Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lyfia

A "cooler" getaway - any recommendations?

lyfia
10 years ago

I have a few days off towards the end in August when my daughter and I could go and do a short trip. She is 4 years old, but is an awesome traveler and loves to go places and see sights as long as we mix in sights with play time such as a park, childrens oriented museums, etc. or any place where she feels she can roam and explore.

We went on a road trip last fall with her to places such as Memphis, Nashville, Lexington, West Virginia park, Washington DC, and ended in NYC. She keeps asking when we can go to NYC again.

San Francisco, London, and Paris are also on her list of where she wishes she could go. Not sure why, but I think San Fransico has to do with a commercial by one of the travel sites on TV and the others I'm not sure. We have been to London, but only flew through there so she says it doesn't count.

DH can't take time off until later this year for us all to do a vacation, but he prefers road trips.

We live in Central Texas and I wouldn't mind going somewhere that is cooler for a few days, but I'm wondering if you have any ideas. I would prefer something if we are flying that we don't have to rent a car to get to where we are going and we won't waste too much time traveling either.

Or should we just stay in Central TX and go to one of the resorts and stay the night, or just make day trips to museums or hit up the zoo really early in the morning, although it is high ninties usually by noon.

She has also expressed wanting to go to the beach and that would be a good thing for us to do as DH is not a beach person. I'm not huge on it, but can for a couple of days.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (16)

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

NYC is easy from Austin. I always take the morning non-stop Delta flight to Newark. It's a pretty easy four hour trip. However, NYC is sweltering in August so you might as well stay local.

I would vote for the beach. It won't be as crowded during that time since summer vacations are winding down and kids going back to school. DH and I are going to Galveston in September after Labor Day. Galveston doesn't exactly have the nicest beach but we found a condo (Diamond Beach) on the beach with a fabulous pool and lazy river. I think the condo has a great kids play area too. There's also Moody Gardens and the Johnson Space Center is about 40 minutes away. We took my nephew there when he was five and four years later, he still talks about it.

• funkyart
    10 years ago

I havent been there-- but what about San Diego? I understand the temps are comfortable year round and there's beach, waterfront and, of course, the zoo.

I've been and would return to SF any time of year-- August/Sept is also a great time for Seattle.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

Maine -- Ogunquit, Portland, Kennebunkport... But you'd need a car.

Boston has lots to do and you could get around without a car. It's hot in the summer but usually starts to cool off a bit at the end of August, and I assume would be cooler than TX. Great children's museum, aquarium, waterfront area, Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market, North End (like NY's Little Italy), art museums... And you could take a day trip to the beach.

San Diego is great but you'd need a car, I think, to get around.

• gwlolo
    10 years ago

San Francisco - Quite cool in summer. In fact Mark Twain reportedly once said "the coldest winter I have ever experienced is a summer in san francisco". Lots for kids to do.

Walk around SF - The ferry plaza market, The seals at Pier 39.
    Muir Woods to see Giant Redwoods
    The crookedest street in the world
    Coit tower
    Point Reyes - The ligh house is a lot of fun
    Cal Academy of sciences
    SF zoo
    Golden Gate park with Stow lake
    The newly renovated Exploratorium
    Hands on art activities at SF Moma and Asian Art museum.
    If you are willing to venture a bit more, there is Alcatraz, Sausalito, Berkeley, Santa Cruz mystery point and board walk, The railroad among trees in Felton (near santa cruz)places in peninsula etc.

You can easily rent a zip car for the days when you want to do day trips. Food of course is awesome!

• lyfia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great suggestions!

We wouldn't be going back to NYC is what I told her. Said we need to go somewhere we haven't been.

I was considering Galveston area just for ease of getting to and we could meet up with Daddy for lunch on the way home as he works on the West side of Houston. But I just don't know if the Beach is something she would enjoy there. I'm thinking it might scare her off beaches although I don't know what it looks like nowadays, but it was full of seaweed and jellyfish last we visited. Besides the brown water .... I considered Padre, but it is so far of a drive for us.

I would love to go to San Diego, but I'm also guessing I would need a car. Don't want to drag along the car seat and deal with extra travel after flying.

I like the idea of Boston, but I do remember it being quite warm still when I was there for work in early September. It sure would be easy transportation wise though to get around. What are things to do that would please mom and kiddo. She isn't old enough to get the history yet, although loves if it is a story. Where would be a good place to stay that is in a safe area and easy to get things? (Work was outside the city so we stayed at an inn near Boxborough and then close to the airport the night before leaving).

That is a great idea on Seattle. I really like it up there, but can't think of things for the kid besides the fish market which may or may not be a hit. Any suggestions?

Great suggestions on San Franscisco. Which part of town would be best to stay to be close to things and be in a safe area? Would love to take her to Muir woods, but looks like we'd need a car for that as we'd be going during the week. I really don't want to drag the car seat along and don't trust rented ones.

• fourkids4us
    10 years ago

I love Seattle and August is the perfect time to go. My SIL lives there and I've only been 3 times, but each time, by coincidence, it was in August and that is when they have the best weather. The last time we went, we took our four kids (they were 2, 4, 6 and 8) at the time, and they all had fun. Let me see if I can remember what we did - it was six years ago. Off the top of my head:

--Woodland Park Zoo
    --Seattle Aquarium (right downtown near Pike Place Market)
    --Space Needle
    --The Locks (really cool - where you can watch the boats go from the sea into the channel using a system of locks), as well as view the salmon steps, where the salmon go up the "ladder" to the lake or down to get to the salt water.
    --Pike Place Market

We also did the Ride the Duck tour which is one of those amphibious vehicles that rides on land and water. Totally touristy but the kids absolutely loved it.

When trying to remember what we did, I found this website - looks like you can buy a pass to get into several of the places I listed.

http://www.independenttraveler.com/travel-tips/pacific-northwest/taking-the-kids-three-days-in-seattle

I think Seattle would be a great option b/c you won't need a car. There is so much to do right in the city and like I said, August is the perfect time of year to visit (never had any rain any of the times we were there).

• Olychick
    10 years ago

In Seattle, more things...the monorail (that takes you to the Seattle Center -where the Space Needle is) from downtown and is also the location of the new Chilhouly glass museum and garden. I think even a child would love it. Also located there is the Experience Music Project (with a variety of things for children, may or may not be an interest). The Seattle Children's Museum (a little out of the way, but on a bus line). You can take a ferry ride (30-40 min) from downtown to Bainbridge Island, no car needed. There you can walk (short and easy) to town for lunch or ice cream and ride the ferry back to Seattle.

There is also an amazing new Ferris wheel right on the waterfront. I haven't been on it yet, but I'm guessing the views are spectacular. Seattle is crazy busy with tourists in August and it may be too late to get a hotel room. Last year my friends tried to get a reservation in the central downtown area and it was impossible in August.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

Depending on your budget, there are tons of hotels in Boston. You could also stay in Harvard Square, accessible to Boston easily via subway. In terms of things for kids to do (and you'd enjoy at least some of this too): Museum of Natural History at Harvard, Children's Museum, New England Aquarium, Museum of Science, Institute of Contemporary Art, Museum of Fine Arts. Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market for shops and food, and North End for pizza or pasta. Also Copley Square with Trinity Church and the mall. Walking down Newbury Street, window shopping. And the public garden and Boston Common, with a ride on the swan boats. That will all keep you busy for a few days!

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Outside of Bastrop,TX(45 minutes from Austin), Hyatt Regency has a very out of the way resort called Lost Pines. They offer tons of activities for kids as well as adults. My DD and DH have gone there to be by themselves several times since finding this little gem, and took the kids, 3 and 6, last summer~they had a ball!

Here's the link so you can read about it. The grounds are gorgeous!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lost Pines Resort

• gwlolo
    10 years ago

In San Francisco, I would stay in the city near Union Square as you are close to transportation options including cable car etc.

• lyfia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the specific information everybody! Going to look over the options and view the websites for different sights this weekend and see what interests my daughter as well. I really liked Seattle, Boston, and San Francisco when visiting there myself. I guess we'll have to see what is available in hotels and air travel too.

I have been looking at those resort places here in TX though, but I ruled out Hyatt's Lost Pines. Too close to home for wanting to pay for staying there overnight. I drive by there everyday and it is less than 20min from the light at Riverside off 71 in traffic to get there. I was looking at the ones in San Antonio, Galveston, and Woodlands.

Edit: If anybody has any specific hotel recommendations my budget is pretty open as in I'm willing to pay higher than the average rate, but don't want the really really high ones as I don't think with as little time as we'll spend in the hotel room that it is worth it. I generally prefer a 4 or 5 star hotel. But really what matters more to me is that it is clean, family friendly (as in allow children) and close to everything and transportation since we won't have a car.

This post was edited by lyfia on Fri, Aug 2, 13 at 9:32

• deniseandspike
    10 years ago

Have you checked into the indoor waterpark in Grapevine? We wanted to go for the weekend this summer to escape the heat but with a new dog, we won't be able to get away until this fall. It's supposed to be really great and lots of fun for the little ones.

They also have the train that goes from Grapevine to the Fort Worth Stockyards that sounds fun. We haven't done it yet but supposedly they run the cattle down the road a noon at the stockyards.

https://www.grapevinetexasusa.com/ThingsToDo/GrapevineVintageRailroad/tabid/267/Default.aspx

Here is a link that might be useful: Great Wolf Lodge

• lyfia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

D, I ruled that out as we are already going to a water park that same week. I appreciate the idea though. If you are planning on going they do offer pretty good deals at times. I get them forwarded from a friend at times - saves me from having to sign up myself and clutter my inbox, but if I knew I was going I'd sign up in the mean time.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Another idea lyfia. I'm taking my son to Hearst Castle(tickets purchased online)which is in San Simeon, Ca for his birthday on August 15~he's quite a bit older than your DD, but it's something he's always wanted to see. We're actually staying in San Luis Obispo, but will be renting a car and driving to Santa Barbara, as well as several other sights on the coast. You could just stay in SLO as there would be enough to see/do. It will be a lot cooler than this TX weather so i'm looking forward to it as much as he.

Here's a link with info.....

Here is a link that might be useful: SLO

• Faron79
    10 years ago

This may kinda shock some here...but I'm being serious!

How 'bout up here in Fargo, ND!??!
    We're having a GORGEOUS run of weather here! 75-80, & upper-50's at night, & it'll continue too! 1 hr. west of Fargo is Jamestown, ND where there's a couple white BISON!

Faron

Here is a link that might be useful: Tripadvisor-Fargo, ND

• deniseandspike
    10 years ago

There is also the "coolest" place in Texas that I looked into. Fort Davis up in the mountains. There is a hotel there if you want to skip the camping and they offer jeep tours of the local ranch.

http://www.fortdavis.com/activities.html

There is also the McDonald Observatory that is close by that is supposed to be really nice.

http://mcdonaldobservatory.org/

The artesian spring pool that is at the nearby Balmorhea State Park is supposed to be really nice but I haven't been there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sproul Ranch