Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
You can call me My4dogs now!

Posted by my3dogs (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 19:01

I had a nice explanation of how I came to adopt Rooney from New England Brittany Rescue yesterday, but it went poof when I previewed it.

My three, Sam, Jenny and Riley have been an incredible comfort to me after losing my beloved Mum on 7/8. I felt that I could 'pay it forward' by helping out another dog who needed a home.

Here is Rooney, as I first saw him on PetFinder. WHO could resist that face? He's about 1 year old and an absolute doll. He started out at a shelter in KS, and was transported to a foster home on Maine by volunteers, who formed a 'Brittany Railroad' across the country. He was in foster care here when I saw him.

photo Rooney3onPetFinder_zps37a00b3b.jpg

I met him at his foster mom's on 7/23; then he was brought here Friday evening to meet my three. It may be that they recognize that they are all the same (Brittanys), but I was pretty darn proud of my 3 AND Rooney, and agreed to adopt him. He is house broken, gives wonderful kisses, and is learning to go up and down stairs, something he'd never done before. He's also getting the hang of the doggie doors out to their 60 x 80 pen, and kiddie pool.

He's discovered the toy basket -
 photo Rooney072720144_zps51de2784.jpg

Going back for more to complete the trail between the basket and my office -
 photo Rooney072720145_zps243db909.jpg

And napping in my office after playing. Doesn't he blend beautifully with the rug in here? My other 3 are called 'orange and white' and Rooney, with all those freckles, is an 'orange roan'. He has found his forever home here, and will always be loved.
 photo Rooneynappinginoffice072720142_zps6d32f9b0.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: You can call me My4dogs now!

What a happy story for everyone involved! I bet your mom would be thrilled.....

o

He's beautiful! You're both very lucky to have found each other. Maybe you should register with your new name and I should take over yours since I just got my 3rd dog :)

o

There is always room for one more! He looks like a sweetie! Yours must be one happy home. :)

o

Sweet story. My neighbors rescued a Brittany within the last year. His name is Hunter and looks a lot like Rooney.

o

Congrats! I love his freckles and how he matches your rug. He looks like such a sweet boy.

o

<3 <3 <3 I love this story! He's obviously comfortable and sensing this is forever. What dog wouldn't be happy there ??!!

o

I love it when pets get their forever homes. Everyone wins.

o

Couldn't have found a better home!

o

CONGRATULATIONS on the new addition to the family, and thank you for saving the life of a homeless dog!

I have 2 awesome Welsh Springer Spaniels in the family, people often confuse them for Brittany.

o

So handsome, so playful, so lucky, and so long on the train to get to you! More joy in your house now.

o

Congrats on the new addition - he is gorgeous!

o

What a lovely addition to your family! Did he come with that delightful name or did you choose it for him? It seems to suit him perfectly!

o

So sorry about your mum -- but Rooney is a HeartGifted and True Treasure -- and bless your very kind heart for giving him a forever home!!!

Look at that sweet face!!!! :)

Many hugs and much love to all!!! :)

o

He's a beauty and lucky to have adopted into such a loving home.
I love the feathers on his legs.

I'm curious about the name too - it's one of my family names.

o

Love the name and the dog is fabulous, this is one time can say "you lucky dog" lol.

o

Congratulations on the new baby! I’m so happy for the doggie now that he has such a good momma. In the area I’m from originally the Brittany’s were used mainly for hunting and not considered pets. This always disturbed me. Thank goodness for people like you! My mom recently passed as well and pets can be more of a comfort than people sometimes because it’s so unconditional.
My nest Terri

o

He does look like an absolute darling, congrats to you !!

o

Sweet boy. I'm glad he's found a loving, forever home. We have four dogs too, all rescues. Sometimes four seems like eight, but I wouldn't trade any of them!!

o

OMG, he is sooo cute! Congratulations!!!

This post was edited by caminnc on Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 7:34

o

Congratulations! Beautiful dog!

o

THANK-YOU for welcoming my sweet boy to GW.

detired, I'd love to see a picture of Hunter if you can get one!

Rooney came with that name, and I just love it. Riley and Rooney, being my younger ones, are having fun playing together.

The manila envelope that came with him on his journey from Kansas, where I suspect he was named by the shelter workers, reads 'ROONEY <3, SILLY ORANGE/WHITE ROAN BOY'.
Inside are the records of him being micro-chipped, given his shots such as rabies. He is recently neutered, but that is not noted on these records. That adds to the mystery of seeing a DOB on the records of 6/21/13. Since he was listed as a stray, and not claimed at the shelter, that made me wonder if the story on PetFinder was correct. I called the shelter (Kansas Humane Society) yesterday, and the very nice woman there said that the vets are getting very good at estimating a dog's age by examining their teeth, and that is likely their educated guess.

He spent last night on my bed, with Riley, Jenny and me. Sam usually spends nights on the LR couch. I was thrilled that after having him a bit more than 24 hours, that there was NO growling by anyone, as the bed (queen) gained one more dog. They all settled in, pawed at me for a bit of loving before we went to sleep, and that was that! I couldn't be more proud of ALL of them.

o

Congratulations on Rooney finding you! He's a sweetie and just a beautiful dog! I'm so partial to Brittanies. We had 2 when I was younger, and we just got home from my brother's house where we were entertained by his aging Brittany, Winston. Such great dogs!

o

Hooray!!! Love stories like this one. They make my heart smile! :)

o

Aw! What a sweet looking doggie! I'm glad they all along so well right off. You can tell he's making himself right at home with the toys. Too cute.

o

WOW...what a great story and a lovely sweet addition to your home. I am so glad for you and your sweet dogs. Happy "My4dogs"

o

He is such a beauty, and a lucky guy to come live with you and your pack.

o

I know of a 9 y.o. Golden needing a home. Want to be "My5dogs"?:)

What a beautiful boy and nice story. So glad you found each other!

o

Oh so glad for you and lucky boy Rooney! We are now one year into having two dogs. A first of many years of always having just one. Never knew how fun it is to watch them play, or how nice it is for them to have each other while we are away. This being decorating forum and all, I'm sure we all admire how beautifully those darling britts enhance your lovely home. The colorways just work, dahling :)
I never commented about your ''Mum"; sometimes I hesitate, wanting to
say just the right thing. And then it feels too late. I loved seeing the picture of your parents. It brought your descriptions of them them to life. You were a giving daughter, and..... going to a lighter place, you ARE a wonderful doggie mama. :)
I doubt there's a regular poster here who hasn't a warm spot in their heart for you, and share a real delight in your happy addition.
Hugs
Marti

o

How sweet, both of you!

o

That's one lucky dog----and he is beautiful! Congrats!

o

Congratulations on the addition to your family!

o

Bwah, why can't I see the pictures???

o

I'm so happy for you all! Rooney is blessed to have a "forever home" and family with you.
Lynn

o

I'm a huge sporting dog fan, so YAY!!! Congrats!

o

I'm glad no one has said, 'Are you CRAZY?' Brittanys are known for their 'exuberance', and when people who know the breed learn I have three, they have asked that. But with sweet Sam being 14, and Jenny being 12ish, they are very well behaved and Sam still chases tennis balls. I can't wait for my usual mailman to see Rooney, as he just loved coming inside my entry porch to get some kisses from Sam, Jenny and Riley; wait til he sees Rooney!

Last night was the second with three of them in bed, and it was fine. Sam laid on the floor beside the bed.

I just took this, behind me in my office. Do you think he coordinates with the loveseat??? I've learned here how it's important to coordinate the pets with the decor!

photo Rooneynapping072914AM_zps1e6c440d.jpg

o

I first met you as BrittanyDogMom and when I read your posts, I always call you BDM in my head. Rooney looks like he fits right in with your family. You are wonderful to create a safe and loving home for him.

o

Ahhh... we had a Brittany for 14 years. Chelsea was our son's puppy and she loved her place on our sofa. She was brown and white, guess she would be called a Roan as she was spotted on the legs. She had hip problems and the last few years were hard on her. After 6 months of being dogless, we got two minilabradoodles - a brother and sister. I am sure Chelsea was up on Rainbow Bridge saying, "Yeah...it takes TWO to fill my spot. Well, no one fills her spot, we just make room for more.

o

I am so sorry about the loss of your Mum. So very sorry. :(

Your new sweetie is just a gorgeous boy. I am amazed that they are all getting along so well. Speaks to the wonderful nature of the breed. My sister had two for many years . . .one of them in particular was my favorite dog ever. Had I had a son, they would have shared the same name (Brendan). I'd have no problem naming a little boy after such a great dog!

o

I'm thrilled to say that on Rooney's 6th day here, that it just keeps getting better! He and my second youngest, Riley have bonded and they love to chase each other around the 'puppy pen'. He jumps up on the bed each night and is a wonderful cuddler. I just had to stop keying as I got a happy lap visit from him with some kisses.

The toy basket is nearly emptied each day. Those toys, many of which have lasted through 6 dogs, are all new to Rooney and he enjoys distributing them throughout the first floor. He so smart, that if I were smarter than HE is, I am sure I could train him to put them back!

My Dad always had a Brittany while I was growing up, and he hunted them, but they were family members and well-loved, always. Having had one as a 'brother or sister' all those years, which is what we called them, I just knew I had to carry on the tradition. I'm sure Dad is pointing out Rooney to Mum and is thrilled to see my new baby.

o

Awww! Rooney sounds like such a dream. I am certain your parents are both so happy to see him so loved and joyful in your lovely home.

o

Rooney is such a beautiful dog and that's a great adoption story!

o

Lovely story... :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here