Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinam61

Vitamin C for the face - - -

tinam61
10 years ago

Didn't want to hijack the other thread, so decided to start this one.

Rose said she uses Cellex C and I googled that and found several places to buy. Rose - what product(s) do you use in that line?

If you use another vitamin C, and like it, please post.

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• User
    10 years ago

When I buy the Cellex C I get the Hydra B complex serum as a bonus. I use it in the winter, I find it helps plump the skin.

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

I'm making my own vitamin C serum. I just restarted, so I can't tell you about the results yet. I bought L Ascorbic Acid powder from Amazon. I mix a half teaspoon with 4.5 teaspoons of rosewater, but you can use distilled water. Some people add a drop or two of glycerin, but I didn't like how that felt on my face. I put it into a cobalt blue spray bottle. It's important that you don't put it in a clear bottle, because light makes it go bad quickly. I have been spraying it on my body, and spray some on my hands to put on my face. As my skin gets used to it I will increase the amount of Vitamin C powder in the mix.
    There are all kinds of recipes on the internet. Google DIY Vitamin C serum.

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

terriks does it have to be in spray form? I battled an eyelid dermatitis for 8 months and am now excruciatingly careful about what I use on my eyes but can use creams, serums etc elsewhere on my face. Seems it would be near impossible to spray and not hit around the eye area.

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

It definitely does not have to be a spray. Mine is a spray simply because the cobalt blue bottle that I bought has a spray cap. It seems like most people apply it with a cotton pad.
    Since I can spray it I decided to use it on my whole body since it's easier to spray my legs, etc. than to use a cotton pad on them. I got the "recipe" from the MakeupAlley reviews linked to below. You may have to register to view, so here's the basics:

5% Serum-1/4 tsp Powder-4 & 3/4 tsp base
    10% Serum-1/4 tsp Powder-21/4 tsp base
    15% Serum-3/8 tsp Powder-2 1/8 tsp base
    20% Serum-1/4 tsp Powder-1 tsp base

Increase potency slowly (like every week or every other week). It will burn, but tough it out and it will be worth it! You can fan your face to help with the burn too. Also, dabbing rather than swiping helps prevent some of the burning.

She is right about the burning. Before I found this recipe I mixed a batch way too strong. My neck and chin got very red and irritated.

Here is a link that might be useful: MakeupAlley DIY Vitamin C reviews

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

Thanks, terriks - that's very helpful. What are your *expected* results? Is this mostly for evening skin tone?

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

Well, I expect to look at least ten years younger...
    But I would settle for more even skin tone and fewer lines.

• golddust
    10 years ago

Terriks, I just ordered some from Amazon. Thanks for the link.

• tinam61
    Original Author
    10 years ago

How long did you use it before? Not long enough to tell results?

I think I would like something in a cream form and to be honest, am a bit leary of mixing my own. Thanks for the info - will have to check it out further.

Thanks Rose!

tina

• tinam61
    Original Author
    10 years ago

How long did you use it before? Not long enough to tell results?

I think I would like something in a cream form and to be honest, am a bit leary of mixing my own. Thanks for the info - will have to check it out further.

Thanks Rose!

tina

• golddust
    10 years ago

I'm a total DIY person. I petitioned for both kids adoption, did my old divorce, remodeled two kitchens and two bathrooms. Mixing a serum sounds like cake.

(I'll be writing for advice after I burn my face off.)

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

I only used it for a week or so before, then we went on vacation and I didn't think it would be a good idea to bring some white powder in my carry on. ;)
    When we got back I just didn't start up again until now