Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

Do you buy when you see it or wait till you need it?

neetsiepie
10 years ago

Ive been perusing CL and thrift shops for decorative items to use for DDs wedding. Ive found a lot of things I can use, but Ive also been running across a lot of things I want to use in my own home decor, but Im not ready to use them yet..

I am going tonight to pick up a live ficus tree and tomorrow evening to pick up a craft item for DD. Both are incredible deals, but i dont have the space for the trees permanent home and the craft item is for the bride-it`ll replace her broken one, even tho she wont be crafting with it for a while.

I bought a gorgeous wool area rug ($30 including pad) from a high end retired couple`s downsizing with the intent to use it for the lounge area of the wedding reception , but upon seeing it in person decided it needs to live in my living room (which is wed storage area #2.

Am I a nut or do others do the `buy it now, use it later method of decorating shopping?

Comments (10)

• User
    10 years ago

I have been buying for my bedroom make over for about a year picking up things here and there as they go on sale (I never pay full price) I have had a hard time finding things that tie it all together so it takes time. Navy is a hard color to match especially in fabric here (awful fabric store) So to answer the question to I buy for future decorating yes so I can save money.

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

No, I can't buy anything until I'm ready. Otherwise, I end up with a bunch of disjointed stuff. I've passed on a bunch of deals because I wasn't sure if the item would actually work and well, it's not much of a deal if it doesn't fulfill its purpose.

• User
    10 years ago

When I shop, I find stuff to buy. And when i am shopping for one particular type of item, I'm bound to find things i wasn't looking for and didn't anticipate but that are just what I need (or want). The only way to avoid it is to stay off the Internet, throw out the catalogs and stay out of stores!

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Both! Three years before I even knew I was building a new house or moving to a new state I purchased 2 antique mirrors in NC. I knew I would *someday* use them 'in my new home' in my master bath~if you 'buy' it, it will come. I also bought a small area rug to use in the kitchen, as well as 4 antique chairs for the kitchen eating area, and a countless accessories.

I believe timing is everything and you can't always plan for it. I just let the cards fall. ;o)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

Depends on how unique it is or the price. We have storage room so that's not the issue. I would never buy something like a sofa unless it was something magnificent for nothing and I wouldn't buy something so unique decorating wise to save for later because my style/colors might change.

• neetsiepie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the $10 ficus i bought tonight. Im not ready to overhaul the family room yet, but I couldnt pass it up. The 20 gallon ceramic planter its potted in would cost more than $10. Poor thing got beat up a bit on the drive home, but it`ll fill out fine and be perfect for the room in a few months..

• User
    10 years ago

Ficus trees will sometimes lose all their leaves after being moved---- after the leaves turn yellow. We moved a ficus about 10 blocks from an outdoor market to our apartment in New York City. Six years later we moved the same tree---more than doubled in size---from the same apt to St. Louis. Both times it lost all its leaves and both times it came back better than ever.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Cute tree and a great bargain.

No, I never buy things for the house because I may want it in the future. Chances are I will change my mind by then, plus I have limited storage. I do buy things and return them, though. I've been searching for a quilt or duvet for the guest bedroom for ages. I think I have bought five and returned them all. There's an oriental rug in there that complicates matters.

But no, if I am not ready to use it right away, I don't buy it.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Dedtired, you must be a twin to one of my friend's. lol Are you a Libra by chance? ;o)

• satine_gw
    10 years ago

Hi all. I usually just lurk here but had to chime in with my story. I was at Goodwill last week and saw an absolutely beautiful rattan desk that just caught my breath. There were other people looking at it but they drifted away. I stood and looked at it and then made myself move away from it. Did I have a place for it? Would it fit in my car? Would I be able to get it out of the car? On and on the questions came and in the end I left without it. When I got home I checked ebay to see if there was anything like it and immediately the regret came. There are similar (but not as nice) desks selling for 500.00 and up. Still kicking myself-and yes it is gone. The price? 40.00.
    Satine