Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimberlyrkb

Invited to too many showers/weddings!

kimberlyrkb
9 years ago

My mother-in-law is the youngest of 13 children. Each of those children had multiple children and grandchildren, and in many cases, great grandchildren. Most everyone lives about 1.5 hours from our home. On average, we are invited to 1-2 wedding/baby shower, wedding/reception, high school graduation open houses per month. I don't know any of these people, and my husband doesn't know most of them, either. Just today I received an invitation to a bridal shower for a woman I've never heard of or met. I don't even know for sure if she is related, but I can't image some random stranger is sending me an invitation out of the blue! (Except that is exactly what happened.)

We cannot afford to send a gift for every one of these events, especially for people we don't know, and frankly, would prefer not to attend them, given that it's a 3 hour round trip drive and we are already attending events with our own families.

What is the best way to handle this? Continue to RSVP with our regrets and simply not send a gift? For the record, we had an open house for our son this year and intended to only invite the closest of relatives. MIL took it upon herself to invite just about everyone in her extended family and maybe a handful showed up or sent cards. We didn't hear from most of them and were not offended.

Comments (5)