Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msrose

Do you have a favorite pink nail polish?

msrose
9 years ago

I recently painted my toe nails for the first time in over 20 years. I picked out a pretty pearly pink, but it looked more like a clear pearl after two coats. I thought I would find out if anyone has a favorite pink, so that I hopefully don't waste money on another color that turns out bad.

Comments (39)

• no_green_thumb
    9 years ago

OPI ---- A rose at dawn - broke by noon --- my favorite color - nice soft pink, not too bright, not too pale.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

OPI Passion if they still make that. It is a sheer nude type of pink. I like nude type of colors on my hands vs. my toes.

• User
    9 years ago

OPI La Paz itively Hot and OPI Por Favor. They probably don't make the second one anymore though. And actually, I suppose that one is more of a dusty violet/pink.

I pretty much wear either a red or the first polish I listed above all the time (for my toes).

• jshore
    9 years ago

OPI Bubble Bath is my favorite.

• msrose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow! You all listed OPI and I've never even heard of it. Where do you find it?

• User
    9 years ago

Gsciencechick--- that's my fingernail color as well. If they don't have it at the salon I go with the closest color. Pale on the fingertips and bolder on the toes :-)

I confess that I still do not like dark colors such as black or lighter colors in the blue and green range.....although all polish is "unnatural" to some extent, the pinks and reds are at least a more logical extension of the natural skin and nail color, or at least, colors of other soft tissue parts (lips, for example). Black, especially, seems to me to give a somewhat dirty or costume-y appearance to the nails. I used to only see very young women wear blue and green shades--- and they were likely wearing colored eye shadow as well--- but I'm now seeing women in their sixties with these colors, and it looks less defensible on them, lol.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Funny story....when I was much younger, I rec'd a nail polish sample as part of a give away. I loved the color pink...it looked so great on me, so natural for my skin tone. I used it on my nails and my toes. Well I was getting ready to take a shower, looked down and realized why the color was so good...it matched my nipples! After that, I referred to it as "nipple pink". I still look for something along those colors....

• User
    9 years ago

L'oreal #330 Fleur de Lis is truly pearly pink.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

Jshore, I use Bubble Bath on my fingernails, too.

Msrose, most nail salons have OPI and Essie colors. You can buy OPI at nicer pharmacies and beauty salon stores. I've seen Essie at BB&B. Maybe they sell them at big chain drugstores, I'm not sure. They have the best colors. I used to wear Your Villa or Mine on my toes, but cannot find it now. I've got Hong Kong Sunrise on at the moment but it is not vivid enough.

My dad, a doctor, saw blue nail polish one time and said "it makes you look necrotic". Have never been able to wear blue or even green nail polish since then.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

GS - lovely color. I'm with you. Only very light/nude shades on my fingernails - or my favorite - french manicure. My toes are usually bright. I ALWAYS have polished toenails. I love the aqua blue color on toes but rarely use it. I also like black, but when I tried that, it stained my toenails and I always use a primer first. I love Essie polish.

Ya'll are good. I can't think of the name of a single shade of nail polish I own! LOL!!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

I could have wrote what you wrote Tina! I have found that if your nails go a bit yellow because of not using a primer, blue nail polish will reverse it. I switch colors fairly often, from blue to yellow to plum so it helps.
    I can't name a single color either.

• OllieJane
    9 years ago

OPI Bubble Bath is a favorite of mine too!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

If you have an Ulta store near you, they sell both OPI and Essie. Some 'to the public' beauty supply stores sell it too. But salons may be limited in the colors they actually have for sale as they only keep the newest or most popular colors for sale.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

OPI Bubble Bath is my go-to color for my fingernails. I had no idea it was so popular! I also really like Esse Mademoiselle, which is very similar.

For a little more color, I go to OPI Dulce De Leche.

I tend to stick with these "safe" colors for my hands but for pedicures, I have done red, orange, even blue. However, last time I got a pedi, I picked a very pale pink just a bit deeper than Bubble Bath, and I really like it. Of course I can't remember the name of it now.

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

A really fun (bright, but not garish) sort of hot (not neon) pink from OPI, is "That's Hot! Pink" is one of my fave summer pedicure colors. Women often ask what the color name is while I'm getting a pedi or waiting to dry at the nail place.

• msrose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Primer for nails? I had no idea there was such a thing. Yellow nails is one reason I stopped painting my nails years ago. I'll check my Ulta for OPI. Do they make the primer also?

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

by primer do you mean a base coat ?

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

I guess I 'm the odd man~I love a dark red, have worn hot pink occasionally, and at the moment have the gel nails with a French manicure. On my toes I have coral. I've never seen a light pink that has appealed to me, but will look for the OPI colors next time I have my nails done. It might be a nice change.

• nat4b
    9 years ago

Msrose, yes OPI makes basecoats too (I think that's what ladies meant), well topcoats too :) If your nails get yellow from nail polish, primer and base coats won't help. At least they don't help me. OPI has tons of pinks. Bubble Bath to me is a nude, and I don't like nudes on toes.
    Anyway, OPI is also sold at Walmart, Target, Sally Beauty, JCPenney. At Ulta you can also use a coupon.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Kroger also carries OPI. My favorite is a red-Kennebunkport. Sadly, it is discontinued.

Linda

• jshore
    9 years ago

My daughter told me she read somewhere that OPI Bubblebath is Giada DeLaurentis' favorite nail color. I guess it is quite popular.
    My father used to say that only cheap girls polished their toenails, not that I listened to him. He also wouldn't let me get my ears pierced....

• homersmom
    9 years ago

I usually wear OPI Strawberry Margarita, You're Such a Kabuki Queen, or You're a Pisa Work (old colors, I'm sure). Last week I tried nail wraps and they're kind of fun - time consuming, but fun.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

The primer (base coat) I use is OPI "Bonded" or something like that. I think that is the correct name. Extends the life of your manicure. I always use it.

Homersmom - I have a friend who sells the nail wraps. I've never seen them on the toes - cute! They have a french manicure wrap - I've thought about trying that for my fingers. I don't really like to go and get manni/pedi's because I don't like sitting in the chair that long! LOL

• nat4b
    9 years ago

Homersmom, great job on the nail wraps!
    They are fun, but I tried them couple times last year and it was quite hard to place and shape them (and a pita to remove ;))

• homersmom
    9 years ago

tinam61 - I have the French manicure on my fingernails now. Love them!

• tinam61
    9 years ago

Homersmom - are those wraps or painted? Looking good!

• homersmom
    9 years ago

tinam61 - they're wraps! I used to get professional manicures regularly when I did hand modeling many moons ago. I have noticed that as I' m aging my nails aren't as strong as they once were and the wraps seem to keep them from splitting.

• User
    9 years ago

OPI Strawberry Margarita - I own and like this color too. Going to dig it out tonight. I like OPI Bubble Bath but usually use it with a french manicure.

• msrose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nail wraps are new to me also. I always wondered how people painted in such detail on people's nails!

I like this color. Anyone ever tried it?

OPI Japanese Rose Garden

• funnygirl
    9 years ago

OPI Aphroditie's Pink Nightie and Hawaiian Orchid are a couple of my favorites.

• nanny2a
    9 years ago

Oh, OPI Japanese Rose Garden is a heavenly pink, msrose, just the shade I love to wear! IâÂÂll have to get some as soon as my nails grow out some more.

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

Annie Deighnaugh--FUNNY!!!!

Some other OPI fave fun pinks; La Paz itively Hot, Strawberry Margarita, Feelin' Hot, Hot, Hot, and Pink Flamenco (plus That's Hot Pink, which I'd already mentioned)

A couple of deeper pinks; Koala Berry and You're a Pisa Work.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Just saw a commercial that OPI colors are available for interior paint at ACE Hardware. LOL.

Here is a link that might be useful: OPI Paints at ACE Hardware

• dedtired
    9 years ago

OPI makes paint? Wow.

Had a mani-pedi today. My fingernails are It's a Girl and my toes are Suzi's Always Hungary.

I always get itchy waiting for them to dry and leave before they are dry enough. Managed to get two little dings on my fingernails. Oh well, I've never had a mani that lasted more than three days anyway.

• msrose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

dedtired - What? No pictures? :)

I went to Walmart yesterday and was shocked to see they do have OPI. I almost missed it, because it was on the very top shelf. Unfortunately, they didn't have a good selection, so I'll still have to check out Ulta.

• nat4b
    9 years ago

Suzi's Hungary Again is pretty.
    MsRose, Walmart and Target have core polishes, Ulta and Sally get new collections too.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

Here's Suzi's Hungary Again

• msrose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

dedtired - Very pretty!

I ended up buying Pure Ice Peony when I was at Walmart and I really like it and it was cheap. Is OPI more, because of the name and the selection or is it a better polish? It's funny, because I started out wanting a soft pink, but then after looking at some of the colors you guys suggested, I started wanting a bright pink

(not my nails)

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Dedtired, Suzy's Hungary Again is my go-to color! Started wearing it last year and went to it again this summer. I love it. I play around with some others during the fall and winter with my pedis. Don't even bother with a mani most of the time since I am always digging in the dirt and they don't last. I don't like my nails long anyway. My nail beds are already long, I have long fingers and am in the habit of keeping my nails fairly short.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations