean to add... I'm also using Benefit Fake-Up, which is a hydrating concealer. Moisturizer & concealer in one tube.

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just discovered Benefit makeup recently when I was in Ulta. They used a blush on me that I really liked, but it was all a little more than I wanted to spend. They also used their eyebrow gel and powder on me, which I really liked, but I ended up ordering a similar product from E.L.F for much cheaper. I'm having a hard time making my eyebrows even though.

• rilie
    10 years ago

What I really like about E.L.F. is that they're cheap enough to try lots of new things.... I don't mind trying a funky green eye shadow that I might only use twice if it costs just $3.

• User
    10 years ago

Terriks - You're welcome! I won't read for a week or so and then spend time catching up. I really enjoy her blog.

• msrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just saw another great example of hac-ing the other day with Julie Chen.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH