Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
folkvictorian

Pregnant niece - I need advice! (looong)

folkvictorian
14 years ago

My husband's 16-year-old niece, "Mary" is pregnant and will be having a baby boy at the end of July or early August. (Why her parents let an immature 15 y.o. girl date an 18 y.o. boy is another topic for another day) Mary is NOT a sophisticated girl, she's gawky and immature for her age and lives in a small town in the Midwest. (I grew up in and love small Midwest towns, and currently live near several, so don't get me wrong.)

My husband and son and I live in another state so we rarely see my husband's family and we want to keep it that way -- there's always a huge emotional/dysfunctional train wreck occurring with one parent or sibling or another and it's chronic. We trade Christmas cards with my DH's siblings and see my in-laws about 2 times a year.

Our son will be 3 in a couple of months and I still have quite a bit of his baby things and would like to send them to Mary. We haven't received an invitation to a baby shower and I don't know if they'll be having one. I think most of their things will be from thrift sales as Mary's parents are not well off. But here's my dilemma: Mary has a little sister, "Susie", who is 12 or 13 years old. I'm afraid she will be lost in the shuffle once the baby is born and I'm worried that she will not fare well.

Do you think it's a good idea to send these couple of boxes of baby stuff to one sister or is it just going to be another round of Susie watching Mary being the focus of everyone's attention yet again? Do I send along a gift for Susie? If so, what on earth would I send? Or do I not send the boxes of stuff, wait for the baby to be born, and then send a small gift for the baby and another for Susie? (Am I blowing this completely out of proportion??) Thank you in advance for all of your thoughts!

Comments (30)

• Ideefixe
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Is she keeping the baby? I'm guessing yes. I'd send the baby stuff to her mother or to her, but not in a big box with a bow, more of a "can you use these?" way. Me, I'm not so big on a celebration for a teen mom, but the baby can always use clothes.

And after you do that, and before you send the baby a present at birth, send Susie a little something with a thinking of you note. With any luck Susie will see what a nightmare this is and resolve to never let this happen to her.

The less fuss and hoopla around Mary, the better, I think. Sorry if this is judgemental, but she hasn't done anything deserving of reward. The baby needn't suffer, but why make a party out of this?

• IdaClaire
    14 years ago

Why not make a party of it? This is a new life coming into this world, and regardless of the circumstances surrounding the little one's conception, he/she is coming, and deserves to be welcomed into this world with as much fanfare as possible. Definitely send the clothes - with or without a bow, it doesn't matter. Your thoughtfulness will undoubtedly be appreciated. And of course it wouldn't hurt to send a little something for Susie as well. 12 year old girls are all quite different, but most of them like clothes, nail polish, fun accessories, etc. Just a little something to let her know you're thinking of her, and wishing her all the best as she steps into her new role of "Auntie Susie" will be a very kind gesture on your part.

Best wishes to your family. All of them.
    :-)

• User
    14 years ago

I do think it's very nice of you to send some stuff to Mary.

Hmm... I also agree it would be a nice gesture to send something small along to Susie with a note like Jen said.

• teacats
    14 years ago

I will echo Auntjen's sentiments -- the simple truth is that the baby is indeed joining the family! So send along the clothes with a pretty card with good wishes!

And I believe that sending along ANY gift to Susie will simply generate possible conflict at THIS time. BUT -- at the next logical gift-giving occasion (birthday etc.) -- send along a really nice pre-teen gift to Susie.

Meanwhile -- when speaking to the family about the upcoming birth or other matters -- make sure to speak to Susie and inquire about HER own life, goals, feelings etc.

Jan

• golddust
    14 years ago

As a small town girl who found myself pregnant as a teen, I am just chiming in to say this will be no cake walk for Mary. I just hope the parents do not raise this baby for her. If she is choosing to keep it, then she should live with her choice. Her childhood days are almost over. That is punishment enough.

It sounds like the clothing you have would be perfect because your kids will be the same season/same size situation. I really appreciated my older sisters hand me downs from their girls.

I'm 54 years of now and I think you hit the nail on the head with your question of why Mary's parents allowed a 15 yo to date an 18 yo. My parents could have so easily prevented what happened to me. I had no business being with an older boyfriend either but my parents never said a word.

I feel a deep sadness for Mary. My own daughter was not allowed to date older boys and at 15, she was limited to double dates to the movies or the fair. Dropped off and picked up by parents, etc. It's not that hard to prevent teen pregnancy if parents make rules, enforce the rules and pay close attention.

I vote for sending Mary a good parenting book, the baby some hand me down clothes and the younger sister a gift too. When I got pregnant, I felt unworthy and ashamed. I have that old lump in my throat now just remembering those feelings from so long ago. Mary *knows* what people are thinking, trust me.

It's a sad situation all around.

• IdaClaire
    14 years ago

I'll revise my response to say that if you can do so, it would be awfully nice to send Mary a little something, just for herself as well. She's no doubt feeling bewildered at least on some level, and just knowing that you are thinking of her -- not just her baby -- could mean a lot to the girl. Especially if you are sending something to Susie, it would be nice to send a small token to Mary to say "thinking of you" too.

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

I would send the handmedowns, then send a gift if there is a shower, or when the baby is born. Send something for the baby, something for the mother, and really it would be nice to send at least a card (maybe even a picture frame or something) to the grandparents, and at that time you can send something for Susie to "congratulate" her too. I'm assuming there are only the 2 siblings?

I would *also* make an effort to remember Susie at her birthday and Xmas, but then again I'd remember the baby's birthday and send something small for him and his mother at Xmas too. Any time Susie excels at something, make a big deal of it, and she won't be tempted to follow in Mary's footsteps to get attention (though I'm sure Mary didn't do it to get attention - these things happen).

• natal
    14 years ago

Don't quite see why you feel compelled to gift Susie simply because you're handing down baby clothes to her sister. Would you feel the same if you were giving the clothes to a neighbor or co-worker who happened to have other children?

• groomingal
    14 years ago

I would call and talk to them first. Let them know that you had some hand me downs you would be more than happy to send for the baby but you would not be offended if they did not need them, etc. Or ask if she has certain sizes that she needs. So many people load new moms down with newborn- little baby sizes and nothing for later.

I would also call and speak to Susie as well and maybe send her something like an MP3 player, books,- or both- she may need to tune out a newborn!

• golddust
    14 years ago

Susie is about to be exposed to the best birth control ever. It's coming in the form of a nephew. She will see how hard it is to be a young mom and will realize how it has changed her sister's life for good. Gifts won't prevent Susie from following in Mary's footsteps. Her parents should rethink their rules about dating.

I seriously am feeling some strange feelings here because I have been judged and punished by my family in many many little subtle ways over many many years because of what I did.

The real solution to preventing my early pregnancy would have included a little parental guidance, a few rules and supervision. Oh! Sex education would have really helped.

I suspect folkvictorian understands this too, based on her initial post about Mary's parents. Just saying, Mary made a mistake that she will live with the rest of her life but her parents apparently made it very very easy for her to make this mistake. It's easy and clear cut to make Mary the bad girl and Susie the good girl. If this happens, I hope Mary is strong enough to do what I did.

I found myself new people who really cared and who didn't think of me as a slut or worse. Even subtle judgement speaks loudly. Every time my family showered my sister with Xmas gifts, etc., and left me out, my heart noticed. I couldn't help my feelings, which I stuffed behind a smile.

Finally I knew I had to be around people who weren't constantly judging me, leaving me out and constantly making me feel like a bad person. It wasn't good for Aimee to see me cry every time I left after spending another Holiday "at home."

My DD needed me to be happy and healthy. I couldn't be a good mom if I was constantly made to feel guilty, bad and sad by all the people who were supposed to love me.

I am not saying Mary should not pay. If she is choosing to keep this baby, she needs to raise it. I have no tolerance for grandparents who just act like everything is the same and they take over raising their grandchild, while the teen mom lives her life as usual, like she isn't a mom.

But I was only 14. Had sex once and got pregnant. As a grandparent, I think of me and my situation and just shake my head. 'What the hell were my parents thinking, letting me *date* at that age'? Parents! We need to be aware of what teens do when left to their own devices with no supervision.

• folkvictorian
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for responding so quickly. You've given me a lot of different perspectives and that's exactly what I was hoping for.

Ideefixe - yes, she's keeping the baby. The boyfriend appears to be in the picture right now but Mary's folks are saying she has to finish high school (or get a G.E.D.) and be 18 before they can talk marriage. I can't imagine the boyfriend will be around by that point....

Auntjen - yes, this little boy is going to be a wonderful addition to the family and we hope he'll be a happy and healthy little fellow! Thank you for the good wishes! And you're right, I should acknowledge Mary, too, and let her know I'm thinking of her, and not just send the hand-me-downs.

Yes, Ajsmama - I hope Susie learns from her older sister's mistake and does NOT follow the same route. If my in-laws visit us for a long weekend this summer, I'll suggest that they bring Susie (their granddaughter) along so she can have some time away and see a little wider slice of the universe. Like Teacats suggests, I will take the time, one way or another, to talk to Susie to ask how she's doing and what she plans to do later on.

Golddust - my heart goes out to you. It didn't occur to me that Mary knows what people are thinking -- and you're exactly right, she IS in a very tough situation and it's only going to get a lot harder. This is compounded by the fact that her own parents seem to be in denial about what's coming -- the grandma-to-be only seems excited about the prospect of taking the baby in to show off to her co-workers. Mary's parents will definitely be raising this baby, and dare I say, the next one, too. I hope against hope that Mary and the baby don't have a future of poverty and struggle.

Natal - The reason I feel compelled to get something for Susie is that I would guess that she's confused and doesn't know exactly what's going on or what to expect. I was as naive as the day is long when I was 12 and I certainly had no experience with having a newborn in the house. Right now, ALL attention of the family and a great deal of the family budget is being spent on Mary and it'll increase greatly on the baby's arrival. Susie is left behind in a cloud of dust and the most bewildering part of all is that she had NOTHING to do with the creation of this situation, but it will affect her home life for years to come. That's why I feel that I should do something for her.

Groomingal, yes, I can check ahead of time to find out what she needs for the baby, I know how quickly those newborn-sized things are grown out of! It's the experienced moms that know to get larger sizes for gifts, lol!

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

I don't see a reason to get a gift for Susie, but a kind and loving letter would be awesome, I think. Along the way, maybe you can continue to keep in contact with her and see how she is. Keep her in the loop, so to speak, and let her know she is also important to you.

What a great aunt you are!

• never_ending
    14 years ago

Folk- I think it is very kind of you to want to help out, for both girls. It's a tough situation to want to help and prevent hurt feelings and hope you can ward off future problems. No easy way except hope their family uses this as a teaching moment.

Goldust-times have changed so much among the young. I'm not sure how "bad" girls are treated these days. Last year my son was in 7th grade when a classmate became pregnant and came to school with the ultrasound picture! Mistakes happen, but your right- parents can make a difference and in these days where sex ed. is taught as early as 5th grade parents need to address the issue with their children and put it on the table. You are not the only one with your pain.((hug))My aunt and I were just discussing this the other day and how badly she was treated being pregnant in High School and even till this day she can remember the pain. We got on this subject over facebook, and how she has no desire to meet up with any old friends because everyone treated her like a piranha, and the only guy she has kept up with is the one kid who was always nice to her when everyone else ignored her completely. She went on to marry, have other children who all went to college and is now a grandmother. The boyfriend denied it was his child and 30 years later showed up apologizing, wanting in, and graciously she let him. You are an amazing person don't let that old pain haunt you!((hug))

• golddust
    14 years ago

I think it is good Mary's mother works. Mary will have to parent. I hope they have a school for young Moms so Mary may continue her education. They usually offer parenting classes. I went to a continuation school where it was OK to bring your child but two year olds can only color quietly so long. I think I spent years in that hall way, playing with Aimee, before graduating. Thank God this has changed.

Seriously the best gift I received while I was pregnant was from my new FIL. (He was such a dear heart to me.) He went to the book store himself, chose and gave me a parenting book as a little gift. I think I read that book a thousand times. I still have that treasured book and it is obvious it was well used. LOL!

• golddust
    14 years ago

Never Ending, thank you for the hugs. This thread requires a few for me. Yes, maybe times have changed but most of us know how hard parenting is even when you are an adult.

Yes, I lost all my "friends" from school, but really, can you blame those parents? (I do not!!) Yes, very painful memories that I don't dwell on at all. But this topic is a trigger, for sure.

My DD was the best thing that happened to me. She is so wonderful. She is funny, insightful, intelligent, caring, beautiful, helpful and lets me know on a regular basis that she is my greatest fan. She dyes my hair, folds my laundry, makes me Lattes, cleans up after herself and gives me fashion advice. She never sees or talks to me without saying she loves me. Mostly we laugh a lot together. (Two days ago, she made me almost pee my pants!) Now who could ask for anything more?

Thanks for the appreciated hugs. Really.

• scarlet_morgan
    14 years ago

Obviously, I don't know your family personally, but I truly believe Suzie will be just fine. As others have mentioned, just watching her older sister deal with the significant consequences of having a baby as a teen is going to have an enormous impact on her and will most likely serve as a very effect form of birth control, especially if Mary intents to stay in the family home for the time being to raise her new little one.

I would also like to say that I totally agree with AuntJen. What's done is done and there is nothing that can be done to change it now. Mary is a young lady who made a mistake and should not have to hear about it for the rest of her life. I also believe her parents should not be berated for *allowing* their daughter to date a guy who is 18. First of all, did they even know how old he is? At first, you say she is 16 but then you say she was 15 when they were dating. Is it possible that he is 18 now but was 17 when they were dating and she got pregnant? If so, then I don't really see a big issue with the fact that she was dating someone 2 years older. I'm definitely not a big fan of allowing girls to date at 15, but I also believe it should be a decision made by the parents.

Should there have been more rules and more supervision in place? Possibly. However, we are not her parents and we were not there. We do not know exactly what went on. We do not know what the situation was surrounding her involvement with this young man. It is quite possible that there *were* rules in place and she just simply sneaked around and saw him anyway. Most teens are very strong willed and can be quite sneaky! They often will do whatever they want to do if they want to do it badly enough. Parents may do everything in their power to raise their children to make the best decisions possible. However, kids still make mistakes, sometimes really, really big ones. When that happens, I believe you have to acknowledge that you are very disappointed in their *choice* but that you still love them unconditionally. That's just what parents do.

I say this as a person who got pregnant at 16 and became a mom to my first DD at 17. I was an honor student at school and I was very active in my church. My parents did not allow me to date until I was 16 and they were very, very strict about what I did and who I saw. They were VERY overbearing and protective my whole life because they had lost a child before me shortly after he was born. They wanted only the best for me, so they did everything they thought parents should do to teach me how to be a fine young lady with upstanding morals and character. I was in church every time the doors were open and I had rules upon rules that I had to obey. I did very well at school and would have had a scholarship to a very great college if things had gone differently. However, in November of my junior year in high school, I found myself pregnant with my first child. I had been going out in groups since I was 15 and had met my first serious boyfriend who was 2 years older than me. We were finally allowed to 'date' alone when I was 16. My parents were *very* strict about where we went and what we did. However, I wanted to see him more, so I sneaked around and saw him when I was supposed to be at a friends house, babysitting, etc. He was sooooo good looking and I had never had anyone pay me that much attention before. After a while, he started pressuring me to have s e x. I didn't want to lose him as a boyfriend so I finally gave in. My parents were definitely not ones to discuss that three letter word, so I did not know much about it (except what I learned from my friends) and I certainly didn't know about how to obtain birth control. We had only been intimate a couple times when I got pregnant. And, of course, it forever changed my life.

I married my DD's father on Valentines Day and then delivered her the Friday before school started back for my senior year. Thankfully, I'd already doubled up on several classes and had planned to graduate early. I only needed one quarter to graduate so I missed the first quarter, completed the second and then went back at the end of the year to graduate with my class. (My daughter was 9 mos old and attended my HS graduation!) I was not able to go to college right away because we just could not afford it but I did eventually go. My first husband and I divorced after a little less than 4 years of marriage. We were so young and he was definitely not ready to be a husband OR a father. I remarried a year later and we soon added 2 more daughters to the mix. My husband and I will celebrate 19 years of marriage this September! We are very happy and I couldn't ask for anything more!

I've written all of this because my heart goes out to Mary. She has a really tough road ahead of her and she needs so much support and encouragement. I don't know what I would have done without the awesome support I received from my family. Teen pregnancy is so very hard. It is hard on the pregnant teen and it is hard on her family. When it happens, it seems like the worst thing in the world and people just don't know how to respond. They don't know whether to congratulate you or send you a sympathy card. ;o( It is definitely a life altering event but it does not have to be a terrible one. If the teen's parents and the rest of the family rally around her, she can definitely make it! 5, 10, 20 years from now, it can be a sweet and precious memory.....if everyone chooses to make it that way. She can't change the past but, with the help of her family, she can make the future a bright one, for her precious new baby and for herself.

My husband and son and I live in another state so we rarely see my husband's family and we want to keep it that way-- there's always a huge emotional/dysfunctional train wreck occurring with one parent or sibling or another and it's chronic....

If there is this much emotional baggage within the family, I would encourage you to send the clothes with a sweet encouragement note to Mary and leave it at that. Regardless of the circumstance, there is a precious little gift from God on the way. God does not make mistakes, people do. Mary needs to be forgiven and then let her get on with making a life for her new baby and herself. It is going to be difficult enough without the constant scrutiny from everyone else. I will pray for Mary, the baby and for healing within your family. May God bring you all closer together through this little miracle.

Blessings,

Scarlet

• tinam61
    14 years ago

Scarlet -

I just want to thank you for posting your experience. I wish Mary could read it. What an inspiration you would be! Have you ever considered doing some volunteer work, possibly speaking to young mothers, teens who are pregnant, birth control classes, etc.? I think it would be great if you could share your story.

I agree with so much of what you said. I am sorry that Mary is in this situation, but it does NOT have to be the end of the world. She can go on and finish her education (just as Scarlet did), things of course will be harder for her. I hope her parents or someone will let her know that this does not have to be the end of her dreams, but that she will have someone else to put first now.

I don't see this girl as a *bad girl* and I just don't get it that others do. Not the best judgement, but we are all human. And she was not in this alone. I do hope there is some type classes offered where she can learn about parenting, caring for her baby, etc. I hope she can also see that she doesn't need to be ashamed of her circumstances.

I don't believe a baby should ever be thought of as a mistake. The circumstances may not be ideal, but there should be joy in the miracle of a new life. I wish the best to Mary, the new baby and all those involved.

tina

• scarlet_morgan
    14 years ago

Thank you, Tina, for your sweet and kind words. Yes, I have wanted so very much to do volunteer work for our pregnancy crisis center here in our small town and with young moms who already have babies. I also wanted to be involved with the middle and high school kids at my church. However, I have been quite ill over the last couple of years with a very rare disease that has left me pretty much bedridden, so I have not been able to do those things like I had wanted. So for now, I just encourage those that I am able to come into contact with. Before I became sick, I worked many, many years in the medical field so I have had the chance to share my story in the past. I think I have helped at least a handful of people and for that I am thankful. If I have helped even one young mom, my whole experience was worth it.

Scarlet

• theroselvr
    14 years ago

*Note - I started this yesterday but forgot to hit submit.

I have mixed feelings..

Have you considered how much it will cost to mail the clothes? If not, that's the 1st thing I would do.

Next, she would probably get pregnant if she was with someone her own age.. if she is not on birth control she is taking a chance regardless of how old the boy is. I have a 15 year old myself and am going to practice what I preach. She is going to be seen by a GYN this month. I don't know how comfortable you feel talking to her about BC; but it should be done by someone IMO

You can do all that your heart desires but will they appreciate it and if not can you live with that? Will you be ok without a thank you either by phone, text, email or card?

If you normally do not send anything to either kid, I don't think this situation should change it unless you really want to send something; but if you do, it might be expected on a regular basis.

IMO, if you are going to give the clothes can you give it to your hubby's parents to give them the next time you see them? This way it won't be as much of a "gift" as it will be more of handing down.

I think it's great that you want to do something to help but you seem to have mixed feelings about it. I agree that it is not the baby's fault, the child didn't ask to be brought into this world; and depending on the mother/grandparents; who knows if she will learn anything from this? You'd be surprised how many young parents do not. I was also a fairly young mother; he's been my greatest gift and while my dad wanted me to abort him; once he was here he was the apple of my dad's eyes and was until the day he passed. I grew up, but these days, most young parents do not, and do not have to because the parents help out so much.

Teen pregnancy is so different these days, her friends might all think she is "cool". I understand that not all young parents are like the ones I "know".. one actually did grow up and is a wonderful mom; but the majority that I see around here; some don't even raise their children and do it again.

I'll try to post more later.. I had an experience with my hubby's niece back in the fall. It's still very fresh in my mind.. She came here with a 2 year old and is now having baby #2.

• abundantblessings
    14 years ago

Scarlet, thank you for sharing your wisdom and compassion. Sorry that your physical situation is not easy right now, but perhaps you can consider using your gifts to write short stories or a book(s) geared toward teens. Unfortunately, so many children have parents ill-equipped to provide guidance and don't have strong support systems elsewhere. Blessings to you!

Folk, perhaps you can include a copy of Scarlet's post in your note to Mary so that she can imagine better possible outcomes for her and her child's lives. If her family is as dysfunctional as you depict, then I suspect her vision may be quite limited and bleak at this point. She will need lots of support to break the cycle, but she first has to begin to understand that she has another future she can grow into that is not defined by her family's emotional turmoil. It's hard enough for anyone to grow beyond their environment, but will be much tougher to do so as a young, unprepared parent. While you have kept your contact with the others to a minimum, it would be great to provide good books to both sisters so they can hope and redefine their futures. Mary needs a good book on parenting but she also needs to read others that will help in her own maturation process. Suzie will enjoy knowing that you thought of her, and likely needs to be inspired by age-appropriate book(s) also.

I'd also send your son's clothing and a few baby books that Mary can read to her baby along with a note to Mary, not her parents because the baby really is Mary's responsibility. The earlier suggestion of a congrats card to her parents and perhaps a grandparents' framed essay -- you know the kind with a short, wonderful poem about the role of grandparents-- would be a nice (and hopefully helpful) gesture.

• anele_gw
    14 years ago

Oh, poor Mary! Being a parent with tons of support is still very difficult, and being a young, single mom has to be just about one of the hardest things. In the long run, I am sure she will see it as a huge blessing, but getting through these early years will be very tough.

I would check the cost of shipping your things. If it's reasonable, I would definitely send them. If you want to send something to Susie, why not? You could address it as a present for the new aunt . . .she is going to go through a lot soon, too. Even better would be for her to spend a few days with you, but I doubt that is feasible, esp. since you have a 3 yo and don't want to increase contact.

I agree with Scarlet-- this could have happened even if she had been dating someone her age. Having three young children (all girls!) the thing I am trying to instill in them now, even so young, is that you listen to that little voice in your head . . .it really rarely fails. And, that if someone tries to make you do something you aren't comfortable with, that person doesn't really care about you. Recently my DD's friend implied she should do something (that didn't make DD comfortable) just so they could be alike . . .DD did it, and trust me, we had a HUGE talk about that. Recently her cousin said if DD didn't eat a vegetable she wouldn't play with her. I took DD aside and said, as much as I'd love for her to eat that vegetable, she should never do something that doesn't feel right . . .Manipulation by others starts so young (actually, parents often manipulate their own children); so many of us have grown up thinking we need to x to please someone else, to not lose them. I am not saying that I can guarantee none of my children will be young, single parents, and that certainly isn't a death sentence if they are, but I do think this (along with sex education eventually) is the place to start.

• folkvictorian
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you again, everyone, for sharing your thoughts and experiences with me. I've gained a lot of perspective from your answers.

My mom was here for several days and as it turns out, my in-laws will be coming tomorrow or Saturday for a couple of days, so I've been super-busy. Anyway, I called Mary's mom on Sunday and talked to her a bit and will send along the hand-me-downs back with my in-laws, who live in the same town. (They're the new baby's great-grandparents.) When I called Mary's mom, I made it easy on her by starting off with "I understand that you're going to have a new little addition to your family and I was wondering if you'd like some of M----'s baby things?!" -- so that she didn't have to go into any explanation of the situation. She said yes, they could use clothes and things and that they have plenty of the newborn to 6-month stuff, but not the older stuff. Most of my stuff is for an older baby, anyways, since my son is nearly 3, so it should be a good fit.

I bought a card to include for Mary to let her know I'm thinking of her and I'll also include a chatty card for Susie along with a small cash gift. I'll send a congratulations to Mary's folks, too. I know some of the GW replies I've received indicate that Susie doesn't need to receive a gift....but I want to repeat that in my opinion, she's watching Mary be the center of attention and watching the family and everyone else spend money on Mary, so I don't want her to be left behind. The girls' mom said they aren't having any showers for Mary until after the baby is born.

As I see it, there aren't too many terrible decisions that a person can make that result in parties and gift-giving for them. When's the last time anyone threw a party for someone who, for example, robbed a store or dropped out of high school or took too many drugs? Mary decided she was old enough to handle sex and its consequences and Mary's parents decided to let it happen. Mary's mom took her to the family doctor early on, but when the doctor began discussing sex, Mary's response was "Oh, GROSS! I'm not going to do THAT!" and her parents took her for her word. This pregnancy couldn't have been too much of surprise. My in-laws received a call one morning many months ago, from Mary's mom. Both the mom and dad were at work, and Mary and Susie were home and Mary's boyfriend was there. Could FIL please go check on them? My FIL went over to the house to chaperon and found Mary in pajamas and she and her boyfriend were laying on the couch. When my DH and I heard that story we looked bug-eyed at each other and we agreed it was not IF she'd become a teen mother, but HOW SOON.

At the end of the phone conversation with Mary's mom, she said something like - "Yeah, we were thinking of coming down to see you guys -- maybe we can do it in August or something?" Of course I agreed, but I'm wondering if she really believes the whole family, including a newborn and all of the newborn baby gear will be driving 7 hours or if just Mary's parents will come and let a 16-year-old take sole care of the newborn while the folks are away.

I'll leave it at that, and hope and pray that the baby has a bright future and long, happy life.

• golddust
    14 years ago

Bravo! Way to take the high road. I swear, parents of teens need to be diligent.

I hope they will leave Mary home alone with the baby. She is the mom. If she can't be trusted to care for her baby alone, she has no business keeping it.

(Not that I have strong opinions or anything.)

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

Glad you figured it out. As far as the visit, I agree that Mary has to learn to care for her own child, but I hope her parents don't "skip town" as soon as Mary and baby get home from the hospital LOL. New moms, regardless of age, can use a lot of help early on. First-time moms perhaps more so, and single moms most of all. My mom practically lived with us for a month when Ds was born, I was 35 and DH was home for dinner each night!

• IdaClaire
    14 years ago

I think you did very nice thing for all parties involved! While gifts aren't always necessary, I can't think of a time when giving because you want to is anything other than the right thing to do.

Bless you, and may Mary and her baby and everyone in the family be blessed as well.

• folkvictorian
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, Golddust, Ajsmama, and Auntjen - you'll make a wise woman of me yet!

Meanwhile, does anyone have a can of chicken broth? I need it for my dinner recipe tomorrow and forgot to get it when I was at the store today. Duh!

• IdaClaire
    14 years ago

LOL! Seems like I never make it home from the store with everything I intended to buy while there. Lucky for me, DH is our primary grocery shopper, but even when I make quick trips to Walgreens for toiletries and such, I inevitably forget something important that I meant to buy. (And yes, sometimes even when I'm armed with a list!)

• golddust
    14 years ago

I have some chicken broth you can borrow! LOL!

I just remembered DHs B-Day is tomorrow. I just returned from the grocery store. Luckily I remembered while I was shopping and hope I remembered all the ingredients for his (our) favorite cheesecake recipe.

I should make it tonight when it's cooler but I can't because that cheesecake would not leave me alone all day tomorrow. I've decided it must wait to be made tomorrow so I won't eat it all before DH gets home.

• folkvictorian
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Golddust said "I've decided [the cheesecake] must wait to be made tomorrow so I won't eat it all before DH gets home."

Goldy - you're saying it like that would be a BAD thing!

• golddust
    14 years ago

Well, it's pretty hard to fake a Birthday celebration when all the evidence has been eaten.

You don't know me. LOL!