Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lefleur1_gw

does 100 percent cotton always have spandex now?

lefleur1
10 years ago

I went shopping for some plain all cotton t-shirts .... they ALL had spandex. I know clothes that HUG the body are popular...but...but... shouldn't they be worn only by gals with PERFECT bodies...sigh...even with sit-ups every day I still have a bit of a tummy I don't want to highlight!

Anybody else have this problem?

Comments (13)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I am with you 100%. I hate the way they add spandex to everything. I do NOT want chinos, tee shirts, dress pants, jeans, anything with spandex! I am not at all overweight, but I also have a bit of a tummy that doesn't need anything clinging to it!

• tinam61
    10 years ago

100% cotton is just that - all cotton with nothing added. Many cotton items do have spandex added but it woud not be 100% and it should also have the spandex added on the label.

Personally, I like a bit of spandex. Jeans with a touch of stretch keep their shape and don't stretch out. I even like the tees. Just don't get them tight where they cling. Maybe try a size up. I'm curvy myself and not a skinny-minnie, but I like clothes to fit me. Not clingy or tight - just not bag. I think cotton knit is more likely to bag/sag.

Have you tried supima cotton? You can get it without spandex and I think it seems to hold it's shape better. You might want to give Lands End a look.

tina

• User
    10 years ago

I noticed when I do find something 100% cotton it's so very thin. Ridiculous. I see so many girls and women walking around in t-shirts like that and it's absolutely not flattering on most. It somehow shows every roll and crease.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I continually find clothes that are labelled 100% cotton, yet have some stretch to them because of spandex added. I hate how they feel and look; it's like wearing polyester. It is also apparent there is synthetic somewhere in the mix because, if you put them in the dryer, they get static...pure/all cotton does not make static. It really makes me crazy trying to get all cotton clothes, yet the labels are not truthful.

• deegw
    10 years ago

Ooops. Duplicate post.

This post was edited by deee on Fri, Jul 26, 13 at 6:34

• deegw
    10 years ago

Most of the 100% cotton tees I find are either too thin or clingy. Or, they shrink into an unflattering shape after a few washes. If I find a tee that I like I don't put it in the dryer and they seem to last longer.

I don't think manufacturers can label something 100% cotton and then add spandex. Do you think it might be the weave of the cotton that you don't like? Ribbed cotton can be stretchy.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I find I like the spandex in tops and in bottoms because they move with me. I have a skirt that doesn't have any stretch...fits great when I stand, but when I sit, there's no give so it's not comfortable. A touch of spandex and it would move with me. I never buy them tight that they cling. I always buy them with some ease in them so they look nice, but then when I bend or sit, thank you!

• camlan
    10 years ago

At lower price points in clothing, I think they add the spandex because then they don't have to actually cut and sew the clothes to fit. The added stretch in the fabric takes care of the fit. It's a way to save money, particularly with clothing that is sized S, M, L instead of 6, 8 , 10.

At higher price points, the clothing actually fits well and the spandex is there to add comfort.

There's plenty of 100% cotton out there, but you have to look for it. Land's End, Eddie Bauer, Coldwater Creek, LL Bean all sell some all cotton shirts.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

Going a little off topic: I bought and then returned a shirt to Costco the other day because the fabric was too sheer. I could clearly see my bra through it. And it had spandex in it.

I love Costco, but buying clothes there just isn't worth it. You can't try the clothing on, and in the case of the shirt, it was in a sealed plastic bag, so I couldn't check the fabric thickness.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

I have tops that don't. Check Ann Taylor and Loft. Lands' End and really any large department store.

I am trying to buy more blouse type tops. In looking at my wardrobe this past year, I realized that I just wore t-shirt type tops.

I think there are more choices this year. I felt in years past it was all spandex. Ugg, who can really pull this look off if you are over 50?

I think the trick is to keep shopping. New things come out all the time. Eventually, you will have a good selection, it will just take time.

• golddust
    10 years ago

I bought 100% cotton shirts at J.Jill. I really like them. The sleeves almost hit my elbow and they have a V neck. I bought three in different colors.

• frankginakay
    10 years ago

How did those cotton shirts at J.Jill wash? Do you need to iron them?

• golddust
    10 years ago

They wash great. They are cotton knit. Awesome, as they don't shrink. Buy to fit.