Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wearybuilder

STEM anyone?

wearybuilder
9 years ago

We are trying to get a STEM program started at my daughter's school. STEM (science, technology, electronics, math) is new to me. Should we start it out with Girl Scouts, or try something like the FIRST Program and have it available to the whole school? I'm out of my league on this...I appreciate any guidance you can give me! Thank you so much!

Comments (6)

• maddielee
    9 years ago

Here, the county school system has a few elementary schools that are STEM schools.

The one where our daughter teaches (K) will be STEM certified when school starts in a few weeks. The teachers have a few extra weeks of workshops and classes that they have to attend to learn all the ins and outs of incorporating STEM into the curriculum.

ML

• Mimou-GW
    9 years ago

Our district has been working on their STEM program for a few years now. This was our 3rd summer STEM camp and my kid had a blast. During the school year, my son's program offered a STEAM block (A for art). I think there was a STEM night at each of the schools during the introductory year. They had age appropriate activity stations and kids and parents completed the rounds. I don't know if looking at our district's Stem pages would be helpful or not but I'll provide a link.

Here is a link that might be useful: STEM on the rock

• runninginplace
    9 years ago

I've been a career advisor for STEM students at a university for 20+ years and I *never* thought I'd see the day when engineers were sexy ;).

I'd suggest you reach out to resources that are already in place. If you are dealing with a public school system, contact the central admin to see what if anything they are doing. If private, I would contact the administration with the same question.

If there's nothing in place, check with local universities or colleges that have STEM majors. Sometimes there is an opportunity to partner with them, or perhaps with some of their student organizations in the STEM disciplines. Example-the Society of Women Engineers (SWE), they do tons of outreach.The national engineering honor society Tau Beta Pi (TBP) sponsors outreach programming. Most university engineering programs participate in national Engineers' Week, or EWeek, which is the 3rd week of February--in honor of George Washington who is considered our first engineering president (he was a surveyor, the 18th century equivalent). Our school does a lot of outreach to bring pre-college students over for special events, tours, and design competitions. You can google any of those organizations to get more details

FIRST is a great program too but it entails partnering with corporate technology mentors, raising serious bucks and then competing in national technology device matchs. Probably more than your school is ready to take on initially.

For a more intensive and formal approach that is school-based, there is a curriculum called Project Lead the Way (PLTW) which was in place at my kids' school and is national. I've linked with the website below. It's a fantastic STEM educational program and if your school is interested in participating that might be a great resource.

Good luck, introducing kids to STEM is definitely a great idea!

Here is a link that might be useful: Project Lead the Way

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

Just an FYI, now some places are adding in an "A" for STEAM. Including the arts . . .

Here is a link that might be useful: STEM to STEAM

• jlj48
    9 years ago

Our high school has "Project Lead the Way", and partners with our community college for STEM camps and other educational activities. It's awesome. We have lots of kids from surrounding districts that come to our high school specifically for these programs

• trailrunner
    9 years ago

Thought I would post the link. I had never heard of the programs. This is my nephew !! Hope you find a good one to participate in. c

Here is a link that might be useful: STEM