Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlsch

Best Plastic Bins for Storage

jlsch
10 years ago

I have always preferred buying Rubbermaid large plastic bins as they seem to be more durable than others I've tried. However, I am having a harder time finding them in stores. It seems that places are now selling Sterilite containers more. Do any of you have Sterilite large containers and do they hold up? I'm also love to hear what you use and like. I'm also particular about the closures as some can be such a pain to open. I'm looking for a container to store Christmas ornaments as well as other things.

Comments (13)

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

We have both. Most of the newer stuff we have is sterilite, because their stuff is often on sale at Target, and I can usually get DH to go with me to pick up more of the large size ones when we need them! I also have some from The Container Store (recent sale) that I use in my closet.

Depending on the lid type (snap on, snap/wrap "handles" etc.) some lids stay on better than others, no matter the brand. Sturdiness of the plastic also depends on the box itself--thinner plastic vs thicker type, labelled as being "heavy duty" but all the ones e have seem fine.

• luckygal
    10 years ago

I buy the cheapest bins I can find, usually on sale at Canadian Tire. I also try to not 'need' too many bins as believe many of us have way too much 'stuff' and I have certainly been guilty of that. I used to store all my Christmas stuff in bins but changed over to boxes as they fit better together and I can get more in the 'Christmas' closet. So I actually have some empty bins now that I have edited my house. My bins don't get heavy use so even the cheapest brands are fine. I only use them for things I would probably never miss if I gave them away. Must work on that.

I love those specially designed bins to store Christmas ornaments but can't justify the cost and really need to edit my Christmas stuff but keep putting it off year to year.

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

I prefer Rubbermaid also, but Sterelite seems to be the only option these days. I have found, however, that each year they come out with different versions, so the lids are not interchangeable.

Ive been using the same Sterelite bins for holiday storage for at least 6 years-theyre stored in the garage attic and have held up well. A couple Rubbermaid tubs have been in use for over 10 years. For the type of once-a-year use, they are good. For regular use, go with Rubbermaid.

I like the kind that has the fold down flaps, bit they don`t seem to hold as much as the lidded type.

• User
    10 years ago

Sterilite brand had the size and shape we needed for our basement storage framework. They have the wrap around closure fittings at each end where they snap over the handles. So far, no problems.

• allison0704
    10 years ago

I am so jealous of your storage room - so organized and non-cluttered! I have a variety of containers, but the last ones I bought were from an office supply store, clear with locking handles. I really like them, and they were on sale. We have Rubbermaid hard plastic shelves and similar but deeper ones sold at Home Depot.

• jlsch
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow KSWL! I am so envious. Will you come to my house and help me get organized?! That is truly amazing. I was able to find Rubbermaid brand at Home Depot, so am good for now. Thanks for all the responses.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Wow, kswl, that is some storage space!

We also use the very large Sterelite which are like 33 gallons, which are now holding all our books and CD's while we finish up the home office.

• User
    10 years ago

Yes, I have a THING for storage!

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

Kswl~ It's amazing how many sites have grabbed your
    photo !
    You have my dream storage as well.

• User
    10 years ago

"I prefer Rubbermaid also, but Sterelite seems to be the only option these days." I agree with this.

I have more Sterelite ones and they're in the attic. Some have the snap over sides and some have regular lids. I had one regular lid crack along the side/top. Consider buying the snap ones if possible.

Kswl - I thought my attic looked decent until I saw that. :) That's awesome!

• OllieJane
    10 years ago

kwsl, do they sell the framework on the Sterlite website. Yours looks silver to me, and the one on the website looks white.

We are moving to a smaller house and I need a viable storage solution-LOVE YOURS!! Thanks for posting it!

• User
    10 years ago

Ours is white also--- it just looks silver in the photo. We purchased the frames at Bin Warehouse online and have been very happy with them. If sterilite has a similar product, just make sure all the holes are pre drilled!